RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners and Receivers Forums > Uniden Forums

Uniden Forums Forums for the discussion of all Uniden scanning radios and receivers.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-20-2013, 5:34 PM

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9360; en) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.391 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaScan
I started to get the update. Now I'm not sure I need to after reading the post.
I concur: I did the update and took the HP1 on a drive.

Had to blast the audio just to barely hear it.

This isn't a slam at UPman, I think most of us are thrilled at the hands on service he and his team provide.

But I wonder, did the techs notice the dropoff on P25 audio here?
Sponsored links

Old 01-20-2013, 7:35 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJB View Post
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9360; en) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.391 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

I concur: I did the update and took the HP1 on a drive.

Had to blast the audio just to barely hear it.

This isn't a slam at UPman, I think most of us are thrilled at the hands on service he and his team provide.

But I wonder, did the techs notice the dropoff on P25 audio here?
Given the mixed results reported (some say the update fixed the P25 garbled audio, others say it made it much worse) and since there's apparently no way to REMOVE an update from the HP, I'm not taking a chance with the update. Better to hear occasional garble than nothing at all! I bet firmware updates can only go so far, and to really correct P25 garbled audio would require more processing power (hardware) than the HP has. But that's only a guess.

UPMAN, what say you?
Old 01-21-2013, 8:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LZ56 View Post
Given the mixed results reported (some say the update fixed the P25 garbled audio, others say it made it much worse) and since there's apparently no way to REMOVE an update from the HP, I'm not taking a chance with the update. Better to hear occasional garble than nothing at all! I bet firmware updates can only go so far, and to really correct P25 garbled audio would require more processing power (hardware) than the HP has. But that's only a guess.

UPMAN, what say you?
Yes you can "roll back" to an earlier firmware version in this case--- see the third message down from the top at this thread on the Uniden HP Home Patrol forums:

Firmware 2.04.01 Released to Improve Digital

I did it successfully a couple of times to compare the audio qualities of both firmware editions, although the "jury is still out" --- might be more of a subjective issue.
Old 01-21-2013, 6:55 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by MStep View Post
Yes you can "roll back" to an earlier firmware version in this case--- see the third message down from the top at this thread on the Uniden HP Home Patrol forums:

Firmware 2.04.01 Released to Improve Digital

I did it successfully a couple of times to compare the audio qualities of both firmware editions, although the "jury is still out" --- might be more of a subjective issue.
OK thanks. I might try that.
Old 01-22-2013, 7:28 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Source for earlier firmware file?
Sponsored links

Old 01-23-2013, 2:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KD8HE View Post
Source for earlier firmware file?
As per the link I mentioned earlier, I was instructed to save the old firmware file from my HP-1 card onto my hard drive before doing the update, in the event i wanted to roll back, which I did several times to try to gauge the results. My understanding is that there are several firmware files available online for various Uniden scanners, although I was told that the HP-1 firmware files were not available online at this time. Thus the instruction to save the file before updating. I'm not sure if Uniden will post the previous HP-1 firmware files online, so I would suggest that you save yours as well in case you want to roll back. One other factor that might require consideration is that while I was successfully able to roll back to the earlier firmware, I did that before I upgraded to the Extreme edition. I'm not sure how far you can "roll back" without affecting the operation of the HP-1 with either the Extreme edition or the Sentinel software program, but since both were available before the current firmware upgrade, I don't think it presents a problem.
Old 01-23-2013, 7:27 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I have an HP1 that has not been updated to 2.04...there is no .scn file in the homepatrol/firmware folder in this unit. Once the firmware updates in the unit does the HP delete the downloaded firmware file from the sd card?
Old 01-23-2013, 5:52 PM

Quote:
I have an HP1 that has not been updated to 2.04...there is no .scn file in the homepatrol/firmware folder in this unit. Once the firmware updates in the unit does the HP delete the downloaded firmware file from the sd card?
Ah so... yes, that is correct. I had the .scn file on my card in the unit as that is the way it arrived several months ago when I bought it new. Having never done an upgrade, the file was still on the card. But yes, once you do a successful update, the .scn folder and files are apparently deleted. Since it is my understanding that Uniden makes other firmware files available online, perhaps that will do the same for the HP-1.
Old 01-23-2013, 6:19 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I have 2 units, one 2.03, one with 2.04 neither has .scn file...Oh well 2.04 has degraded my P25 overall and have lost some audio volume to boot BUT subsequent firmware upgrades (with desirable features)will have this mod so for the longer term there is really of no use to roll back. Grin and bear it.
Sponsored links
Old 01-23-2013, 6:50 PM

Quote:
Yes, unfortunately (as I stated on the Uniden site), once the firmware update is successful, the .scn file is deleted from the SD card. You've got to grab it right after downloading it through Sentinel, and before unplugging the USB cable to start the upgrade process. I know it's a bit late now, but for future reference you can do that to "backup" firmware versions.
Old 01-23-2013, 7:08 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Default HomePatrol-1 v2.04.01 Released

Where can I get the 2.03 firmware? 2.04 has hosed up trying to listen to the Sacramento County trunked system. It just clips in and out and is unusable.

Justin
Old 01-24-2013, 6:13 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmlovell View Post
Is there a way to get the previous version back?

I see that many of you are experiencing some improvement, but for me, I am no longer able to receive these P25 simulcast systems anything like I did before the update. ...just garble at the best.
My Hp-1 is doing i guess ok with the system i'm scanning which is the KSIC'S system i do notice the noise that one's say that occiates with P25's which can be a little annoying but with Hp-1 you don't here that nasty Digital sound that some scanners don't cut out maybe that's were the popping sound i here from time to time is cutting out.. This morning i was a little ticked off with the radio but in re-turn i think what the case was the system was down or having fits) I heard one of the maintenance guys So hopefully it got straitened out..

A question i have is on these FirmWear Version updates Do they come often or just hit every once in a while) i know updates come every week for the Data Base as i have got all of them...

Posted Via Wii U Game Pad.. b780
Old 02-03-2013, 6:50 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Upman can you or somone on the forums post or send me the last firmware version prior to the new update for the HP-1. The new version is not working for me on the Genesee Simulcast system in Flint Michigan. The HP-1 stops on an active TG but no audio and the volume is all the way up. I have my updated BCD-396XT sitting right next to the HP-1 and it works great but the HP-1 just sits there.I get a little audio every once in a while. Maybe if the HP-1 had a hidden munu I could do some adjusting but right now the only thing I can do is roll back but I don't have a backup of the old Firmware so for now my HP-1 sets quiet. Can anyone post it maybe on the yahoo groups maybe? I stopped by Radio Shack and connected my laptop to the Demo HP-1 they had but it didn't have the firmware files either.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 02-03-2013, 8:30 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

To you guys with 2.04.01 problems, I wonder if changing the AUDIO AGC setting will help. Yeah, I know, it's probably a dumb idea but hey, ya never know. I'd try it myself but I didn't install 2.04.01.
Old 02-04-2013, 8:57 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb8rvp View Post
Upman can you or somone on the forums post or send me the last firmware version prior to the new update for the HP-1. The new version is not working for me on the Genesee Simulcast system in Flint Michigan. The HP-1 stops on an active TG but no audio and the volume is all the way up. I have my updated BCD-396XT sitting right next to the HP-1 and it works great but the HP-1 just sits there.I get a little audio every once in a while. Maybe if the HP-1 had a hidden munu I could do some adjusting but right now the only thing I can do is roll back but I don't have a backup of the old Firmware so for now my HP-1 sets quiet. Can anyone post it maybe on the yahoo groups maybe? I stopped by Radio Shack and connected my laptop to the Demo HP-1 they had but it didn't have the firmware files either.

Thanks,
Mike
Let me know if you have any luck. This last update may help on a duck but on a directional antenna, at least in my case, it's worse. I put a lot of effort into getting the right antenna in the right location with the right coax, and it was working perfectly before the update. If it's not going to be a switchable option then I want to go back to the previous firmware.
Old 02-05-2013, 5:58 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Home Patrol Firmware Issue

Upman can you or somone on the forums post or send me the last firmware version 2.03.01 files so I can revert back? The new update for the HP-1 2.04.01 is not working for me on the Genesee County Simulcast system in Flint Michigan. The HP-1 stops on an active TG but no audio and the volume is all the way up. I have my updated BCD396XT to 1.11.01 and it's sitting right next to the HP-1 and it works great but the HP-1 just sits there. I get a little audio every once in a while. Maybe if the HP-1 had a hidden menu I could do some adjusting but right now the only thing I can do is roll back but I don't have a backup of the old Firmware files so for now my HP-1 sets quiet. Can anyone post it maybe on the yahoo groups or something? I stopped by Radio Shack and connected my laptop to the Demo HP-1 they had on display but it didn't have the firmware files. It sounds like I need the firmware folder from an HP-1 that still has the firmware.scr files so I can copy it to my HP-1. Any help would be great

Thanks,
Mike
Old 02-05-2013, 7:53 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb8rvp View Post
Upman can you or somone on the forums post or send me the last firmware version 2.03.01 files so I can revert back? The new update for the HP-1 2.04.01 is not working for me on the Genesee County Simulcast system in Flint Michigan. The HP-1 stops on an active TG but no audio and the volume is all the way up. I have my updated BCD396XT to 1.11.01 and it's sitting right next to the HP-1 and it works great but the HP-1 just sits there. I get a little audio every once in a while. Maybe if the HP-1 had a hidden menu I could do some adjusting but right now the only thing I can do is roll back but I don't have a backup of the old Firmware files so for now my HP-1 sets quiet. Can anyone post it maybe on the yahoo groups or something? I stopped by Radio Shack and connected my laptop to the Demo HP-1 they had on display but it didn't have the firmware files. It sounds like I need the firmware folder from an HP-1 that still has the firmware.scr files so I can copy it to my HP-1. Any help would be great

Thanks,
Mike
Upman has been strangely silent about 2.04.01 problems both here and in the HomePatrol website forums. Methinks that doesn't bode well for fixing the HP-1's LSM distortion problem.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:04 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by LZ56 View Post
Upman has been strangely silent about 2.04.01 problems both here and in the HomePatrol website forums. Methinks that doesn't bode well for fixing the HP-1's LSM distortion problem.
It is my hope that he is coming up with a way to downgrade using the firmware update from within the software instead of having us try to do a copy and past of files within windows explorer or maybe a fix or menu option change for ease of use for all.

Mike
Old 02-06-2013, 2:23 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

All this updating stuff and issues with the software is like what sometimes happens with the Cellphones on the Verizon forums) We want the updated software because we hope it's going to fix the Void's in our radios and when it comes right down to it, It's not as good as we hoped maybe for some.

This happened with Jelly Bean when it was released on Christmas Eve to some Razr / Razr Maxx owners) In few short hours it was pulled and some that got the update are doing ok with it while others there phone are basically paper weight's.. and that my friends once it's updated it can't be rolled back and the wild an slightly funny thing is since that day there has not been much said when there going to re release again.!

But what i'd like to see Uniden do when they get ready to roll out an update. Why not send it out to a select few Units to test the update to see if it's going to work or need to be retooled) There got to ways i'm sure that they could set it Up to do that..

So that only a few select units are affected and not thousands of them that i would think would make us all feel allot better..

Last edited by bear780ks; 02-06-2013 at 2:46 PM..
Old 02-07-2013, 10:07 PM

If anyone can send me the 2.03 firmware? My HP-1 was working perfect prior to the update. Now I have virtually no good reception of P25 systems. Even the one in my hometown. My very expensive scaner is pretty unless now. Please help. You can email me at n3fhw@arrl.net

thanks
Joe
Closed Thread

Tags