RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners and Receivers Forums > Uniden Forums

Uniden Forums Forums for the discussion of all Uniden scanning radios and receivers.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-30-2013, 5:47 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Both of my HP-1s suffer from occasional P25 Phase II choppy audio due to LSM distortion. Changing antennas and location doesn't help. I did NOT install V2.04.01 because too many people said it actually made the audio WORSE. The fact that Uniden never had a proper firmware fix suggests that the HP-1 doesn't have sufficient hardware (CPU) to handle LSM distortion. Fortunately, the choppy audio is a minor annoyance since most comms are received OK. There may be a BCD536HP in my future IF other users report that they decode P25 Phase II with absolutely no choppy audio. Otherwise, I will not plunk down big bucks for the new model if Uniden has not slayed the P25 LSM dragon.
Sponsored links
Old 11-30-2013, 7:28 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by LZ56 View Post
Both of my HP-1s suffer from occasional P25 Phase II choppy audio due to LSM distortion. Changing antennas and location doesn't help. I did NOT install V2.04.01 because too many people said it actually made the audio WORSE. The fact that Uniden never had a proper firmware fix suggests that the HP-1 doesn't have sufficient hardware (CPU) to handle LSM distortion. Fortunately, the choppy audio is a minor annoyance since most comms are received OK. There may be a BCD536HP in my future IF other users report that they decode P25 Phase II with absolutely no choppy audio. Otherwise, I will not plunk down big bucks for the new model if Uniden has not slayed the P25 LSM dragon.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the HP-1 does not receive Phase II.
To get back on topic. Tested my HP on a system in my area that gives me fits on my 396, and the HP kicked its butt. I do have the firmware upgrade.
Larry
Old 11-30-2013, 8:03 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

APCO P-25 phase 2 and LSM distortion are two different things. The upgrade to the HP-1 firmware was supposed to help with LSM distortion. In my specific areas I have neither LSM nor Phase 2. And yes,
the HP-1 does not receive phase 2 as both users and UPMAN have verified. The two new Uniden scanners just announced are the first ones they have released that are designed to receive Phase 2.
Old 12-01-2013, 5:55 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8IAA View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the HP-1 does not receive Phase II.
To get back on topic. Tested my HP on a system in my area that gives me fits on my 396, and the HP kicked its butt. I do have the firmware upgrade.
Larry
DUH!!! Dunno why I said phase II when I typed my comments. But my point is that I'm not taking the bait on the BCD536HP until users verify that it has NO choppy audio on P25 LSM systems.
Old 12-12-2013, 8:50 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by beischel View Post
Well at least I can look forward to the Whistler scanners. This is the second Uniden that cannot receive the Cincinnati/Hamilton County P25 system properly so I won't be making a 3rd mistake on Uniden unless they can fix what they already have out there.
I too am holding out on my new scanner this year till whistler shows what they have...HP1 extreme with 2.03.01 and 2.04.01 both do crappy at receiving in my area on conventional analog.... my 197 and 106 crystal clear.... altho I admit I did have to realign the 197 to get it on frequency but everywhere I go the hp1e wont receive VHF and is week on 800.... but uhf works great..... so already told the the wife NOMORE uniden for my birthday which comes in march....sorry UPMAn but your lack of acknowledgement of a firmware issue that's been reported here in many forums and on yahoo and twitter I REFUSE UNIDEN PRODUCTS unless several people come on these forums admitting how wonderfull they are.....
even my 396xt has reception issues.....
Sponsored links
Old 12-17-2013, 11:30 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydro12943 View Post
I too am holding out on my new scanner this year till whistler shows what they have...HP1 extreme with 2.03.01 and 2.04.01 both do crappy at receiving in my area on conventional analog.... my 197 and 106 crystal clear.... altho I admit I did have to realign the 197 to get it on frequency but everywhere I go the hp1e wont receive VHF and is week on 800.... but uhf works great..... so already told the the wife NOMORE uniden for my birthday which comes in march....sorry UPMAn but your lack of acknowledgement of a firmware issue that's been reported here in many forums and on yahoo and twitter I REFUSE UNIDEN PRODUCTS unless several people come on these forums admitting how wonderfull they are.....
even my 396xt has reception issues.....
Agreed!!! My HP1 picked up almost nothing on P25 with latest firmware. I rolled it back to previous version where it least it receives something some of the time, but this is my second Uniden (previous 996) and nothing but firmware issues and P25 decode problems. Uniden just does not respond to the complaints. $500+ paperweight.
Old 12-17-2013, 6:01 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

My area must have the best luck with homepatrols. I bought an HP1 two years ago and have been running it in the car connected to a Larsen tri-band antenna and GPS non stop since it was installed. It does have the extreme update. It kicks the pants off the 996XT installed right below it. My scanning includes every manner of system type the radio is capable of- from lowband VHF to 800MHz P25 and many of my cohorts get the same results with their HP1s.
Old 12-17-2013, 6:12 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I love the UI and features of my HomePatrol, but the radio performance really isn't as good as my GRE PSR800. Running them side by side in my truck with factory antennae and it becomes obvious how much faster the GRE is to open on a signal in analog even. Even if the scanners are paused on a channel, I always hear audio first on the GRE.

I assume the PL/DPL decoder is faster. I didn't really notice until I ran them together, Now I am annoyed by how much gets chopped off by the HP1. I am very interested in the new scanners, but I won't buy one unless I hear that they are faster at decoding.
Old 01-03-2014, 3:59 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default Another paid extreme upgrade and update?

Hello UPMan.

Is Uniden planning on releasing a second paid Extreme Upgrade and Update for the HP-1 sometime in 2014?

Thanks Sheldon.
Sponsored links
Old 01-03-2014, 5:04 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Boy! I sure am getting nervous about setting the HP up.

I haven't really needed it yet but I'm beginning to wonder if I should bother with it after all the issues people seem to be having.

I sure hope it wasn't a waste...
Old 01-04-2014, 5:37 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuntEnvy View Post
Boy! I sure am getting nervous about setting the HP up.

I haven't really needed it yet but I'm beginning to wonder if I should bother with it after all the issues people seem to be having.

I sure hope it wasn't a waste...

Its not, I am listening to mine right now and it sounds great especially when hooked up to a radio shack amplified speaker. If you are having issue with simulcast or multi-path distortion I suggest looking into a GOOD Yagi. I have one n my attic pointed at my local site and everything comes in crystal clear.

Enjoy your HP....

Stop streaming public safety comms before they can stop our hobby!
Old 01-05-2014, 1:44 PM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribby2001 View Post
Does HomePatrol's Sentinal run on Windows 8/8.1 (64bit)?

Or more clearly, on what versions of Microsoft Windows (...7,8,8.1 [32/64bit]) does HomePatrol Sentinal software run?
Downloaded HomePatrol Sentinal on a new PC running Windows 8.1 (64-bit).
After downloading, extracting and executing "setup" (as administrator), HomePatrol Sentinal setup pops up with this:

"This setup requires the .NET Framework version 2.0. Please install the NET Framework and run the setup again..."

Say what? Now what?

Last edited by MikeOxlong; 01-05-2014 at 8:30 PM..
Old 01-05-2014, 3:09 PM

Is there a new Firmsoftware
for the home patrol
Old 01-05-2014, 5:06 PM

I'll check with my friend tomorrow he sells home Patrol Here in Connecticut I will try to get that answer soon as possible
Old 01-07-2014, 2:34 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

If you have Home Patrol Sentinel, you can check for new firmware at any time.
Old 01-07-2014, 2:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55engine View Post
Is there a new Firmsoftware
for the home patrol
There's been no update in over a year now. It's probably safe to say 2.04.01 is the last update there will be.
Old 01-07-2014, 5:58 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Downloaded HomePatrol Sentinal on a new PC running Windows 8.1 (64-bit).
After downloading, extracting and executing "setup" (as administrator), HomePatrol Sentinal setup pops up with this:

"This setup requires the .NET Framework version 2.0. Please install the NET Framework and run the setup again..."

Say what? Now what?
UUHH go here ??? Download Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2 from Official Microsoft Download Center
Old 01-08-2014, 7:33 AM

Thumbs down

Uhmm, are you saying this is the Win8.1 64bit solution that worked for you or is this just your guess?

Quote: "Supported Operating System Windows Server 2003, Windows XP "

It is my limited understanding that .NET Framework is cumulative in that the latest version (Win8.1) incorporates all previous versions.

I am expecting Uniden to support a product I spent $600 for the Extreme version.
Now it is a paperweight. Unless Uniden comes up with a solution this is going up for sale soon and GRE will have my hard earned cash.

The clock is ticking Uniden...
Old 01-08-2014, 8:26 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Uhmm, are you saying this is the Win8.1 64bit solution that worked for you or is this just your guess?

Quote: "Supported Operating System Windows Server 2003, Windows XP "

It is my limited understanding that .NET Framework is cumulative in that the latest version (Win8.1) incorporates all previous versions.

I am expecting Uniden to support a product I spent $600 for the Extreme version.
Now it is a paperweight. Unless Uniden comes up with a solution this is going up for sale soon and GRE will have my hard earned cash.

The clock is ticking Uniden...
my limited understanding that .NET Framework is cumulative You are wrong.

4 Ways to Check What Version of Microsoft .NET Framework is Installed on your Computer

Install it and see. You will still need to install serial drivers if you use extended and the serial output. That is another issue completely.

I installed both Sentinel - HP-1 and the new one on a new 8,1 machine with no issues. No idea what versions of Net Framework I have installed, and I really do not care. I had to install at least a couple versions as I was installing other software.
Old 01-08-2014, 6:15 PM

Thank you Phask! I will try this and will post here with the results.
Closed Thread

Tags