Firmware Update BC996T

Status
Not open for further replies.

TAnderson

Feed Provider
Problem: am having problems upgrading the firmware in my BCD996T.
Current firmware: v1.03.11
I have used the BCD996T_USAD program to backup my scanner settings and confirm PC to scanner communications are OK - COM1 at 115200. I also use the Proscan program to communicate with the scanner and it works file.
Problem: BC_VUP (firmware update) program doesn't "see" (read: communicate with scanner) and so wont update firmware. I have tried different versions of the BC_VUP program. They don't work. I have tried 2 different laptops to the scanner (in addition to the original PC) and the BC_VUP program just doesn't see the scanner even after the (press 6 & L/O keys) to put the scanner in (remote program?) mode so scanner is ready to accept firmware update.

I have read the followed upgrade directions to the letter several times. I have reset my scanner to factory defaults (after my backup) and still the BC_VUP program fails when trying to see the scanner.
Q.) Anyone know a trick to get the scanner into (remote program mode) so that the BC_VUP program will inject the BCD996T_V1_04_12.scn firmware into the scanner? I'm trying to get to the release 3 and I know I have to do all the in between steps to get there...

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
You don't just press L/O 6, you do it as you are powering on. The scanners display will light up but be blank.

TAnderson

Feed Provider
Firmware Update BCD996T

Thanks RDale.
I've tried that (L/O & 6) using both the on/off switch and power plug in the back.
At all times the display screen changed to a blank "green" screen...then update failed...
Strange.

Viper43

Are you using the front serial port, the back won't work for upgrades

V

TAnderson

Feed Provider
the Front?

Viper43 - R U kidding?
I saw nothing in the instructions that stated that you have to use the front (serial port) for the upgrades...
Nothing. I can try that tomorrow.
R U serious?

TAnderson

Feed Provider
Firmware Update BCD996T

Viper43 !

That was it!!!!
I had no clue you HAD TO USE the front port on the BCD996T.
I've been using the back (DB-9) for a few years to do "everything" monitor - Proscan - Butel...
aways worked fine.
Uniden download didn't say a thing about "you have to use" the front port of the scanner for the firmware update...
After I used that front port...upgrade worked just fine....

Thanks again!

Viper43

Nope, I wasn't kidding :) Glad you got it working!

V

Viper43 !

That was it!!!!
I had no clue you HAD TO USE the front port on the BCD996T.
I've been using the back (DB-9) for a few years to do "everything" monitor - Proscan - Butel...
aways worked fine.
Uniden download didn't say a thing about "you have to use" the front port of the scanner for the firmware update...
After I used that front port...upgrade worked just fine....

Thanks again!

MJC

My bcd996t works fine via serial port with my older desktop computer. However after buying the USB-1 cable for use with Win 7 laptop, scanner does not communicate at all. Using the ARC 996 pro software.
The link above isnt valid.
Any and all help would be appreciated, as I've heard others having this issue

Marty

Status
Not open for further replies.