RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners and Receivers Forums > Uniden Forums > Uniden Future Designs

Uniden Future Designs For discussion of upcoming models, wish lists or all other topics on possible designs or features.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-22-2013, 8:03 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I took a road trip the other day which gave me some brainstorming time.

1) Delay per channel instead of by system
2) Positive AND negative delay instead of either/or
3) +1 Customizable display for character size & info
4) Record onto SD card in handheld version
5) +1 Have trunk sites checked against system ID, site number, WACN, connect tone, etc.
6) Add volume offset for key beeps (+2 +1 0 -1 -2)
7) +1 More talk groups per system
8) Have close call compare hits to the programmed frequencies & tones and display an alpha tag if found. Start with active systems then search by location using GPS in the downloaded database. (If locking out CC hit, does it lock out the programmed frequencies as well?)
Sponsored links
Old 08-23-2013, 9:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scanningisfun View Post
Not to get off topic, but $200 is a steal.

Jacob
Yeah it is, but to me still isn't worth it.
Old 08-23-2013, 3:34 PM

Besides all the new common formats that uniden can interpret... I would love to have a 5 second rewind of audio. There is so many times I am on my bluetooth cell phone or someone is chatting and I miss the traffic. This would be a solid color button like "green" that would do a digital rewind of the traffic. I think it would be simple add on. I know everyone would love this...
Old 08-23-2013, 3:36 PM
Completely Banned for the Greater Good
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyhetzel View Post
Besides all the new common formats that uniden can interpret... I would love to have a 5 second rewind of audio.
That already exists. Just hit the "replay" button.
Old 08-24-2013, 1:25 PM

MotoTrbo and/or NXDN. This would by far, be the best thing for the hobby as a whole. And I suggest that everyone who feels the same, go over to the Uniden site, and contact them to tell them that. I have been told there's quite a bit of interest from the Uniden America people, and they would actually like to have this in a model... but nothing is planned yet by the Japanese side. So the more interest you can show them, the better. Ask them to please pass your comments onto Japan, or you can translate your message and send it directly through the Japan site. And obviously, you want have your request be mature and polite. Something like... "When the heck are you guys going to make____?" would not be taken well. Rudeness does not go over well in Japan at all. :-)
Sponsored links
áááááááá
Old 08-24-2013, 2:50 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Just wondering...

At what point do the (rather substantial) development costs of a new scanner exceed the potential for unit sales? I have no statistics to back me up but the anecdotal evidence (see Bob Grove's comments) points to a decline in this market.
Old 08-24-2013, 6:32 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Doesn't Motorola have to give Uniden the OK to allow MotoTrbo to be built into scanners

Save Gas. Drive a Diesel...
Old 08-24-2013, 9:28 PM

If the market is in decline you need to figure out how to grow the market.

Personally, I would like to see the ability to update firmware, and program my scanners from Linux instead of Windows. If I might add, Ubuntu Linux has a nice app store if Uniden wishes to sell it. Personally, I think if Uniden and Freescan would go open source linux drivers and software they'd be ahead of the game. Their strong point is the hardware, firmware, and ease of use. I suspect if they don't someone else eventually will.

There are ways to be open source developers yet retain your secret sauce. Think about it.

A bigger leap would be to get into Software Defined Radio and Linux. Build the RF hardware and take adavantage of and contribute to the Linux SDR community. The market around this might be small now, but if you nurture it, I think it will grow.

Last edited by mrxdimension; 08-24-2013 at 9:45 PM..
Old 08-25-2013, 10:56 AM

What do I want? Clearer audio, especially in the handhelds. GRE might not have had much of a front-end, but the audio sounded great.
Sponsored links
Old 08-28-2013, 1:09 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Power cable

For a base/mobile model like the BCD996XT, I'd like the inline fuses in the DC power cable to be at the opposite (from the radio connector) end of the cable.

Reason: For those of us who install in a base/mobile station with the WestMountain RigRunner (which includes fuses), the inline fuses just get in the way, and it would be nice to just clip them.

Yes, I could use the 12vDC barrel connector, but that's not as physically secure as the Uniden connector.

Or, put the fuse in the radio, not in the cable, and use an ATC/ATO fuse connector at the rear of the radio.
Old 08-28-2013, 2:39 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

slim remote head
bigger more customizable LCD screen.
true dual receive
signal metering between 2 antennas (I've seen it on Icom 2820)
Old 09-02-2013, 4:25 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I would like to see a Priority enhancement done. Currently Uniden scanners have to decode the tone when returning from a priority scan. This causes a pause that frustrates me to the point that I have to remove all the tones from memory.

The fix would be to tell the scanner to unmute the audio while it is decoding the tone. That way immediately following the priority scan the audio will come back and there will be no pause while it is decoding the tone. And if the tone is not found it will resume scanning.

I would also like to see a firmware for my bcd396xt, bcd996xt, bct15x and bc125at to fix this problem. I hope it is in the works. It sounds like an easy fix to me. I wish there was an email to send these recommendations to uniden techs directly. I just don't know if Uniden will ever see this. I sent an email to customer Service but who knows if it will ever be seen by the right person?? Sigh
Old 09-02-2013, 4:46 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I forgot to mention above that I would also like to see the separate Squelch knob make a return. I know this will probably not happen unless a lot of hobbyist ask for it/want it. I really miss being able to adjust squelch easily on the fly. It just seems like one of those controls that you should not have to push buttons to access. I would even be happy if it was incorporated into one of those dual knob deals or give me squelch instead of scroll. Or maybe a setting in the software to change the scroll function to a squelch. I miss my squelch knob.
Old 09-02-2013, 9:05 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default What Do You Want In The Next Uniden?

Rest assured, these postings are read by "UPMan", who is a product developer at Uniden.
Old 09-02-2013, 9:10 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by ke4wkp View Post
I forgot to mention above that I would also like to see the separate Squelch knob make a return. .
YES!! and a volume knob that doesnt require being pushed to use!
Old 09-02-2013, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrxdimension View Post
If the market is in decline you need to figure out how to grow the market.

Personally, I would like to see the ability to update firmware, and program my scanners from Linux instead of Windows. If I might add, Ubuntu Linux has a nice app store if Uniden wishes to sell it. Personally, I think if Uniden and Freescan would go open source linux drivers and software they'd be ahead of the game. Their strong point is the hardware, firmware, and ease of use. I suspect if they don't someone else eventually will.

There are ways to be open source developers yet retain your secret sauce. Think about it.

A bigger leap would be to get into Software Defined Radio and Linux. Build the RF hardware and take adavantage of and contribute to the Linux SDR community. The market around this might be small now, but if you nurture it, I think it will grow.

AMEN, AMEN!!! Of course at present Uniden doesn't make ANY software applications for their XT scanners, but the fact that they deployed a serial port out-of-the-box suggests they wanted to make it programmer-friendly. But it would be awesome to have a few linux/unix terminal-based applications with simple config files for logging, programming, dumping/analyzing CC data for ALL system types, etc (think very basic tcpdump/wireshark...)
Old 11-08-2013, 10:56 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Thumbs up A better manual

I would like to see a much better manual. Specifically:

1. For fixed units, how about a picture of the rear of the unit? After installation (and sometimes during), it is nice to be able to see where to plug in a cable when space and/or lighting to read the embossing on the rear is limited.

2. A few examples.

3. Assuming HTML is used, no links to the wrong page.

4. For the successor to the BCD996XT, ___FIX___ the colorization feature. Having the color for a channel drop to the default color after just a few seconds (with an unnecessary flash), makes it completely unusable for me.

5. Keep the RS-232 ports (ignore the requests for USB -- there are plenty of USB-to-serial converters out there).

Reference: I have the BCD996XT.
Old 11-08-2013, 12:33 PM
Wiki Admin Emeritus
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Obvious answer to AE7Q's most valid suggestion...

Hire the author of the Easier to Read manuals to write the manuals for the 2 new scanners....with a nice fat premium for the royalties to the manuals, natch...

And create a better index in the Uniden TWiki for each feature or function. It could be structured much like our glossary - alphabetically by term. This would make it WAY easier for someone to find how to use a function - say, Number Tags or Fire Tone Out. Heck even I could do that...

Mike

Last edited by ka3jjz; 11-08-2013 at 12:37 PM..
Old 11-10-2013, 10:52 PM

(1) I would like to see a new hand-held that has a simple and quick way to go directly to the repeater of any frequency your holding on or the scanner is stopped on. So if monitoring 470.2XXX, when the dispatcher says "drop the repeater" or "go side door", you can press a button and be on 473.2XXX. The Uniden 780 had this feature, not sure what else does, but I would like to see it in a hand-held due to the fact you have to be in close range to the person that made the request to drop the repeater to hear the communication.

(2) More Service Search lockouts.. You can never have enough.

(3) Additional Digital and Trunking systems that currently cannot be monitored.

(4) An efficient built in Signal Booster Amp with on/off for global or per channel.. It can be done.. And would be very useful for monitoring Frequencies that come in poor due to geographic. I have a Motorola Trunking control channel frequency that comes in very weak. All other frequencies around it come in strong. When I placed a GRE Superamp on the scanner it came in full strength. It Sounded great! But the the GRE Superamp is bulky and adds a lot of weight, just doesn't look good IMO.

(5) I would like to see the next version (replacement) of the mobile 355N to have a green display like the BCT7.. And again, more service search lockouts.

(6) Change the hand-helds back to a BNC connector.

Last edited by walter900; 11-10-2013 at 10:55 PM..
Old 01-11-2014, 4:06 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman105 View Post
I would love to see a hand held version of the HP-1
Since it was my idea ....do I get a free one?