BCDx36HP does not display radio ID on encrypted talkgroup

Status
Not open for further replies.

cellphone

Silent key.
Premium Subscriber
When I hold on an encrypted P25 talkgroup with my BCDx36HP, it displays ENC, but does not show the radio ID. I understand we cannot monitor an encrypted talkgroup, but displaying the radio ID helps in identifying encrypted talkgroup usage. I still rely on my BCD996XT for helping to ID encrypted talkgroups.

Example:

When I hear a police officer with Radio ID 101 talking on “Channel 1” talkgroup and they announce on the radio that they are going to “Channel 2”. I then seen an unidentified encrypted talkgroup show up and I see the same Radio ID 101 on this talkgroup, I have just identified this new talkgroup as “Channel 2 (Encrypted)”.

Who votes with me to have unit IDs displayed on encrypted talkgroups as part of future firmware?

detroit780

Silent Key
Database Admin
Uniden Encryption

I have complained about this since the radios came out. Only to be criticized by the Fan Boys who don't understand why anyone needs to stop on an encrypted transmission.

The PSR 800 gave the end user a choice to stop or pass by encrypted transmissions. They just set a flag in the software. Uniden chose not to let the end user make that decision. It would seem to be an easy fix in the software but judging by past performance on the 436\536 nothing is quick or easy from the sleeping giant.

When I hold on an encrypted P25 talkgroup with my BCDx36HP, it displays ENC, but does not show the radio ID. I understand we cannot monitor an encrypted talkgroup, but displaying the radio ID helps in identifying encrypted talkgroup usage. I still rely on my BCD996XT for helping to ID encrypted talkgroups.

Example:

When I hear a police officer with Radio ID 101 talking on “Channel 1” talkgroup and they announce on the radio that they are going to “Channel 2”. I then seen an unidentified encrypted talkgroup show up and I see the same Radio ID 101 on this talkgroup, I have just identified this new talkgroup as “Channel 2 (Encrypted)”.

Who votes with me to have unit IDs displayed on encrypted talkgroups as part of future firmware?

detroit780

Silent Key
Database Admin
Encryption skip

Lock out what? I think the complaint is we want it to stop on encrypted communications so we can see the radio ID and be able to tell who is taking.

I've tried the single channel trunked method on conventional too which only works if it is not encrypted. If it is encrypted the radio passes over it. Which is fine for most people, a flag setting in the software would make everyone happy make it default to skip and make us who want it to stop choose to stop on encryption.

Can't you just lockout?

joeuser

The Wretched
Maybe its a difference between the systems we monitor. On KSICS, most secured traffic goes to its own TG. So, I can just lockout that TG. I guess its not the same for you? If not, I'm sorry for the confusion. Maybe this is a feature to be added in a future firmware update. We can hope!

JoeyC

I believe that is something you would accomplish with ANALYZE (if they ever would release it). Most people don't want scanners to stop on encrypted traffic just to display the IDs. Thats what the ANALYZE application would be for, among other things.

CM1

Premium Subscriber
Along the same lines I'd love to see the ability to send out what we want to to the PC/IF jack on a per frequency and/or talk-group basis. This way we can can send out what we want (say for example ProVoice, Mototrbo etc...to an external resource for further decoding) and still use the scanners internal speaker for voice traffic.

SCPD

QRT
Enc

I have complained about this since the radios came out. Only to be criticized by the Fan Boys who don't understand why anyone needs to stop on an encrypted transmission.

The PSR 800 gave the end user a choice to stop or pass by encrypted transmissions. They just set a flag in the software. Uniden chose not to let the end user make that decision. It would seem to be an easy fix in the software but judging by past performance on the 436\536 nothing is quick or easy from the sleeping giant.

The other neat thing the PSR800 and Whistler 1080 do is give you a nice calm busy signal sound when you land on ENC so you dont have a heart attack .So you still see the talkgroup and you arent bleeding from the ears.
Uniden should add something similar soon!

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
When I hold on an encrypted P25 talkgroup with my BCDx36HP, it displays ENC, but does not show the radio ID.

That would probably be because the radio ID is part of the encrypted data, and therefore is not available unless you can decrypt the transmission

bailly2

you are able to see nac and the radio id whether its encrypted or not, at least with the gre psr 800. all the interesting talkgroups could be encrypted (washington dc, philadelphia) and you can still see if something big is happening nearby when you listen to the input frequencies and know the nac and radio ids

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
That would probably be because the radio ID is part of the encrypted data, and therefore is not available unless you can decrypt the transmission

Untrue. The radio ID, at least on a P25 transmission, is "outside" the encrypted data.

Protocol-wise, this should be possible. It's a design decision (or oversight, take your pick) by Uniden.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Perhaps I misread the spec then.

From a security perspective, that's a significant flaw. You can get a lot of intel just from knowing who is talking to who, when, and how often. If the conversation is senstitive enough to warrant being encrypted, then the individual IDs of the communicating parties should be encrypted as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.