BCD996XT v1.07.03 Firmware Update Available

Status
Not open for further replies.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Paul, what is the approximate ratio of 396XTs sold vs. 996XTs? I'll understand if this is information that Uniden chooses to not make public.

VE3CRO

Premium Subscriber
Seamless 3 minute installation. Great! No obvious volume change (as noted by some 396 users) with any system so far.

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
Paul, what is the approximate ratio of 396XTs sold vs. 996XTs? I'll understand if this is information that Uniden chooses to not make public.

This is an approximation... I have programmed some 100+ radios over the last few years, I can venture a good guess. Percentage of portables far exceeds desktop, I'd say 90% portable to 10% desktop. Now your mileage may vary!

On topic: Glad to see it available, as I have few others with 996XT's that were waiting for this! woot!

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
The ratio is not that disparate (as many base/mobiles are sold to government agencies vs. more handhelds sold to private/hobbiest).

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
Thats true about what UPMan says of course hehe. Far as the 90% portables, I mainly help hobbyists, although I do support the local news radio AM/FM station that has a 996XT and a couple FPS officers one 996XT, one 396T but Im not sure they use it for official use though.

Last edited:

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Lets please keep this thread on topic about the firmware release.
Thanks! :)
Happy Monitoring
Marshall KE4ZNR

kruser

Premium Subscriber

Stupid ME tried doing the update through the rear port!
I started the updater and selected the port I use for programming and monitoring the scanner which is a rear port connection. The updater started and saw the scanner. The screen turned blue indicating it was in FW update mode. The updater progress bar started moving and bam, the update failed!
Scared the heck outta me until I realized I'd forgot to hookup my front port cable!

All then went well after power cycling the 996XT and setting the correct com port.

My systems are coming in fine so far but little time to test for long.

Paul - I'm glad to see you are making the older FW versions available for use with the new 3.xx firmware updater! I think that was a wise move for those that would like to revert back in case of problems.

Thanks for the 996XT update. I'll report back after I have time to test all my P25 simulcast systems withing range.

scanningisfun

Stupid ME tried doing the update through the rear port!
I started the updater and selected the port I use for programming and monitoring the scanner which is a rear port connection. The updater started and saw the scanner. The screen turned blue indicating it was in FW update mode. The updater progress bar started moving and bam, the update failed!
Scared the heck outta me until I realized I'd forgot to hookup my front port cable!

All then went well after power cycling the 996XT and setting the correct com port.

My systems are coming in fine so far but little time to test for long.

Paul - I'm glad to see you are making the older FW versions available for use with the new 3.xx firmware updater! I think that was a wise move for those that would like to revert back in case of problems.

Thanks for the 996XT update. I'll report back after I have time to test all my P25 simulcast systems withing range.

Try site 3-59 on Starcom 21. I would like to see how the decoding improved as it does indeed use LSM/CQPSK.

Jacob

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Well, here we go!

I removed previous versions of the uploader. Did a restart, then downloaded the latest VUP. I selected the 996XT and the right version. It keeps telling me that it cannot detect the scanner, and that acess to the port is denied. I am using the original serial adapter with a Belkin DB9 to USB adapter on my laptop. This adapter has worked flawlessly with every other update I have done, and it opens up my programing software without any issues. I am able to do virtual control with my ARC XT software with no problems. I shut down everything else as there are no other programs running. I'm stuck at this point.

Manny

Last edited:

pdw911

Premium Subscriber
Thank you...with this update do we need to adjust p25 adjust mode and level

With version 6 firmware I found a sweet spot set at 8 and 100 for Philadelphia P25.

11 and 50 worked, but I think I saw improvement and better hits with 8 and 100

I'll tinker if it isn't known

pdw911

Premium Subscriber
Thanks...11 and 50

Manny..you don't have ARC running in back ground do you...it might be tying up the com port..also verify com port settings - 115200 for front port (in setting serial port..i believe this is the default port setting for the front) and that it matches what the computer says the port is set to in device manager

Last edited:

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Thanks...11 and 50

Manny..you don't have ARC running in back ground do you...it might be tying up the com port

No, I dont! I made sure NOTHING else is running. The funny thing is that when it tells me radio is not responding or cannot detect radio, I shut the updater down open the ARC software and read the radio data without a problem! Front port setting is exactly 115200. I'm gonna put it down and go have some dinner. This is not worth me getting frustrated over. I've done everything I could on my end. I don't NEED the update. The CSP P25 system is working just fine.

Manny

Last edited:

mjdewey

Radio Man, ComL, ComT, Auxcomm
Paul,

I just wanted to thank your crew for making the firmware updater the wasiest I have ever done.
Thanks!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.