996XT Contrast (early version vs old version)

Status
Not open for further replies.

wise871

Database Admin
I searched the forums but did not find and topic covering contrast. Within the last year I picked up another 996XT and a 996P2. I also have 2 early model 996xt in my collection. I uploaded my newest xt/p2 scanners and I noticed I could barley see the fonts. I checked the contrast settings and it was set to level 4 like my earlier version. With the 996XT/996p2 I have to adjust the contrast all the way to level 10 just to get it close and even then it is not as crisp and clear as the earlier XT models. With power off, the LCD look slightly different.

So did something change with the display over the years? Can anyone with a early and late model verify what I am seeing. See if contrast 4 is like my photos. This is not good. :( I would sure hate to send in new scanners for this problem.

Note: The second picture is of the 996p2. It has the same result as my most recent 996XT.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 267
  • FullSizeRender-1.jpg
    FullSizeRender-1.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 263

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
My 996XT on 4 looks like the 2nd picture, contrast of 8 looks like your 1st picture.
I have the Dimmer set to high and adjusted that from low to high, didn't change my findings that compare to yours.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
My 996XT has no real difference from 8 to 4 while the 996p2 becomes washed out like your second photo on 4. Both were set at 8 when I checked them.

signal500

K4DPS
Premium Subscriber
I searched the forums but did not find and topic covering contrast. Within the last year I picked up another 996XT and a 996P2. I also have 2 early model 996xt in my collection. I uploaded my newest xt/p2 scanners and I noticed I could barley see the fonts. I checked the contrast settings and it was set to level 4 like my earlier version. With the 996XT/996p2 I have to adjust the contrast all the way to level 10 just to get it close and even then it is not as crisp and clear as the earlier XT models. With power off, the LCD look slightly different.

So did something change with the display over the years? Can anyone with a early and late model verify what I am seeing. See if contrast 4 is like my photos. This is not good. :( I would sure hate to send in new scanners for this problem.

Note: The second picture is of the 996p2. It has the same result as my most recent 996XT.
Dan, all five of my 996XT's look the best on a contrast setting of 10 and washed out like your 2nd picture on the setting of 4. As you know I have two 996XTs from when they first were released (old version) and three from the past year (new version).

Last edited:

wise871

Database Admin
Thanks for the replies. Seems like my earlier two XT's are the oddities for have such a clear font at setting level 4. Strange :confused:

Voyager

Mine likewise look like pic 2 on 4. I wonder if it has to do with the voltage you have feeding them.

Voyager

Maybe the voltage regulator is off (or has gone off, that is to say)

wise871

Database Admin
Maybe the voltage regulator is off (or has gone off, that is to say)

Strange, I have 2 that are crisp at setting 4 and there almost 2 years apart during the original XT release. Then I have the latest 996XT that is a few months old and the 996p2 that are the same. Either way I was just courieous.

mciupa

Database Admin
I only have a BCD996P2, but I find I like it at 7. I set it the day I got it and forgot about it until you brought up this issue.

One thing I did notice is that when you view the display "dead-on" at eye level, it seems darker.

If you view the display on a downward angle from above, it "seems" a touch lighter.

Contrast 1 to 6 are useless in my opinion. 7 or better for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.