HomePatrol-1 v2.04.01 Released

Status
Not open for further replies.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
I've just posted the latest update for the HomePatrol-1. This update does one thing:
Improves audio when receiving digital transmissions on Simulcast (also called Linear Simulcast Mode, or LSM) Repeaters.

Had hoped to release for the BCD396XT today, also, but running into a glitch with the new firmware updater.

To apply the update, simply launch Sentinel and tell it to "Update --> Update Firmware..."

kg4pbd

First impression on the Charlotte Mecklenburg P25 simulcast system, performance using an R/S 800mhz duck is much improved. Prior to this update the R/S duck made things worse as it seemed to pull in too much from multiple sites. Now the stronger signal strength with this antenna actually works to a benefit.

It's not as good as when it's hooked up to the directional antenna, but it's a big improvement over what it was before. Thanks UPMan!

rbrtklamp2

Premium Subscriber
UPMan,

Will there be a release for the 996Xt as well I run a ton of them and they have the same issues as the 396XT on LSM sites?

Thanks,
Bob

rbrtklamp2

Premium Subscriber
Keep in mind I have only installed the update about a hour ago and have only been listening for about 15 minutes but I do notice a improvement on my local starcom site 101 in Northern IL. Only time will tell but I think this update will allow to hear probably 95% or so of the traffic I was missing due to LSM distortion before. I will post another update when I get more time to use it. I will add though that this kind of update would be very much welcomed to the 996XT scanner.

Bob

kg4pbd

While there is a noticeable improvement using a duck, it seems as though there may be more distortion when using a directional antenna, almost like it's clipping.

Anyone else notice this? Also, can UPMan give us an idea just what this firmware update does to improve simulcast distortion?

Attenuation helps. Am I correct in that I can select attenuation on an individual site via Sentinel? Selecting attenuation on the panel affects all systems that are running, which I don't want.

MStep

While there is a noticeable improvement using a duck, it seems as though there may be more distortion when using a directional antenna, almost like it's clipping.

Anyone else notice this? Also, can UPMan give us an idea just what this firmware update does to improve simulcast distortion?

Attenuation helps. Am I correct in that I can select attenuation on an individual site via Sentinel? Selecting attenuation on the panel affects all systems that are running, which I don't want.

Yes, I also noticed what I thought sounded like a slight difference in the audio quality, although I can't say whether it sounded better or worse, just different, at least to my untrained ear.

I was a little disappointed that the only information given about the update was:
"Improves audio when receiving digital transmissions on Simulcast (also called Linear Simulcast Mode, or LSM) Repeaters."

I would have liked a little more information on how the update achieves that result and about any possible "side-effects", HOWEVER, I also realize that this information may be considered "proprietary" and not meant for general distribution.

Highpockets

Something UpMan may have to offer advice on.

After reading a few of the posts, if there are slight problems after the 396XT upgrade in receiving these systems, I wonder if you may have to adjust these levels again, or this upgrade has no effect on these settings:

P25 Adjust Mode
P25 Adjust Level

This was just a thought that come to mind.

KD8HE

Premium Subscriber
Firmware updated..Seems to have negatively affected my reception of P25 WVSIRN.
Lots of no audio, incomplete or severely garbled transmissions on previously clear talk groups.
Harry

mancow

Database Admin
The Kansas system seems ok so far but I've had no improvement with a fringe area of a large simulcast system.

Last edited:

kg4pbd

After a couple of days with this update my initial impression is about the same. I can actually listen to our simulcast system using a 2.5db gain 800 mhz duck, in the basement. Previously I would have gotten clear reception <50% of the time. Now it's closer to 90%. So that is an improvement. One thing I'm noticing is I'll get distortion on the first 1-2 seconds of a transmission, and then it cleans itself up. I also don't notice the scanner stopping on a talkgroup for a second or two with no audio before moving on.

Upstairs on a directional antenna my results aren't as good. I'm getting occasional distortion with the update. Again it's only the first 1-2 seconds of a transmission but before the update I had no distortion.

Last edited:

MAguln8839

Volume reduction

Has anyone else noted an overall volume reduction with this upgrade? Especially while using headphones.

mancow

Database Admin
I have noticed a marked reduction in P25 trunking volume as well. I haven't yet compared it to conventional digital.

rbrtklamp2

Premium Subscriber
I have had some luck with this Update. I can now copy about 90-95% of the traffic I was missing before with my roof top discone at about 40 ft. But almost no improvement with the stock antenna. Its almost like it is slightly attenuating the signals after the update. Just my experience using it for a day or so.

Bob

wmlovell

Premium Subscriber
Firmware updated..Seems to have negatively affected my reception of P25 WVSIRN.
Lots of no audio, incomplete or severely garbled transmissions on previously clear talk groups.
Harry

I am experiencing the same results. I experimented with Attenuate and the various different antennas I have and can no longer receive systems I could clearly before. Previously garbled/choppy systems now appear to stop the scan for several seconds but without audio. The one system I can receive seems to be missing parts of the conversation, replies, etc. ...and the audio volume is significantly less.

I was excited reading all the positive posts. Unfortunately, this update seems to have made my P25 reception issues even more worse then before. Bummer!

Is there something perhaps in the settings that I can do different? ...or can I somehow get the previous version back into my HomePatrol?

bear780ks

My Home Patrol seam's to work Ok -- at times! but the Audio to me jumps some times on Digital every since i Got it is this Normal) it has the Latest Firm Wear 2.04 and Latest Data Base Version 01/06/13 i got HP For Xmas..

wmlovell

Premium Subscriber
Is there a way to get the previous version back?

I see that many of you are experiencing some improvement, but for me, I am no longer able to receive these P25 simulcast systems anything like I did before the update. ...just garble at the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.