RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners and Receivers Forums > Uniden Forums > Uniden Future Designs

Uniden Future Designs For discussion of upcoming models, wish lists or all other topics on possible designs or features.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-25-2014, 6:25 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Post Full database

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay911 View Post
Um.. you have this ability..

You can do it in Sentinel or in the radio itself..

In Sentinel:

1. Click on either USA or Canada
2. Click on any state
3. Click on any county
4. Click on Nationwide
5. Highlight systems you don't want to hear (one at a time
6. Press Ctrl+L
7. Repeat 5 and 6 until everything you don't want to hear in Nationwide is locked out (avoided), i.e. turned red
8. Write to scanner
9. Profit!

In the radio:

1. Menu
2. Scan Selection
3. Set Nationwide Systems <<<YOU CANT DO THIS WITHOUT HAVING FULL DATABASE ON /

4. Choose which ones you want to hear by rotating the knob and pushing it. "ON" - you will hear it; "OFF" - you will not hear it; "---" - this system does not apply for your area (i.e. Canadian nationwide systems if you're in the USA)
5. Hit Menu as many times as necessary to exit back to scanning
6. Profit!

You only have to do one or the other of those (not both).
My point is you dont have to have full database on when utilizing the radio (homepatrol) to add systems or channels with the home patrol.I dont use full database ever.The other dumb thing this radio does is you cant turn on nationwide systems without having full database on.
Sponsored links

Old 03-26-2014, 12:48 PM
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I'd like to see volume control enabled in Discovery Review mode. No reason it couldn't be enabled as the volume push-button and knob are not used for anything else in that mode.
Old 03-26-2014, 1:08 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2rty View Post
My point is you dont have to have full database on when utilizing the radio (homepatrol) to add systems or channels with the home patrol.I dont use full database ever.The other dumb thing this radio does is you cant turn on nationwide systems without having full database on.
Make a fav. list of the ones you want from the Nationwide list. Unless you want everything this is not that hard.

edit - I don't own a xxhp model - so am I allowed to comment
Old 03-26-2014, 11:05 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I just learned today that I cant dump the replay to flash for a saved file.. this murdered me and I lost critical testing data. PLEASE! allow the replay dump to memory card.. or have replay auto dump to a swap file on the flash in a single slot.
Old 03-26-2014, 11:19 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellykeeton View Post
I just learned today that I cant dump the replay to flash for a saved file.. this murdered me and I lost critical testing data. PLEASE! allow the replay dump to memory card.. or have replay auto dump to a swap file on the flash in a single slot.
What I've heard from people is that the replay buffer is saved when you initially engage the record function. That is to say, if you have replay configured for 60 seconds, when you hit Func+Replay to enable Record, your previous 60 seconds of "replay" are written to the Record folder on the card first, before the record session begins. As I always enable Record as soon as I turn the scanner on, I never knew this.

It sounds like you too want to be enabling Record as soon as you start your scanner. Record will keep writing all received signals to the card until either the card is full (if the same as the HP1, this means 512MB space left) or until Record is disabled - which happens when you explicitly do it yourself (Func+Replay again), turn off the radio, or the batteries get low (in the case of the 436).
Sponsored links
Old 03-27-2014, 1:59 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
What I've heard from people is that the replay buffer is saved when you initially engage the record function. That is to say, if you have replay configured for 60 seconds, when you hit Func+Replay to enable Record, your previous 60 seconds of "replay" are written to the Record folder on the card first, before the record session begins. As I always enable Record as soon as I turn the scanner on, I never knew this.

It sounds like you too want to be enabling Record as soon as you start your scanner. Record will keep writing all received signals to the card until either the card is full (if the same as the HP1, this means 512MB space left) or until Record is disabled - which happens when you explicitly do it yourself (Func+Replay again), turn off the radio, or the batteries get low (in the case of the 436).

record on powerup.. that would take care of it.. that feature please..

that "workaround" appears to be true from my testing just now.

but I would like to request record on power up.. that would be nice.
Old 04-01-2014, 3:18 PM
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Here are some things I'd like to see in a future firmware update:

1) Having top of display show systems and groups instead of favorites and systems if the user only has one favorites list loaded into the scanner.

2) Conventional Discovery Mode should display freq / tone instead of # of hits and freq. It doesn't really matter how many hits a frequency has when you're reviewing as much as it does to know what the freq/tone combination is when looking down over your list.

3) Conventional Discovery Mode should be expanded to use several of the Quick Search scanning ranges, much in the same way that Search with Scan works. Why should we be limited to one range when the scanner could easily handle all ten while working the same way?

4) Default recording to on with scanner power-up. I know this has been mentioned but count another vote for this one as well.

5) Having some method of showing quick keys / number tags while navigating the menus of lists, systems, and departments on the scanner. Maybe just out to the left or right as a separate column...
Old 04-09-2014, 9:31 PM

What do I want to see in future firmware updates:

The next firmware update! Its time!
Old 04-10-2014, 6:00 PM

You won't get any new firmware/feature upgrades until Uniden figure out a way of getting a poverty pack, 100Mhz RISC processor to run all these fancy new features and wifi apps that you guys keep asking for!

Honestly, it's like trying to build a super car around a 2 stroke lawnmower engine!

FuncubeDonglePro+ / DSDPlus - IC-R7100 - BCD996XT(x2) - BCD396XT - TM9155 - IC-208H, amongst others :-)
Sponsored links
Old 04-11-2014, 3:23 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default BCD436HP/BCD536HP Firmware Upgrade Wish List

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatanchor View Post
You won't get any new firmware/feature upgrades until Uniden figure out a way of getting a poverty pack, 100Mhz RISC processor to run all these fancy new features and wifi apps that you guys keep asking for!

Honestly, it's like trying to build a super car around a 2 stroke lawnmower engine!

In a matter of 1 hour you said the same thing across 4-6 threads. The phrase "100mhz RISC processor" now google hits 5 links to RR for me because of your ranting.
Old 04-11-2014, 6:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellykeeton View Post
In a matter of 1 hour you said the same thing across 4-6 threads. The phrase "100mhz RISC processor" now google hits 5 links to RR for me because of your ranting.
Wow, you must be a keen follower of mine to do delve so deeply into my provocative posts

For the record, I mentioned the above phrase in three threads (not 4-6). All of which were directly related to the topic of conversation.

Anyway, Well done - Claps slowly.

FuncubeDonglePro+ / DSDPlus - IC-R7100 - BCD996XT(x2) - BCD396XT - TM9155 - IC-208H, amongst others :-)
Old 04-11-2014, 10:29 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Well, in BoatAnchors defense, he is in a "state of Flux."
Old 04-17-2014, 9:44 AM
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

How about instead of having to type in a system name when using Trunking Discovery, which is just awkward, the scanner would provide a list of systems (it utilizes lists for everything else...) and let you pick the one you want. Most people don't have more than 10-15 trunked systems programmed in anyway.
Old 05-02-2014, 7:38 AM

Here's what I would like to see improved in the recording feature:

How about when you want to use the record feature you just hit FUNC + record and it just starts recording instead of muting your audio and taking you to another screen to ask you if you would like to record, whilst having you miss the important audio you are trying to record.

And how about some kind of icon appearing on the screen while you are recording to let you know that you're still recording.

And when you stop recording, the same problem: It takes you to another screen to ask you if you want to stop recording. Um, surely since I pressed the button to stop recording it's clear that I want to stop recording. Then it asks if I want to save the file which is another unnecessary question in my opinion. When I open the jar of pickles I don't need a feature to then ask me if I want to open the jar of pickles and another feature to ask me if I want to eat them. I opened the jar because I want to eat the pickles.
Old 05-02-2014, 9:47 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by radioroo View Post

How about when you want to use the record feature you just hit FUNC + record and it just starts recording instead of muting your audio and taking you to another screen to ask you if you would like to record, whilst having you miss the important audio you are trying to record.

And how about some kind of icon appearing on the screen while you are recording to let you know that you're still recording.

And when you stop recording, the same problem: It takes you to another screen to ask you if you want to stop recording. Um, surely since I pressed the button to stop recording it's clear that I want to stop recording. Then it asks if I want to save the file which is another unnecessary question in my opinion. When I open the jar of pickles I don't need a feature to then ask me if I want to open the jar of pickles and another feature to ask me if I want to eat them. I opened the jar because I want to eat the pickles.
For points 1 and 3, I don't have an answer for you. I don't consider it a big deal to answer yes or no when I hit record. You don't have to hit record at the time something interesting happens - hit it when you first turn on the scanner. That's how I do it and it's much easier to deal with when you're handling the recordings at a later time on the computer - just delete whatever you don't need, instead of lamenting that you missed the first few transmissions of a neat call.

For point 2: Directly above the '2' button, on the LCD, is a "REC" icon when the radio is recording. (It only shows up when a recording is being made - not when you have turned on record and nothing is happening.)
Sponsored links
Old 05-02-2014, 9:54 AM

Quote:

For point 2: Directly above the '2' button, on the LCD, is a "REC" icon when the radio is recording. (It only shows up when a recording is being made - not when you have turned on record and nothing is happening.)
Aha! I see. Thank you
Old 05-02-2014, 10:40 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by radioroo View Post

In addition to what Jay911 said I think that the scanner is recording all the time but in short time spans that you can set, say for 10 seconds, 30 seconds, etc. for the "Replay Function" to work.

Therefore, if this is true then when you go to record and the audio mutes I think the "Replay Recording" is still going and you will probably get the audio that you missed (if the seconds you have it programmed for is sufficiently long) even though you did not hear it your self. I think the "Replay Recording" is added to the recording that you initiate with the record function.

Perhaps others can jump in to let us know if I have this understood properly or not.

However, like Jay911 I usually have mine recording when it is turned on as things can happen fast and I have been involved in things that I could not leave to put the scanner in record mode and this took care of that problem.
Old 05-02-2014, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N0UDG View Post
In addition to what Jay911 said I think that the scanner is recording all the time but in short time spans that you can set, say for 10 seconds, 30 seconds, etc. for the "Replay Function" to work.

Therefore, if this is true then when you go to record and the audio mutes I think the "Replay Recording" is still going and you will probably get the audio that you missed (if the seconds you have it programmed for is sufficiently long) even though you did not hear it your self. I think the "Replay Recording" is added to the recording that you initiate with the record function.

Perhaps others can jump in to let us know if I have this understood properly or not.

However, like Jay911 I usually have mine recording when it is turned on as things can happen fast and I have been involved in things that I could not leave to put the scanner in record mode and this took care of that problem.
Oh that makes sense! If it's already recording all of the time, and I tell it to record manually I can see why there might be a glitch at it stops the replay record feature to begin recording manually from the point that I tell it to.
Old 05-03-2014, 9:11 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default Re: BCD436HP/BCD536HP Firmware Upgrade Wish List

When using the Quick Keys to turn Favorite Lists on and off, if the Favorite List name showed on tjis particular screen it would be a big help. I realize it's possible to a assign more than one FL to a QK, in that case if at least the first one was displayed it would maje the radio easier to use.

If you only have a few FL's it's easy to remember them all, but if you have over 50 like o, this additional would be a huge help.

Thanks,
Donnie

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Old 05-05-2014, 10:51 AM
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I would like to be able to selectively disable favorites list functionality so that it would instead use system and group keys on the screen.