RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog
 

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners and Receivers Forums > Uniden Forums

Uniden Forums Forums for the discussion of all Uniden scanning radios and receivers.

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #41 (permalink)  
Old 01-29-2013, 10:29 AM
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 30
Default

Funny...when I did ver 6 upgrade when Philly switched to simulcast P25 last week....I had to tweak the P25 adjust mode and level and found 8-100 worked best...reception was mod to poor (before the switch to P25 the digital systemit was fine..I'm on a fringe area)

Verison 7 and I don't get any reception at all....no matter what levels and mode. It also seems like an adjascent county's digital system was weaker (before anyone asks- yes my external antenna is still up and good)..it's almost like there is some built in attenuation

I guess I have an evening of playing - downgrading then upgrading again
Sponsored links
  #42 (permalink)  
Old 01-29-2013, 10:42 AM
Member
   
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 5,231
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw911 View Post
Funny...when I did ver 6 upgrade when Philly switched to simulcast P25 last week....I had to tweak the P25 adjust mode and level and found 8-100 worked best...reception was mod to poor (before the switch to P25 the digital systemit was fine..I'm on a fringe area)

Verison 7 and I don't get any reception at all....no matter what levels and mode. It also seems like an adjascent county's digital system was weaker (before anyone asks- yes my external antenna is still up and good)..it's almost like there is some built in attenuation

I guess I have an evening of playing - downgrading then upgrading again
If you're in a fringe area, no firmware is going to be able to work magic and overcome a weak signal. As far as why Philly's P25 signal seems weaker to you than their Motorola signal, that's because these newer systems are designed with antennas that focus on the intended coverage area. They are usually directional or semi-directional antennas, as opposed to omnidirectional antennas that many older systems used. The result is improved coverage for the intended users and area the system was designed for, while those on the outside looking in will usually wind up with a weaker signal.
  #43 (permalink)  
Old 01-29-2013, 11:03 AM
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 30
Default

yep-suspected as much

doesn't answer why version 7 no reception...version 6 had reception

I am outside the 12 mile ring that the system lists as covering.but not much more than a couple of miles
  #44 (permalink)  
Old 01-29-2013, 11:18 AM
Member
   
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 5,231
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw911 View Post
I am outside the 12 mile ring that the system lists as covering.but not much more than a couple of miles
The "coverage radius" listed in the database is just a best guesstimate as to what range the system most likely covers. It is by no means an official prediction of the intended coverage area, and in some cases can be somewhat misleading given the fact that it's simply a circle drawn out from the centerpoint of a city or county.

You may want to look into an 800 MHz Yagi if receiving this system is a top priority for you.

Anyway, back on topic. Hope you get the issue resolved one way or the other.
  #45 (permalink)  
Old 01-29-2013, 11:33 AM
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 30
Default

Thanks...I considered this... but my discone provides the overall reception I want...if I can get it to receive, albeit sloppy, with ver 6 I'll keep it rollled back..I was getting 2-3 bars on the 996xt with verison 6..barely breaking 1 with version 7...and no capture
Sponsored links
  #46 (permalink)  
Old 01-29-2013, 1:00 PM
KevinC's Avatar
Moderator
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Houston,Texas
Posts: 1,235
Default

Huge improvement for the simulcast sites on the below system...

Texas Wide Area Radio Network (TxWARN) Project 25 Trunking System, Various, Texas - Scanner Frequencies
__________________
BC-210XLT

"Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something."
  #47 (permalink)  
Old 01-29-2013, 6:10 PM
Kingmobileaudio's Avatar
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Lincoln, NE
Posts: 625
Default

for some darn reason my PC can't see my scanner I installed the window 7 drivers from scanner master. and i am on windows 8. I touch i had it working before but ARC can't even see the scanner?
  #48 (permalink)  
Old 01-29-2013, 6:11 PM
UPMan's Avatar
Uniden Representative
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 8,568
Default

Once you solve your driver issue, the update will likely work.
__________________
Uniden Product Ninja
Who is UpMan and why doesn't he answer my email/phone call?
Professional Scanner Developer
  #49 (permalink)  
Old 01-29-2013, 6:21 PM
Kingmobileaudio's Avatar
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Lincoln, NE
Posts: 625
Default

thanks up man, I got this this when i look at the Driver "This device cannot start. (Code 10)"
Sponsored links
  #50 (permalink)  
Old 01-29-2013, 6:22 PM
wise871's Avatar
FL, GA, AL, MS Admin
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: N.W. Florida
Posts: 2,444
Default

I think I'll pass on this update for now. I saw what it did to my 396XT on the Atlanta P25 systems. If someone in the Atlanta area has updated, please let us know how it works out.
__________________
Dan M
BCD436HP /BCD536HP /BCD396XT /BCD996T(XT) /BCT15X /PRO-197 /PRO-106 /PSR-410 /HP-1 /BC898T
  #51 (permalink)  
Old 01-29-2013, 6:41 PM
Kingmobileaudio's Avatar
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Lincoln, NE
Posts: 625
Default

had to hit the update driver via net :/ fix it

scared for a sec!!

Last edited by Kingmobileaudio; 01-29-2013 at 7:01 PM..
  #52 (permalink)  
Old 01-29-2013, 8:05 PM
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 2,345
Default

I'm perplexed. . .

The 396XT firmware update made a significant improvement in receiving our local P25 simulcast system.

After doing the 996XT firmware update, there was NOT the same improvement. In doing a side by side comparison, the 396XT is much better.

I had the 396XT inside a vehicle along with the 996XT (which is mounted to the vehicle with an exterior antenna).

I used the same P25 Adjust Mode and P25 Adjust Levels that I found to tweak the 396XT in the 996XT but that didn't help. These two settings are the same as the 396T and 996T models I have (which are sort of okay to receive with respect to garble/distortion).

Also it seems the 396XT starts receiving the traffic before the 996XT does when they are held on the same talkgroup.

Any thoughts?
  #53 (permalink)  
Old 01-29-2013, 8:17 PM
davidmc36's Avatar
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: South East Ontario
Posts: 1,929
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ofd8001 View Post
I'm perplexed. . .

The 396XT firmware update made a significant improvement in receiving our local P25 simulcast system.

After doing the 996XT firmware update, there was NOT the same improvement. In doing a side by side comparison, the 396XT is much better.

I had the 396XT inside a vehicle along with the 996XT (which is mounted to the vehicle with an exterior antenna).

I used the same P25 Adjust Mode and P25 Adjust Levels that I found to tweak the 396XT in the 996XT but that didn't help. These two settings are the same as the 396T and 996T models I have (which are sort of okay to receive with respect to garble/distortion).

Also it seems the 396XT starts receiving the traffic before the 996XT does when they are held on the same talkgroup.

Any thoughts?
Are you experiencing what some found to be helpful, the 396XT inside the car is actually attenuated a bit and is not getting as much multi-path thereby getting better decode?
__________________
Personal Weather Station No Bounce, No Play.
The one who dies with the most toys wins.
Even though hydrogen is the most abundant element in the universe, stupidity is a close second.
  #54 (permalink)  
Old 01-29-2013, 9:14 PM
scanningisfun's Avatar
Member
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Andover, Kansas
Posts: 634
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kruser View Post
Sorry, no reception of St. Clair county here at all. I can only get one site from Starcom and that is 3-001 out of Madison County.

So far, the new firmware has made Madison county worse, much worse. But in all fairness, I need to wait a day or two. Madison county usually gives me really decent decodes but tonight the humidity is high (89%) and that does affect my reception of that site. Just like rain or snow, high humidty attenuates the signals on the weaker sites when you start talking 700 MHz and up.

Now the City of St. Louis, MO 800 MHz system is working better than ever with the new firmware for me.
It's fine if you aren't able to test it out. I will find out when I'm back in O'Fallon. The other system that I want to test is the Johnson County, KS side of MARRS. Maybe this update (396XT) will make me like simulcast more; only time will tell!

Jacob
  #55 (permalink)  
Old 01-29-2013, 9:43 PM
Member
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 613
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ofd8001 View Post
I'm perplexed. . .

The 396XT firmware update made a significant improvement in receiving our local P25 simulcast system.

After doing the 996XT firmware update, there was NOT the same improvement. In doing a side by side comparison, the 396XT is much better.

I had the 396XT inside a vehicle along with the 996XT (which is mounted to the vehicle with an exterior antenna).

I used the same P25 Adjust Mode and P25 Adjust Levels that I found to tweak the 396XT in the 996XT but that didn't help. These two settings are the same as the 396T and 996T models I have (which are sort of okay to receive with respect to garble/distortion).

Also it seems the 396XT starts receiving the traffic before the 996XT does when they are held on the same talkgroup.

Any thoughts?
External antenna vs. antenna inside the car - too much signal can be bad on simulcast systems. That may be overriding whatever improvement the firmware upgrade gave you.
__________________
Mike
RS PRO-18, RS PRO-197, RS PRO-2052
Fire & EMS feeds: http://www.broadcastify.com/listen/feed/527 & http://www.broadcastify.com/listen/feed/3331
Sponsored links
  #56 (permalink)  
Old 01-29-2013, 9:46 PM
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: St. Louis County, MO
Posts: 1,726
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scanningisfun View Post
It's fine if you aren't able to test it out. I will find out when I'm back in O'Fallon. The other system that I want to test is the Johnson County, KS side of MARRS. Maybe this update (396XT) will make me like simulcast more; only time will tell!

Jacob
Let me know what you find when you are back in the area.
On a good note, I am getting site 3-001 Madison County really well tonight. I was actually surprised with all the storm activity in the area both here and over there. Storms usually wipe out Madison county for me.
I'm so far away that I'm not sure if simulcast is an issue from that site though. I'd bet I'm only getting a signal from one tower as it is so that helps tons.

They changed something in St. Clair county two or three years back as I used to be able to get it. The time period when they shut some of the towers down outside of St. Clair county is when I also lost reception of St. Clair. It was the old 3-005, 023, 025 and 053 sites that they shut down. Some of those were in St. Clair county but I don't recall if they were actually part of the St. Clair simulcast site.

I wish I could get that county as I'm familiar with the county in general. It used to be one of our stomping grounds way back in the day! Back when you could buy beer and wine at only 19 years old. Made a lot of trips across the river back then!
Oh well, Madison County is a pretty active site so I did not lose all of Illinois.

Hmmm, I just tried using my HP1 on Madison County and it is not working nearly as well as the 996XT does.
  #57 (permalink)  
Old 01-29-2013, 9:52 PM
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: St. Louis County, MO
Posts: 1,726
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredva View Post
External antenna vs. antenna inside the car - too much signal can be bad on simulcast systems. That may be overriding whatever improvement the firmware upgrade gave you.
I used to use an 800 MHz solid panel corner reflector for the city of St. Louis system. I could aim it off aim from the stronger of the towers which put the weaker tower off to the side of one of the reflector panels. That lowered the signal level to darn near zero from the weaker tower. It worked wonders really but when winter time came, I also found I then had reflection problems after the leaves fell from the nearby trees. Of course being winter, it was a bear getting on the roof as the access hatch would freeze shut so I'd be out of luck until it warmed up. I finally switched out to a 12 element yagi on a rotor which I can re-aim when needed. It works pretty well also.

So I agree that in this case, the extra shielding from the ops car is helping.
  #58 (permalink)  
Old 01-30-2013, 12:34 AM
Boatanchor's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: A state of flux :-)
Posts: 469
Default

Can someone post a video of a comparison between the old and new firmware receiving LSM?
I don't have any LSM nearby, so I can't do it.

Either way, I probably won't be rushing out to upgrade my 996xt, after the comments about non LSM P25 reception being degraded by the update.
__________________
What can go wrong, will inevitably go wrong!

FuncubeDonglePro+ / DSDPlus - IC-R7100 - BCD996XT(x2) - BCD396XT - TM9155 - IC-208H, amongst others :-)
  #59 (permalink)  
Old 01-30-2013, 7:00 AM
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 2,345
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmc36 View Post
Are you experiencing what some found to be helpful, the 396XT inside the car is actually attenuated a bit and is not getting as much multi-path thereby getting better decode?
Well, just for the heck of it, I connected the 396XT to the antenna that the 996XT was connected to (the exterior vehicle antenna). Then I connected the 996XT to an extra mobile antenna I had, with a magnetic base and stuck it inside the vehicle. The 396XT still sounded much better on the local simulcast system. So I'm doubting this to be an antenna issue.

Still stumped on why the 396XT firmware update sounds better than the 996XT firmware does.
  #60 (permalink)  
Old 01-30-2013, 7:45 AM
nick1427d's Avatar
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 333
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kruser View Post
Let me know what you find when you are back in the area.
On a good note, I am getting site 3-001 Madison County really well tonight. I was actually surprised with all the storm activity in the area both here and over there. Storms usually wipe out Madison county for me.
I'm so far away that I'm not sure if simulcast is an issue from that site though. I'd bet I'm only getting a signal from one tower as it is so that helps tons.

They changed something in St. Clair county two or three years back as I used to be able to get it. The time period when they shut some of the towers down outside of St. Clair county is when I also lost reception of St. Clair. It was the old 3-005, 023, 025 and 053 sites that they shut down. Some of those were in St. Clair county but I don't recall if they were actually part of the St. Clair simulcast site.

I wish I could get that county as I'm familiar with the county in general. It used to be one of our stomping grounds way back in the day! Back when you could buy beer and wine at only 19 years old. Made a lot of trips across the river back then!
Oh well, Madison County is a pretty active site so I did not lose all of Illinois.

Hmmm, I just tried using my HP1 on Madison County and it is not working nearly as well as the 996XT does.
The update changed nothing for me as far as receiving St. Clair county any clearer, not that I had many problems to begin with my distortion can definitely be evident.

STARCOM turned off the tower in East St. Louis but St. Clair counties simulcast system still has a tower online in East St. Louis. Madison's system actually is pretty strong, I can pick it up hear in SW St Clair county fine. And a lot of St. Clair county TGs can be recieved on Madison counties simulcast and vice versa.
__________________
Nick
Closed Thread

Tags
sticky

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 4:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
All information here is Copyright 2012 by RadioReference.com LLC and Lindsay C. Blanton III.Ad Management by RedTyger
Copyright 2011 by RadioReference.com LLC Privacy Policy  |  Terms and Conditions