Status
Not open for further replies.

Drkatzjr45

Emeritus Member
Premium Subscriber
Not sure if anyone else has noticed, but the mechanism for holding the chip
in the 436 seems ackward.

I much prefer the design where the chip simply slides in and out, --securely--
than the way Uniden designed this. Just my opinion.

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
Can't argue there. The slider would have made more sense. The "door" is flimsy at best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

troymail

Silent Key
Early on, I had voiced concerns that the SD card on the 436 was "buried" not only inside the radio but also behind the batteries. UPMan said not to worry, "transfers using the cable are very fast". Obviously, he wasn't talking about transfer of recordings. I found that the transfer of recordings to a PC was horribly slow over the cable. That little slider/holder isn't designed or intended for "routine" card removal (At times, I've pull the cards on my PSR800s almost daily). My guess is that those who record alot or have other reasons for needing to remove the SD card are very likely to have that flimsy little hinged card holder break/fail at some point making the radio worthless. Of course, if you don't remove the card often, this won't be an issue. Time will tell.

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
Is it possible for Uniden to take out the card holder in there now and replace them with better quality doors? Considering also the problems a lot of us are having with the cards being read by computers, it might be a good idea.

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
I know! A very cheap design.

When I first got my 436hp I opened it and saw that and said WTH. I was like hope this don't brake anytime time soon. I like to see the sd card on the side like the psr800 atleast it's more secure.

LIScanner101

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
I'm not sure I understand this. How does the card slide in? My Pro-18's microSD cardholder (well protected under a VERY sturdy plastic flap) is one of those spring-loaded types. How is it set up on the new Unidens?

LIScanner101

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
OH-MY-GOD!!!

What a total PITA.

NOT ONLY do you have to take the batteries out but that FLIMSY DOOR looks like it's just begging to be broken.

Why they didn't put it on the side like the GREs I'll never know but it is what it is.

Thanks for the warning!!

Last edited:

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
OH-MY-GOD!!!

What a total PITA.

NOT ONLY do you have to take the batteries out but that FLIMSY DOOR looks like it's just begging to be broken.

Why they didn't put it on the side like the GREs I'll never know but it is what it is.

Thanks for the warning!!

People are complaining about ERRORS when they plug the USB cord in and they turn on the radio the card is corrupt. I had trouble with the psr800 doing that so I quit using the usb and take out the card had no issues. But the 436hp I haven't try to use the usb yet cause people are saying cards corrupt fast.

ECHO3

Following Uniden's track record with the scanners they have released over the past several years, all this surprises you.......how ? Yes, I do use Uniden exclusively so there is no intentional bashing. When they get finally their act together with the x36hp, a new scanner will be released with similar or even more complex issues. Somewhat makes you wonder who does the Beta testing.

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
Door came off while I was on vacation.

While I was on vacation the past 10 days. 1st day was visiting back home and I needed to update the 4356hp and I took the SD Card out and than put back in the door came off! I was like I've been here 30 mints and it broke off. I looked at it and I snapped it back on you have to be careful cause the door can come off easy. I got the door back on still works whew.

Farscan

Premium Subscriber
I changed batteries in the dark, and pushed the micro SD card off. Not very impressed with that design.

I really dont see this as an issue,the SD card cradle is similar to the style that cell phones use for their SIM's and SD's. I dont remove the SD very often,I change out the batts daily..I keep my nails short,and with my 800 Id have to find a paperclip or use my knife tip to get the SD out due to the push-click-release...it was a pain.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.