RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners and Receivers Forums > Uniden Forums > Uniden Future Designs

Uniden Future Designs For discussion of upcoming models, wish lists or all other topics on possible designs or features.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-21-2012, 11:24 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default What Do You Want In The Next Uniden?

TDMA, TRBO, great Simulcast reception, and a sleep timer.
Sponsored links

Old 10-21-2012, 11:35 PM

Thumbs up wish list

New handheld feature request:

A better priority system. Something much faster like professional two-way radios use.
The ability to hear all current system types.
Individual channel delay settings.
The ability to move frequencies up or down in system banks on the radio instead of needing a computer to do it.
Old 10-22-2012, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey View Post
Since this appears to be a thread where we can dream, in addition to the different formats, TDMA, MOTOTRBO, NXDN, etc, I would also love to see the HomePatrol in a portable form factor, but includes an optional "Convert-A-Com" for true mobile use. Fanon Courier's "Scanfare" 4-channel crystal scanner from the '70s had one that would do all of the external connections (RF, audio, power/charge) in a single molded plug that plugged into the side of the scanner.
This would be a very nice thing to have, especially if they could incorporate a remote head into it. Kind of like the RH-96 but at the end of all those cables, just make it a drop-in cradle, instead of individual plugs, and also incorporate charging, an external antenna, and external speaker ports on the cradle. I would be willing to pay good money for this if they made this as an option.

*EDIT* i dont mean do this for a homepatrol style scanner, i would prefer this for a traditional handheld one, like the 396XT or whatever new version it will be

Last edited by brndnstffrd; 10-22-2012 at 12:12 AM..
Old 10-22-2012, 12:19 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCMon View Post

Individual channel delay settings.
This is much needed. I hate having to organize my groups based on what ones need a certain delay time.
Old 10-22-2012, 1:28 AM

NXDN, Moto, Phase2, etc would be great, along with better P25 audio in general would make me very happy.
Old 10-22-2012, 7:19 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

More Audio Output....
Old 10-22-2012, 1:00 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

A feature that some of my GRE's have that I wish my 396XT has:
Last active channel recall when you press Manual.
So many times the radio is talking on a channel and starts scanning before I have a chance to get over to it to see who it was or hear the reply if the delay wasn't set long enough. On my Pro-106 you just hit the Manual key and it reverts back to the last active channel and stays there until you hit scan again.
Shouldn't be very hard to even incorporate it in the next 396XT update (if there will be one).
Old 10-22-2012, 1:25 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

I would prefer full control of my $500 device from its keypad, but i MIGHT be able to get over that. 1 thing i could never get over is a touch screen. I would never own a touch screen on something i plan on keeping more then a year or 2.. Especially if its on something ill be taking with me every time i leave the house.

And how about adding a 3 and a 4 to the delay times. 1, 2, and then 5 is just asinine!
Old 10-22-2012, 6:02 PM

The adjustable delay per channel request is huge...I missed that. What were they thinking with a whole system of conventional channels having one universal delay time? In my Phoenix FD system, I want my dispatch only channel to have no delay, or maybe 1 second, and I want my fire-ground channels to have a long delay. None of these product engineers could foresee something like this?

And I also second the mention of a decode that does NAC along with PL/DPL. GRE already does this.
Old 10-22-2012, 6:50 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioDitch View Post

***P25 Phase II TDMA Capable (A reality only 6mos out for us in NJ)***
-NXDN Capable (Railroads WILL be switching over in 2017. Railfans are a big part of your market guys!)
-P25 Standard Non-TRS Radio ID's (Single channel trunked for this is a major pain)
-MDC ID Decode
-Ability to enable iCall in radio menu, without FreeScan
-Detachable faceplate WITH power control would be awesome for mobile ops. (BC-RH96 is bulky for this, and has no power control.)
Agreed on these... Here's a few I'd like as well. Whatever the "next" is that's new please PLEASE keep the keypad. I don't use the programming software. I still enjoy doing all my programming by hand. As I said for the PSR-900 no keypad = me not buying it.
As others have said even though I have a portable/Minitor V for it adding some additional Fire Tone Out slots even if it's up to 15-20 would be nice. I'd also like to see the ability to monitor a 2nd channel with the FTO since there's 2 different dispatch channels in our County that cuts down on what I can add.

One other thing maybe it's already possible and I haven't found it yet is when I have my 396XT or 15X in Priority Scan mode and it stops on a priority channel if something is going on there's no way to "lock" it onto that channel like I could with the older scanners by hitting hold and one of the number keys to stop it from scanning. Doing that with these goes into Direct Entry and not what I want to do. So maybe allowing us to double tap the hold button or something to lock it there would be nice. I don't know, maybe there's a way to do this already w/o temporarily having to turn the Priority off in the menu but I haven't found it yet.

210XLT, 120XLT, BCT2, Pro-90, Pro-2048, Pro-94, BCT15X, PSR-800,BCD396XT,BCD996XT
Old 10-22-2012, 9:31 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_G View Post
More Audio Output....
I've been begging for this for years but no one at Uniden seems to listen or care. The bean counters at Uniden will only give us a measly 0.92 watts output with an 8 ohm load measured at the external speaker jack of the 996XT when they advertise 2 watts. So our $500 scanners sound like a $30 wall mart blister pack radio...
Old 10-22-2012, 9:44 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

The ability to decode MDC1200 ID's along with an user-created alias list for analog systems.
Old 10-23-2012, 12:02 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Hows about a pre-amp, along with additional modes of ssb mode for wbfm signals, drop in charger.
Old 10-23-2012, 8:47 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

The ability to handle P25 Simulcast systems clearly.
Old 10-23-2012, 12:49 PM
Mentor
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

I'm afraid that if TRBO/NXDN get included in a next generation scanner that many radio shops will start clicking on the encryption box right from the start. Would still be nice to have though. I'd also like to see better simulcast reception but it seems difficult to do with a wideband receiver priced under $500.
Old 10-23-2012, 1:09 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Really simple for me make the buttons more "disablity friendly". There''s nothing more annoying than trying to turn the 996 on and off and having the back light color change!!!`
kc2gik@justinmattes.com
Old 10-23-2012, 1:14 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

1) TDMA
2) WIFI with built in app to receive feeds
3) A full size usb port.
Old 10-23-2012, 1:34 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default more stuff

drop-in charger would be nice
a way to put chanels in order..for the ocd in all of us
its also a quick way to see if we have a freq in the radio
i know i can try a freq and see that i have it but why put in 154.4075 when 154.41 will work
a 20 second or so play-back
sound squelch by-pass no audio or mike locked open times
to be able to put my name in the machine-might help if lost and/or
a password
bottle opener-ok optional just seeing if you are reading all of this
a voltage readout and not bars for reception
floats in water
Old 10-23-2012, 10:33 PM

~Wifi ready...to prog remotely.
~Bluetooth...listen quietly..so wife does not cry.
~Able to scan while enabling FTO (fire tone out).
~Slot card on rear for digital upgrades.
~All the common new systems.
~Dual tuner...with audio outs for two speaker systems like my alpine d-din. Great for cc. Btw
~Composite output for larger screen, integrate into home system or vehicle monitor.
~More system keys...10 is too small
~Solid black face with back lighted volume and squelch knobs like the uniden 785D.
~Extra wire on back for ignition....so I can leave unit on and have it controlled via switch... Two hour delayed turn off. Like the ram module for public safety.
Old 10-24-2012, 2:52 AM

[QUOTE=RadioDitch;1839972]Hoping this thread doesn't get shot down. Because I think UPman and several others have made it clear our input counts. As a customer, I'm frustrated that there are some things missing that could make Uniden, my favorite brand, the ultimate.

-MDC ID Decode <-----------how about MDC-1200 mute like my motorola ht1550xls and my cdm1250???? thatd be cool (((tired of hearing the SQWAAAAK))) after a transmission on a scanner. it drove me to buy motorolas AND the 300 dollar programming software.