RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners and Receivers Forums > Uniden Forums > Uniden Future Designs

Uniden Future Designs For discussion of upcoming models, wish lists or all other topics on possible designs or features.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-07-2012, 9:52 AM

1.a radio with a removeable face plat to chang color face plates 2. scrach resitante glass 3.a sdr chip 4.to pick up cell phones 5.fire tone outs inputs 6.p25 phase 1 7.p25 phase ll tdma 8.p25 phasell x2tdma9.nxdn trs and nxdn anolog 10.mototrbo and nexedge 11.voip 12.a touch screen 13.windows based working system 14. bigger keys and numbers and test lines on screen 15..things to come in the box 1 plug 2 printed manual 3.a 800mgz attena
Sponsored links
Old 12-07-2012, 10:42 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Of the digital modes already stated, if I had to prioritize: P25II, then NXDN/IDAS, MTurbo, then DStar.

More memory. Today's memory prices are so low, it's inexcusable to not have x2, x4, or even x10 more memory. I travel a lot and regularly switch requirements. It's nice to have it all loaded the way I want without worrying about V-files or their equivalent.

Bluetooth audio with optional speaker mute. Nice way to quietly listen in!

With all the extra memory you'll undoubtedly give me, we need to increase the number of system quick keys (at least 1000?) AND the number of group quick keys (at least 100?). Enable system and group access by an expansion of the direct key method, e.g., 872.120.49 would take you to system 872, group 120, channel 49. (Yes, I could use that in my job!) Clean up the bottom 2 rows of the screen to show this data real-time.

Enter a frequency once, and allow its use in multiple scan groups. (Oops, that's "Object Oriented," isn't it. But that's really a good idea ...)

Here's a dream shot: give me KVL key loader support for AES-OFB and DES-OFB. Yeah, it's a dream, but I could use it.

Optional power-on password protection.

10-hour battery life. Interchangeable battery pack like a professional radio (with, of course, a clam-shell AA pack). Drop-in intelligent multi-chem charger for the radio and spare battery with spring contacts for an external antenna built in. Might even develop a similar charger for vehicular use.

Professional, heavy duty construction. With all these additional items, it'll likely be larger. I can live with that, but make it feel like and be as durable as an APX7000 or a Viking 600 or a Thales Liberty.

Knock my socks off.
Old 12-09-2012, 11:06 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Kind of a newbie, so this may be available already. When I load a large number of frequencies using software (in this case ARC-XT Pro), and then start listening to what I've uploaded, I always end of using the L/O feature for those freqs that sound encrypted or just dead-air. It would be nice to be able to review what I've locked out temporarily and then use a feature of the radio, or the software to either delete the freq or flag it as permanently locked out unless I want it back.

I've tried different methods of doing this, and it all seems very clumsy. Sometimes I note the freq I don't want then I try to find it in my ARC-XT Pro software, but I can't find a easy way to search all sites/groups.
Old 12-09-2012, 12:09 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Some more from me, although I already posted a ton.

This feature I believe would be very useful to most if not all folks.

I do a lot of aviation listening. My style is to follow planes from as far away as I can hear them from a local tower (or passing through the area) up to the airport or to the other end of my receive range. So I like to monitor frequencies in order as the plane gets handed off from one place to another.

For the HomePatrol style interface, it would be great to have a tactical display ... fully configurable by the end user.

If you ever saw the old ScanStar Pro software from Signal Intelligence (the new ones have it too) they had a great visual display of the frequencies and banks etc. It made it trivial to tune to a specific frequency simply by clicking on one...

So, on the HomePatrol, a screen with small or rectangular buttons that are simply analog discrete frequencies, or a talkgroup, or a system, or an agency or a whatever... This way I can program a PAD of channels/buttons in the tactical display for say, NY Approach Control, Final Approach to JFK, JFK Tower and then JFK Ground... the other remaining buttons depending how many I get, could be set up for the airline frequencies and or ramp control etc.

Today for me to switch around I have to create a special Favorites list and listen to it locked and then unlock it or move to the next list as needed and sometimes it takes me too long to lock into the next freq or bank and I miss the call...

Think of a screen of say 6 buttons or 9 buttons whatever ... and behind each, it is whatever I want to program :-) Pushing the button is like a radio button and not a selector.. .so pushing it selectes [it] and unselects anything else that was selected before...
Old 12-09-2012, 12:11 PM

Pdf, my BCT15 sits on my end table next to me, and when the boyfriend is watching something, I run my headphones to it. Otherwise, he listens in too and once in a while something crazy will come up. I'm glad he at least tries to get in on it.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
Sponsored links
Old 12-09-2012, 12:32 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

If only my wife was that kind :P She usually wants to KILL ME if I even ACCIDENTALLY unplug the headphones... lol
Old 12-09-2012, 6:42 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I have to listen with my headphones in bed all the time or "she" wants to throw it out the window.

Save Gas. Drive a Diesel...
Old 12-09-2012, 6:51 PM

I'd like to see a barebones USB receiver, paired with an entirely software-based scanner.

It'd never be obsolete - Uniden could just add decode modes in software for years to come, charging for each update.

Uniden would need to hire a UX guy for the software, though. Pretty sure we can all agree on that.
Old 12-09-2012, 6:57 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

You know about the FunCube Dongle don't you?

not sure how capable it would be as a SCANNEr especially for digital and truniking etc. but, things are getting VERY interesting in the SDR space... enough for me to at least get my feet wet with FunCube ... I plan to buy one soon and learn/play.

The idea of RECORDING a swath of SPECTRUM in RAW form is priceless... you can then go back and forth on the file and "listen" to any portion of the band recorded and go back and forth and essentially listen to the whole thing anywhere and miss nothing.

Right now the only drawback tothe FunCube is the huge gap in the Military Aviation band.. otherwise, it is a DC to Daylight to deal... very interesting project indeed!
Sponsored links
Old 12-11-2012, 9:53 PM
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

With people using the USB cables for extended data have the ability for the scanner to run off the power of the USB cable. Not necessary able to charge but run the scanner to save battery.
Old 12-11-2012, 9:59 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

BCD125AT runs exactly that way and charges too It probably will be the way of the future for all new radios... heck I even expect USB 3 to speed up my download to BCD996XT to be within a second or so from the two minutes it takes now :P
Old 03-11-2013, 7:03 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I hope Mr. UP Man reads all of these suggestions.

And don't forget CHARGING TERMINALS on bottom of portable scanners! PLEASE!
Old 03-11-2013, 7:24 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I am using a 396XT. I would like a display line that gives you the MOT trunk system number and site number,
such as "System 6D19 Site #25"

or maybe even better a way to input those items and then put alphatags so that the display could be seen instead as (for the above) "NSTMR Nuttby Mtn"

The ultimate would be that you wouldnt even have to assign alphatags manually... it would come out of the RR database automatically.

I would like this as I listen to a large system that re-uses control channel frequencies but would like to know specifically which site I am getting rather than just knowing I am getting one of the sites that uses a particular CC frequency.
Old 03-11-2013, 7:47 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I would like the ability to transfer programming from the current model scanners to the next. For larger statewide systems where there are many sites, I would like to associate control channel frequencies to Site IDs. When you activate a system whether be it by quick key or not, the scanner would search for any active control channel frequencies that you program. The scanner would then unlock the active sites that it finds (For systems reuse frequencies, the correct site name would show up). To be positively sure that the sites that the scanner unlocks are from the actual system you want, you could tie the trunking system to a system ID.

Jacob
Old 03-11-2013, 8:57 PM

Red face

1. i'd like it.
2. i'd like it soon.
3. i want it to do tdma <all phases>.
4.i will not be the first one to buy it. after the gre psr-120 fiasco, i'll wait to see what other's think about it.
5.i'd like it to be the bug free version.
6.i'd like the base version to be the size and design of the bc898t. never happen.
7.i do not want a hp-1 based upgrade. if thats the case,i'll skip it, and forget tdma.
8. for a portable, i don't want the design of the psr-800. chintzy plastic crap.
9.for the price that we get charged for all this technology, for goodness sake,put it in a nice
case,with a real speaker !.
10.although i don't have a simulcast issue,i've heard from the others that do.

Old 03-15-2013, 4:36 PM
Engineer - SNE DB Admin
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

This thread is mostly TLR for me, so Ill add what I want, maybe compound to the pile.
1) MotoTrbo. First and foremost
2) NXDN
3) IF receive bandwidth change
4) Keypad entry alpha entry. (Like GRE does)
5) More than a set limit of groups per system, like the 996XT has. You have to do four or five downloads on some Radio Reference systems because of this
6) More quick-keys. 100 isn't enough. I'm using 98 quick keys with the scanner 52% programmed.
7) Instead of the uniden proprietary connector, how about a real mini or micro USB connector on the front. Any standard USB cable out of the laptop bag would work.
8) One touch monitor (open squelch)
9) The ability to auto store close call hits after powered down.

And as others have said, the 396XT/996XT body style.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:24 PM

1. Drop in Charger.
2. No/Much Higher limit on uIDs inside System
3. USB Cable for data transfer. (+1 for the USB power as well)
4. Color LCD screen - not a touch screen! Whilst I like the look and idea of a HP-1 I still love my 996 & 396's because they actually look like they mean business.
Old 03-20-2013, 5:26 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

NXDN and MOTOTRBO, P25 Phase 2, D-Star, Etc.
Ability to receive analog video (900 mhz-5.8ghz) on a base scanner
Wider receive range.
SSB modes
More talkgroups allowed per system. (perhaps this has been addressed in newer models than my 396T)

The ability to clone radios via a 1/8th inch stereo audio cable from Headphone Jack to headphone jack.
Old 03-20-2013, 5:49 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

DAYYYYUMMMM, sounds like this is gonna be a $20,000.00 scanner!!!!!!! You guys are wanting a lot. Me personally, I just want ALL digital standards added...that'll be fine by me.
Old 03-20-2013, 7:08 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

(if this hasnt already been mentioned in the 10 previous pages) a 3rd side button, programmable to the option of your choice. One of the options being "monitor" like motorola radios have. (holding this button completely opens the squelch)