RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners and Receivers Forums > Uniden Forums > Uniden Bug Reports

Uniden Bug Reports Use this forum for serious discussion of possible or known bugs (e.g., design flaws) or critical issues specific to certain models. Please use the Uniden Tavern forum for rants about deficiencies or flaws in hardware.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2014, 1:24 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default Re: Uniden 436/536HP clock problems

When prompted, answer no to charging.

The scanner does not charge unless you tell it to.
Sponsored links
Old 04-03-2014, 1:27 PM

I have had my new 436HP for a week now and I have only had to set the clock once and that's it. Never had to reset it. The batteries have even worn out and I replaced them since I have not used the rechargable ones yet.

Not sure what the complaints are.
Old 04-03-2014, 1:40 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by krokus View Post
Would there be a way to turn off the internal charger for the AA batteries? That way the internal battery can charge, without applying a charge to the removable batteries.

Sent via Tapatalk
UPMan's post says leave the radio "turned on w/power". When it's turned on, there will be no charging going on.

I, too, have left the radio with dead batteries in it for several hours, and not had a clock issue.
Old 04-03-2014, 8:21 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by redburgundy View Post
Mine draws 0.02 amp at 120 volts.
I don't have a way to measure the current at 5 volts.
Sorry, I forgot, I do have a little device (called "Charger Doctor") that measures USB voltage and current.

The BCD436HP draws 0.30 to 0.32 amps at 4.86 to 4.88 volts.
Old 04-03-2014, 9:36 PM
Uniden Representative
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Under what conditions? The current will vary depending on whether you are scanning, whether it is producing audio, or any of several other factors.
Sponsored links
Old 04-03-2014, 9:47 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPMan View Post
Under what conditions? The current will vary depending on whether you are scanning, whether it is producing audio, or any of several other factors.
It doesn't seem to vary very much.
Holding on a talkgroup with no audio, the current is between 0.28 amp and 0.29 amp.
With audio, it's slightly more.
Old 04-03-2014, 11:49 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Uniden 436/536HP clock problems

Quote:
1) Select serial mode for the USB.
2) Leave the scanner turned on w/power for a long time to charge the internal battery (they clock does not run off of the AA's).

I have never used the scanner to charge - only using my normal external AA charger unit.

and I found that simply leaving the scanner running charges something so that it stops asking for time and date. So it isn't needed to be plugged in at all (other then update I haven't ever used a USB cable for anything but access to the flash)

So it's not using the AA but being "on" will charge the super-cap from the AA
Old 04-04-2014, 6:24 AM
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Set Clock

I have never charged mine since day one. The first time I turned it on I set the clock. I have it turned on each day for sometime and have run low on chage many times and the scanner powered off but always had spare batteries to replace. So After the initial turn on I have never seen the set clock screen again. So it has to charge off the AA batteries. I never charged them in the radio, I've always used an external MaHa charger.

Les

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellykeeton View Post
I have never used the scanner to charge - only using my normal external AA charger unit.

and I found that simply leaving the scanner running charges something so that it stops asking for time and date. So it isn't needed to be plugged in at all (other then update I haven't ever used a USB cable for anything but access to the flash)

So it's not using the AA but being "on" will charge the super-cap from the AA
http://W8MSP.com
E-Mail W8MSP@W8MSP.com
E-Mail detroit780@radioreference.com
Old 04-04-2014, 7:50 AM

The other feature I wish it had was a connector to plug an adapter (outside power source) to the 436. I liked this feature on my Pro-164. I'm able to operate it with an adapter I bought at radioshack and leave it plugged in and running all day.

With the 436, unless you buy rechargable batteries, you're screwed.
Sponsored links
Old 04-04-2014, 8:16 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Re: Uniden 436/536HP clock problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by rad1oreference View Post
The other feature I wish it had was a connector to plug an adapter (outside power source) to the 436. I liked this feature on my Pro-164. I'm able to operate it with an adapter I bought at radioshack and leave it plugged in and running all day.

Plug a USB cable in. Plug a USB power adapter (of which you surely have many) into the cable and a wall socket. Press '.' on the radio. You're welcome.
Old 04-04-2014, 8:29 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by rad1oreference View Post

The 436 runs fine even with no batteries in, just connected with a USB cable to a 5V wall wart.
Old 04-04-2014, 11:53 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Smile Re: 436HP clock problems

Quote:
2) Leave the scanner turned on w/power for a long time to charge the internal battery (they clock does not run off of the AA's).
Thanks UPMan. I will try that. "Serial port" was the only choice left to try but I was hesitant,
with a radio of this quality, to do that on my own without "approval."

The owner's manual, which is otherwise excellent, needs more detail and explanation
on the 436HP menus and options. Basic things like you told us above should certainly
be included.

The clock battery in a pc can last for years. How much battery life can we expect from
the clock battery in the 436HP and the 536HP?
Old 04-04-2014, 11:59 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

There appears to be a lot of people who fear that putting the radio in Serial mode will do something weird.

The only time I have encountered any odd behavior when using serial mode for powering the radio is when I hooked the radio up to the USB ports in my Ford vehicle. The nav system tried to communicate with the radio and completely freaked out, cutting out the audio of the AM/FM/Sirius radio, and it took a hard reset to make the radio "work" again.

If you are connecting your radio to something that won't communicate with it, like a USB hub that doesn't have a computer (only power) hooked up to it - or even a USB hub connected to a computer, or even the computer itself, which won't try to communicate - or, just a regular old USB AC or DC adapter, you have nothing to worry about. Just hit '.' and continue on your merry way.
Old 04-04-2014, 8:58 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I have the 536 so I don't have the clock problem. I'm not sure this makes a difference but the USB hubs in the device manager with Windows 7 have a power management tab with a check box for "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power". Could the computer be turning off the hub power and thus not keeping the clock CMOS charged? Not sure how the clock power setup works on the 436 so this may not be a factor. I'm obviously NOT an IT guy.
Even minor problems can get very annoying after a while. I'm waiting for Uniden to come out with a 536 for right-handed people. The knob on the left is a PITA but I'm not ditching what I consider a terrific scanner because of that problem. Maybe a firmware update will move the knob.
Old 04-04-2014, 9:04 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay911 View Post
The only time I have encountered any odd behavior when using serial mode for powering the radio is when I hooked the radio up to the USB ports in my Ford vehicle. The nav system tried to communicate with the radio and completely freaked out, cutting out the audio of the AM/FM/Sirius radio, and it took a hard reset to make the radio "work" again.
Something occurred to me on the drive home with regards to this. It is possible to buy USB cables that only have the power connections, not the data lines. So you could have a cable that only connects to +5V and doesn't pass the data at all.
Sponsored links
Old 04-05-2014, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Is this the procedure for both the 536 and 436?

I read that "When you first get your scanner, leave the 536 plugged in and on for a while and leave the USB connected to power on the 436".
BCDx36HP Losing the Clock Setting

This suggests that only the 536 needs to be turned on. For the 436 you only need to have it plugged in and charging.

Please clarify.

Thanks...
Old 04-05-2014, 11:00 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Is 436 Clock updated when connected to PC?

I don't have any problems with the clock in my 436, but I have an observation about its accuracy.

I can only remember setting the clock once or twice when I first got the scanner several weeks ago. It appears that it has stayed pretty close to accurate the entire time. It makes me wonder if the 436 Clock is updated/synced when it is connected to the PC? Have not seen this discussed anywhere. Can anyone shed any light?

If it is not updated, I'm pretty impressed with its long term accuracy. (Note: the internal clock in my PSR-800 drifts significantly over a short period.)
Old 04-10-2014, 7:09 PM

Default The cause

The RTC in the x36HP scanners appears to be maintained by the main processor chip and a SMD style supercap when the power is switched off.

Supercaps cannot be fast charged, hence the requirement to leave scanner on for 2 days to fully charge.

The x36HP's RX63N/RX631,100Mhz RISC processor RTC, requires a relatively high 0.6 - 1mA to maintain the clock function, so it's not surprising that only 5-7 days of backup are available.

If Uniden had incorporated a dedicated, ultra low power consumption RTC chip like the NXP PCF2123 (about 50 cents each), the RTC could have operated for months from a small Supercap without needing to be recharged!

In fact, if the 436HP had the above RTC, the power consumption would be so low, that the clock could be powered directly from the AA batteries (via a small cap to power the unit while AA batteries are replaced) and maintain it's back-up for six months or more and still leave adequate battery capacity for a few hours of listening pleasure - one one charge!

In most cases, the self discharge rate of the AA batteries would be a lot higher than the power draw from the above RTC.

Sometimes, I've just got to scratch my head and wonder - WHY?

FuncubeDonglePro+ / DSDPlus - IC-R7100 - BCD996XT(x2) - BCD396XT - TM9155 - IC-208H, amongst others :-)
Old 04-10-2014, 8:12 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I have had the same clock issue with my 436, but sounds like we have a solution. Will give it a shot, thanks!
Old 04-11-2014, 2:23 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Post Uniden and Clocks

I have had many UNIDEN and even Bearcat before Uniden bought the brand and every time they try to put a clock on or in one it never works correctly. I had one scanner they put out don't recall the number but it was the 1st one that didn't have a 9 volt battery in the back. That scanner wouldn't keep it programing even after UNIDEN "repaired" it. I think I scrapped it or threw it away, cost like $300 or so at the time.
Ham Gear: Icom 7000, U82, V82, V8