RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners and Receivers Forums > Uniden Forums > Uniden Bug Reports

Uniden Bug Reports Use this forum for serious discussion of possible or known bugs (e.g., design flaws) or critical issues specific to certain models. Please use the Uniden Tavern forum for rants about deficiencies or flaws in hardware.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-16-2014, 4:05 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzalu View Post
It also isn't keeping time or date even after 12 hours being plugged in. Please let me know what I should do.

Thank you sir.
It has been mentioned in many of the threads that you need to keep the scanner plugged in AND TURNED ON for 50 hours to charge the internal battery that keeps the date and time.
Sponsored links

Old 03-17-2014, 8:24 AM
Uniden Representative
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

RICHK107: Our records indicate that this unit (38000038)was fixed before it was ever shipped into distribution. Are you hearing a high level of background noise on it when using standard (not noise-canceling) earphones?
Old 03-17-2014, 9:50 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Headphone Campaign Details

I'm happy to report that my 536 arrived at Uniden on Thursday, and was fixed and shipped back out on Friday. Can't wait to get it back this coming Thursday.
Old 03-17-2014, 9:58 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithken View Post
It has been mentioned in many of the threads that you need to keep the scanner plugged in AND TURNED ON for 50 hours to charge the internal battery that keeps the date and time.
And I have read MULTIPLE THREADS to know that too... so yes, I have had it ON for more than 3 days straight, and it still asks me for the ZIP on start-up. Date and Time seem to now be sticking. I will test it again tomorrow morning as I want to make sure it is running for a lot longer before I check it again.
Old 03-17-2014, 10:24 AM
Completely Banned for the Greater Good
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

What kind of battery needs 50 hours to charge-up? Is there a super-low trickle charge being supplied to it?
Sponsored links
Old 03-17-2014, 1:12 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

ATT Upman

Unit Returned Less Sensitive

The 536 I sent in (RMA 181) was able to hear the NJ Phase II West Orange site here at my home and listening to Newark Fire TG with a variation of signal between 1 and 3 bars. Over the weekend I reloaded the favorites list into the unit Uniden returned to me. Now I get no bars or a flickeringl1 bar and MAYBE now and then a burp of audio.

I also own a 436 and with the first 536 I could sit both on my desk and hear the same traffic on Newark Fire. Now with the returned 526 from Uniden I no longer hear Newark on the repaired 536.
Old 03-17-2014, 3:27 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Angry

ATTENTION UNIDEN/UPMAN!

Just plugged my headphones into the scanner I received back from Uniden for the first time since I received it last Tuesday, and it still has the noise. Verifiable that when I push the "menu" button that beeps, I get an ear full of white noise...

VERY DISAPPOINTED... What do I do now with my second hand unfixed scanner?

S/N received back: ...1765
Old 03-17-2014, 3:35 PM
Uniden Representative
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

First, what headphones are you using.
Old 03-17-2014, 3:38 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPMan View Post
First, what headphones are you using.
Heil Pro Set

ETA: Tried it with a set of original generation apple earbuds, and there is no noise on button press, just popping, so it appears that this circuit likes low impedance headphones?

apple is like 32 ohms
Heil is 200 ohms.

The Heil's seem way more sensitive thus louder for the same volume compared to the apple.
The noise is in the background on the apple earbuds, but still present.

Last edited by KF7IJZ; 03-17-2014 at 3:43 PM..
Sponsored links
Old 03-17-2014, 3:41 PM
Uniden Representative
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

And, what was your RMA# or SRO#?
Old 03-17-2014, 3:45 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:

Also, the Heil headset is what I used on my previous 536. I think the noise is worse on this new model.
Old 03-17-2014, 3:48 PM
Uniden Representative
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

200 Ohms is a problem. Scanner is going to only work with headsets rated ~32 Max.

Do you have real loud popping, or just low-level tick?
Old 03-17-2014, 3:52 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
200 Ohms is a problem. Scanner is going to only work with headsets rated ~32 Max.

Do you have real loud popping, or just low-level tick?
For the Heil, it's a VERY loud hissing - as in, the audio doesn't overcome the noise until you get above 8-10 on the volume, and once you turn up past that, you get distortion on the input signal.

On the earbuds, it's what I consider a pop, but that's a bit subjective. The noise is still present in the background as well, though faintly (can detect it on apple earbuds with volume around 10). On a P25 digital system, I'm expecting near absolute silence.
Old 03-17-2014, 3:55 PM
Uniden Representative
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzalu View Post
Followup report.

Since Paul has said that they believe it has to do with Noise Cancelling headsets (I have tried quite a few without NR and still have noise) I decided to keep testing.

Dug up my iPhone 4 earbuds and they DO NOT have the noise!! Jesuchrist. There is a slight pop on each transmission end and any menu changes or key presses but it is very minor.

Now here it gets even more interesting. I dusted off a very old pair of Sony Noise Cancelling Headphones, Model MDR-NC5 and they also DO NOT have the noise. Even if I turn on NR, it is noise free.

A pair of Dell Laptop earbuds (they came with it, very old, like maybe 5 years old) does not have the noise although it has a lot of noise when inserted and moved around. I suspect the connector is not properly machined and will not go in all the way. It is monaural on the 536 yet stereo on the laptop or desktop headphone jacks.

A pair of Logitech Gaming Headphones (with microphone boom) have the noise. Those are not noise cancelling headphones.

I am so confused and torn now. What the heck to do?
Can you find the specs on the "bad" non-NC headsets (we know that NC headsets are hit-and-miss...as another example the MDR-NC7 is noisy but NDR-NC8 is not; this is true across multiple devices, not just scanners).

If they are high-impedance headsets (i.e. >32 Ohms) that could explain entirely. The scanner is spec'd for Max 32 Ohm impedance on the earphone jack.
Old 03-17-2014, 4:10 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

His MDR-5NCs are 17ohm.

The manual states

"You can use an optional 32Ω stereo headset or earphone with your scanner. Use of an incorrect earphone or headset might be potentially hazardous to your hearing. The output of the phone jack is monaural, but you will hear it in both headphones of a stereo headset.
Set the volume to a comfortable audio level coming from the speaker before plugging in the earphone or headset. Otherwise, you might experience some discomfort or possible hearing damage if the volume suddenly becomes too loud because of the volume control or squelch control setting. This might be particularly true of the type of earphone that is placed in the ear canal."

So, probably, effectively 16-32 ohms.

So, is it possible that there never was a problem and they were recalled because no one talked about impedance until now?

ETA: Sony MDR-NC7 are 33 ohm powered, 100 ohm non powered (so these should be fine when NC is turned on?)
Sony MDR-NC8 are 17 ohms powered, 19 non powered.

Last edited by KF7IJZ; 03-17-2014 at 4:14 PM..
Sponsored links
Old 03-17-2014, 4:14 PM
Uniden Representative
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

There was definitely a problem. But, I think some of the "after" rework problem reports might not actually be problems.
Old 03-17-2014, 7:29 PM

Quote:
RICHK107: Our records indicate that this unit (38000038)was fixed before it was ever shipped into distribution. Are you hearing a high level of background noise on it when using standard (not noise-canceling) earphones?
Well, apparently my noise cancelling headphones are the culprit. Pulled out my old reliable Earhugger EH-710 headphones and the radio sounds great.

Thanks for the quick response UPMan and sorry for the false alarm.

Rich
Old 03-17-2014, 8:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIScanner101 View Post
What kind of battery needs 50 hours to charge-up? Is there a super-low trickle charge being supplied to it?
BCD536HP < UnidenMan4 < TWiki
Old 03-18-2014, 1:52 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Not sure if your question is to me? My rma is 181

ATT Upman

The 536 I sent in (RMA 181) was able to hear the NJ Phase II West Orange site here at my home and listening to Newark Fire TG with a variation of signal between 1 and 3 bars. Over the weekend I reloaded the favorites list into the unit Uniden returned to me. Now I get no bars or a flickeringl1 bar and MAYBE now and then a burp of audio.

I also own a 436 and with the first 536 I could sit both on my desk and hear the same traffic on Newark Fire. Now with the returned 526 from Uniden I no longer hear Newark on the repaired 536.
Old 03-18-2014, 7:10 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvnews View Post
Not sure if your question is to me? My rma is 181

ATT Upman

Have you verified that the Global Attenuator is turned off? Hold on a channel then press Function once and then press and hold 4.