RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners and Receivers Forums > Uniden Forums > Uniden Bug Reports

Uniden Bug Reports Use this forum for serious discussion of possible or known bugs (e.g., design flaws) or critical issues specific to certain models. Please use the Uniden Tavern forum for rants about deficiencies or flaws in hardware.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2014, 11:06 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaesumofo View Post
I am very happy that UPman made that posting.
This is a model outcome. Textbook. Uniden knows exactly where the problem is and how it happened.
they know how to fix it too.
So once they know exactly how many units are involved they will build up a repair kit for each radio.and then arrange to install it. I suspect they will want to work on the units headed for the retail chain so that sales are not impacted.
Uniden wants to make us happy.
They send us a fixed or new radio in exchange for our bad unit that requires repair. A basic swap......Or we can send our radios in (in serial number order)for repair so they do not get overwhelmed by hundreds or thousands (very doubtful) of radios.
Now that we know that all will be well, we can relax.
Sure there are some people out there who are upset and will not get over it until they have a new or repaired radio in their hands.Oh well.

I don't mind plugging the Headphones (Sony 7506) into the speaker output on the rear. Care must be taken to keep the volume LOW or risk blowing the headphones or worse yet EARS out.

I look forward to hearing what the radio is really supposed to sound like.

Yaesumofo
Make for sure you do NOT activate the Wx Alert Monitor because if the warning siren should sound it may permanently damage your hearing.
Sponsored links
Old 02-06-2014, 9:25 AM
Uniden Representative
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Our goal is to set up a process that gets a scanner back into your hands within a week of sending us yours. To do so, we are building a stock of known good units. Also working with our package delivery carriers to create a clear reverse logistics work flow.

When we have it set up, I'm going to ask that those of you who only know of the issue through this thread (i.e. you don't use headphones on a daily basis) wait a couple of days and let the folks who rely on the headphone output to go to the front of the line.
Old 02-06-2014, 9:31 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

When we have it set up, I'm going to ask that those of you who only know of the issue through this thread (i.e. you don't use headphones on a daily basis) wait a couple of days and let the folks who rely on the headphone output to go to the front of the line.

That's a reasonable request. As luck would have it, just a few days ago I tossed out the original packing box. If you could also include some packaging instructions, that would be helpful. Thanks!
Old 02-06-2014, 9:34 AM

Sorry to stick this here but the thread you made the announcement is locked.

UPman, is it safe to say for those of us who have been sitting on the fence waiting to get one of these new units should wait until the local store(s) inventory gets swapped out?

Maybe wait something like 30-60days?

Would there also be a way for some to go back to their local store to have these units swapped out or does it all need to go through Uniden?

Are there any 436's effected by this also?

Thank you for your information. I look forward to hearing better reviews when others have their units swapped out.
Old 02-06-2014, 9:36 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Upman,

My 536 has the issue however it is a low priority for me unless it will effect the siren app. Do you know if it will?

Thanks.
Sponsored links
Old 02-06-2014, 9:42 AM
FL, GA, AL, MS Admin
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

Sounds good to me. I never use my headset so I will wait and let those who do have priority.
Old 02-06-2014, 9:46 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Is an explanation available? If it something like, ground this, move this cable over here, I'd just do it myself vs sending in. Warranties don't concern me much as I peek inside just about everything I buy.
TH-72A, Icom T7H, RS Pro 83, Uniden Washington
Old 02-06-2014, 12:44 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

UPMan:

Thank you for the updates on the headphone issue. Do you want/need those of us with the issue to send you (or another Uniden contact) our Serial Numbers or other unit identfiers at this stage (prior to announcing the return/logistics process)? Or should we wait until we hear back from you? An answer to this question now may help quell folks here who are wondering the same thing.

Regards - Mike
Old 02-06-2014, 12:50 PM

If you read his original posting at the top he said wait and be patient. It was in plain english
Sponsored links
Old 02-06-2014, 12:54 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Will Uniden be sending us waybills to return the units? What does one do if they are in Canada?

My GRE's: GRE PSR-400, GRE PSR500, GRE PSR600, GRE PSR-800
Old 02-06-2014, 12:59 PM

What I think will happen is that we will call a special phone number and give them our serial numbers and then we will print out a pre-paid label and ship it back and they will ship us a re-furb unit. They are probably sodering on new parts as we speak right now in some garage in downtown forth worth texas.

HAHA. Thats my guess
Old 02-06-2014, 1:11 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ofd8001 View Post

That's a reasonable request. As luck would have it, just a few days ago I tossed out the original packing box. If you could also include some packaging instructions, that would be helpful. Thanks!
O man don't ever do that Keep your Package if you can)

Course I'm a little pack rat I keep all of my boxes when I had my BC780 which was for about 5 years I had the box that it went in and the Papers and accessories having it got me more money when I sold it.. I got my box for my Wii's and my Cell phones and other things but I can understand as well sometimes all these boxes do is lead to clutter.. I keep my in check though

And more in likely it would be best to Just ship it in a Good Sturdy Box Bubble Rapped I've even double boxed some of my things that I ship for and add extra piece of Protection..
Old 02-06-2014, 1:24 PM

Most scanner owners know never to throw any boxes away and keep all of the manuals and packaging too. This is so when you get tired of your old trash it becomes somebody else treasure.

It also keep the value of your radio too.
Old 02-06-2014, 1:28 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPMan View Post
Our goal is to set up a process that gets a scanner back into your hands within a week of sending us yours. To do so, we are building a stock of known good units. Also working with our package delivery carriers to create a clear reverse logistics work flow.

Perhaps for those of us in Canada a new unit could be delivered once you have the serial number of the old unit and that way we could just send it back in the old packaging .. Receiving and sending over the border sucks.

Old 02-06-2014, 1:38 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepsima1 View Post
Most scanner owners know never to throw any boxes away and keep all of the manuals and packaging too.
LOL, I'd have to own a warehouse to keep all of my boxes.
TH-72A, Icom T7H, RS Pro 83, Uniden Washington
Sponsored links
Old 02-06-2014, 1:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepsima1 View Post
What I think will happen is that we will call a special phone number and give them our serial numbers and then we will print out a pre-paid label and ship it back and they will ship us a re-furb unit. They are probably sodering on new parts as we speak right now in some garage in downtown forth worth texas.

HAHA. Thats my guess
I don't know if I would use the word refurb unit, people will want a small refund because they purchased a new unit and will receive a refurb unit in it's place.

Old 02-06-2014, 2:02 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I wonder if this will cause an additional delay in the release of the siren app?

Old 02-06-2014, 3:20 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Paul,

THANK YOU for the post and the resolution that's coming. I am happy to hear the issue will be taken care of soon.

Just as an FYI, I have tried to use my radio leveraging the rear speaker jack. I found that connecting the cables to my computer, the headphone jack to the line input jack on my computer generates a tremendous amount of interference noise. Even when the radio is off.

The rear jack is very clean, almost zero noise. I did notice one odd behaviour where the radio still outputs sound via the internal speaker while there is a cable plugged in to the rear speaker jack. I have my volume set at 15 - 20 ... even when low, it is present but hardly noticeable. If set really loud, it can be heard readily.

I assume most folks use the speaker jack connected to external speakers so it masks the leaking sound from the internal speaker. Since I am using headphones to my PC, it is quiet enough in the room that when I put the headphones down, I hear the audio leak. My wife also complained she could still hear it.

Once the headphone jack is fixed, this will be a moot point for me

Thanks once again.
Old 02-06-2014, 3:24 PM
Uniden Representative
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Regarding paragraph 2, did you use a stereo plug into the headphones jack?
Old 02-06-2014, 3:36 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Paul, I tried the following combinations while troubleshooting / researching:

Direct Connections from Radio to PC
-Stereo Mini to Stereo Mini (mono only left audio, noise present)
-Mono Mini to Stereo Mini (mono, both ears, noise present)
-Mono Mini to RCA Stereo to Switch Box. Switchbox to PC via RCA to Stereo Mini (mono, both ears, noise present)

Indirect Connections
-Mono Mini to Stereo Phono to Behringer Q502USB and then Stereo Phono to Mini Stereo on PC (mono, both ears, noise present)
-Same as above except connection to computer was via USB sound option on the mixer. While a bit cleaner, noise was still present.

---

The above was all from HEADPHONE jack.

I repeated each test from the rear speaker out jack with much better results, basically noise free, both hiss background noise and interference/faulty grounding type induction noise.