RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners and Receivers Forums > Uniden Forums

Uniden Forums Forums for the discussion of all Uniden scanning radios and receivers.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-05-2014, 4:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2SJW View Post
This is centered around the fact that pulling the USB cable will automatically kick the scanner out of mass storage mode. For some reason, they don't want that to happen until you physically power-cycle the unit to initiate the FW update process.

The squelch tail fix is music to my ears! Listening to the NJSP before this fix was a real annoyance...
So you're not required to eject when just updating Fav Lists or DB update?

Is the backlight squelch issue fixed? Does it stay on the entire transmission?
Sponsored links
Old 03-05-2014, 4:20 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default Uniden BCD436HP

Thank you for your assistance and your patience also with these updates. I use the 436 and the BCD536HP in a business setting and both units work very well.
Old 03-05-2014, 4:21 PM
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

The changelog says that the backlight issue has been fixed. I don't use that mode, so I haven't tested it.

I always yank the cable after dumping updates to my FL's. I haven't corrupted the SD card, nor damaged the scanner doing that way. I did the HP-1 the same way & never had issues...

Old 03-05-2014, 4:23 PM

Quote:
The changelog says that the backlight issue has been fixed. I don't use that mode, so I haven't tested it.

I always yank the cable after dumping updates to my FL's. I haven't corrupted the SD card, nor damaged the scanner doing that way. I did the HP-1 the same way & never had issues...
Thanks. That's what I always did on my HP-1.
Old 03-05-2014, 4:30 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

All flashed here. The backlight seems better, although I was hoping they would have added some delay to the open squelch mode, it is still as annoying as before.
@kc2kzz - My Twitter feed. @WCAlerts - Warren County Fire/EMS alerts
Sponsored links
Old 03-05-2014, 4:35 PM
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I'm slightly annoyed that I can't get the backlight to behave like the 396XT. I had it on that unit set up that only the light button would enable it, it had a definitive time-out (10 seconds), but if I was pushing buttons while doing something with the unit, the time-out would not engage until I actually stopped interacting with the unit.

I hope a future firmware update can return that same behavior...

Last edited by W2SJW; 03-05-2014 at 4:46 PM..
Old 03-05-2014, 5:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosoup4u View Post
All flashed here. The backlight seems better, although I was hoping they would have added some delay to the open squelch mode, it is still as annoying as before.
I'm not sure what you mean? When a transmission is received and squelch is broke, does the backlight stay on for the duration of the transmission?
Old 03-05-2014, 5:28 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

The backlight issue is fixed on P25 in squelch mode - it operates as it should now with the update. What would be nice is if the backlight stayed on through the end of the two second delay (or however long you set the delay for each of your channels/talkgroup). But I can live with it like it is now.
RS Pro-60
Old 03-05-2014, 6:06 PM

I'm still hearing crackling on Loudoun Co TDMA transmissions.

Old 03-05-2014, 6:08 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by whsbuss View Post
Well on my Win7 eject is not showing. Never did for any USB device. Now what?
Look harder at the right-click menu in Windows Explorer.

Quote:
This is centered around the fact that pulling the USB cable will automatically kick the scanner out of mass storage mode. For some reason, they don't want that to happen until you physically power-cycle the unit to initiate the FW update process.
This is recommended procedure with all USB devices, especially those with a "drive" (some kind of storage device) in them. Doing either "Eject" or the "safely remove" procedure from the system tray closes any open files (theoretically .. being Windows, sometimes it screws up). Failure to do so, as the nag message says when you run afoul of this process, could result in corrupted or lost files.

As for the firmware update, installed here without a hitch. The only digital system I'm monitoring right now is the digital side of a hybrid analog/digital Smartzone (ASTRO 7.1x) system, and there's virtually no discernable difference in digital performance before or after. If anything, maybe it performs a tiny bit poorer on very distant, weak signals. Or maybe I'm just paying really close attention to gauge its fitness.

For me, the LCD has always stayed lit during the whole transmission - it does go out as soon as the squelch closes, but doesn't stay lit during the "delay" period before the scanner moves on to the next channel. I'm fine with that.

The other improvements from the update, I can't comment on, as they don't seem to apply to my circumstance.

Last edited by Jay911; 03-05-2014 at 6:19 PM..
Old 03-05-2014, 6:18 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

UpMan....I love this update already. The End Code works correctly now on my local Motorola Type II Analog system. No more squelch tail. No discernible difference for me on P25 reception.
Old 03-05-2014, 6:24 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Oh! I lied. I did have some relevant experience with some of the other improvements. The conventional discovery - now does indeed move on after detecting a P25 trunk control channel. On one that I was particularly distant from, it took a long time to move on, as if it was having a hard time recognizing it (I presume it does something like find a WACN in the data stream, then move on).

I've never had long periods of static/squelch after a transmission - not on this radio. On two of my HP1s, 800 MHz frequencies - both trunked and conventional - do have such a squelch issue, and I thought it was an internal squelch setting specific to that band, since it doesn't occur on other bands.
Old 03-05-2014, 6:31 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default Re: BCD436HP First Maintenance Release v1.03.00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay911 View Post
I've never had long periods of static/squelch after a transmission - not on this radio. On two of my HP1s, 800 MHz frequencies - both trunked and conventional - do have such a squelch issue, and I thought it was an internal squelch setting specific to that band, since it doesn't occur on other bands.
Oh I did...it was bad enough for me I couldn't listen to it for too long. Thankfully corrected now.
Old 03-05-2014, 6:40 PM

Quote:

The squelch tail fix is music to my ears! Listening to the NJSP before this fix was a real annoyance...
mine wasn't that bad but audio is even better on NJSP than is was before very very clear now without the tail

nice job UpMan and crew!!!!!!
Old 03-05-2014, 6:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay911 View Post
Look harder at the right-click menu in Windows Explorer.

This is recommended procedure with all USB devices, especially those with a "drive" (some kind of storage device) in them. Doing either "Eject" or the "safely remove" procedure from the system tray closes any open files (theoretically .. being Windows, sometimes it screws up). Failure to do so, as the nag message says when you run afoul of this process, could result in corrupted or lost files.

As for the firmware update, installed here without a hitch. The only digital system I'm monitoring right now is the digital side of a hybrid analog/digital Smartzone (ASTRO 7.1x) system, and there's virtually no discernable difference in digital performance before or after. If anything, maybe it performs a tiny bit poorer on very distant, weak signals. Or maybe I'm just paying really close attention to gauge its fitness.

For me, the LCD has always stayed lit during the whole transmission - it does go out as soon as the squelch closes, but doesn't stay lit during the "delay" period before the scanner moves on to the next channel. I'm fine with that.

The other improvements from the update, I can't comment on, as they don't seem to apply to my circumstance.
Thanks.
Sponsored links
Old 03-05-2014, 7:06 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default Squelch tail GONE !!

SAAAWEET ! just updated AND squelch tail GONE ! I was just about to box it up and send her back this week. My reception range seems to be a ted better also unless its just a better night for receiving. Now if I could get rid of those pesky little white specs inside my screen and increase the fonts in the display a little bit !!
Old 03-05-2014, 7:11 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

EDACs long trailing beep(s) issue seems to be solved with this update too! NICE WORK!
Old 03-05-2014, 8:16 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

A hint on the update...
The Sentinel prompt at the end of the update is misleading. After downloading the firmware file and transferring it to your radio Sentinel displays the "eject before continuing" message while the program is still running. Unfortunately you probably CAN'T eject the 436 until you click OK and close Sentinel. If you try you will get a message about files being in use. Close Sentinel, wait 15 seconds, try the eject again. It will probably work. Sometimes the eject function takes a little while, so be patient.
Old 03-05-2014, 9:15 PM
FL, GA, AL, MS Admin
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Database Admin

Default BCD436HP First Maintenance Release v1.03.00

Glad I used an external SD card reader. Went smooth on my end this way.
Old 03-05-2014, 9:17 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveharpe View Post
A hint on the update...
The Sentinel prompt at the end of the update is misleading. After downloading the firmware file and transferring it to your radio Sentinel displays the "eject before continuing" message while the program is still running. Unfortunately you probably CAN'T eject the 436 until you click OK and close Sentinel. If you try you will get a message about files being in use. Close Sentinel, wait 15 seconds, try the eject again. It will probably work. Sometimes the eject function takes a little while, so be patient.
Unless they've changed things since the HP1 Sentinel, I doubt this.. I have 3 HP1s and routinely connect & disconnect them without closing Sentinel when I do weekly DB updates.
Closed Thread