RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners and Receivers Forums > Uniden Forums > Uniden Owner Tech Support

Uniden Owner Tech Support For current owners to get support with their scanners from existing or past owners. If you do not own or have model experience please restrict yourself to the other sub-forums.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2014, 12:43 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPMan View Post
But, none of that would be subtle and all would be noticed by everyone, not just a few.
Thanks for the quick reply Paul, and that is true. I talked to a couple people who love their 436 and have no issues (even after the FW upgrade).
Sponsored links
Old 02-06-2014, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZScanner View Post
LOL, that's true. OK Paul, I will take a chance on this. Since I was planning on doing a video review of the unit anyway, I will run it first on factory firmware and then upgrade it to prove whether or not there's any noticeable differences in reception. I'd feel more warm and fuzzy about doing that if there was a way to revert back to the factory load though, however unsupported and featureless it may be. If I have a scanner that works great until after the firmware update, I'm going to be one unhappy camper until it's fixed. Can the existing firmware be backed up prior to updating, just in case?

-AZ

Edit: All this stuff must be making you nuts, Paul. I think we've figured out why you don't have any hair. If you end up in Phoenix sometime, let me know and I'll buy you a drink as I'm sure you could use one at this point.
Looking forward to your video review pre/post firmware upgrade.
Old 02-06-2014, 3:18 PM

Quote:
Looking to release new firmware to address some of the other reported issues within a week.
Nice to hear. I hope there is going to be some means to backup the current firmware before diving in to the new just in case!
Old 02-06-2014, 5:52 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I updated mine right out of the box. With that said, I can only compare reception to my 396 and it is doing a really nice job of receiving more P25 signal w/ more clarity on the stock antenna than the 396. I'm happy with reception performance on current firmware.
Old 02-06-2014, 6:50 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default Thanks to Everyone

When I started this thread, I originally asked what the differences were between firmware versions 1.1.01 which comes with the radio, and version 1.02.07 that results from upgrading the radio with the Sentinel program. The reply from UPMan was that the firmware update available now is the "first release" firmware, and that the factory load is missing many features and functions, and is not supported.

He did indicate that when additional updates are released they will have a documented change list. He also indicated that it is certainly possible to affect reception by firmware. The attenuation status, for example, is driven by programming. As are band filter switching and I'm sure other things. But, none of that would be subtle and all would be noticed by everyone, not just a few.

. He mentioned that there is no way to back up the firmware that is in the scanner. Factory load is bad firmware. You wouldn't be able to program DQKs, for example. Many other changes made to add and improve features. He provided that he has seen reports similar to this on almost every f/w update for every scanner, and that maybe a name for the effect...maybe FAS (Firmware Anxiety Syndrome)? Well FAS is a normal occurrence when considering the financial investment and performance expectations of the consumer.

Perhaps an influence contributing to (FAS) is that so many of us are seasoned radio scanner users who have experienced both Uniden and competitor products. So we do realize that better reception/sensitivity is possible, and recognize when it is not there. I would hope that any sensitivity problem would be a priority upgrade initiative for Uniden. Reading all of this thread has illustrated the importance of reception/sensitivity. Both of the new BCD radios do have a lot of bells and whistles. If I had to sacrifice some of them for improved reception/sensitivity it would be a serious consideration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris45 View Post
What the firmware upgrade does for the scanner?

What feature enhancement are we receiving by the upgrade?

I can appreciate UPMan saying that the upgrade does nothing bad, but what exactly is its purpose?
Sponsored links
Old 02-06-2014, 7:07 PM
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Firmware copies

You can save your current firmware by taking a blank sd card and checking for firmware updates in Sentinel then when it asks you which radio choose one and update it will be stored in a folder copy that someplace on you HD,

Looks like it may also be related to Sentinel so make a copy of the Sentinel program too. Perhaps you can then go backwards

Just a thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyC View Post
Nice to hear. I hope there is going to be some means to backup the current firmware before diving in to the new just in case!
http://W8MSP.com
E-Mail W8MSP@W8MSP.com
E-Mail detroit780@radioreference.com
Old 02-06-2014, 7:12 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Here is a video of both my BCD436HP. The one on the LEFT has firmware 1.1.01 and the one on the RIGHT on has the latest 1.02.07.

I have not seen any difference in reception.

BCD436HP - YouTube
Old 02-06-2014, 8:00 PM

Quote:
No way to back up the firmware that is in the scanner.
I think it's not true
Old 02-06-2014, 8:01 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Thanks for the video. How far are you from the tower? My 436 is working fine on the local systems, it the distant ones that the 396xt hardly picks up (but does) that the 436 isn't picking up.
Sponsored links
Old 02-06-2014, 8:54 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by K2JJS View Post
Thanks for the video. How far are you from the tower? My 436 is working fine on the local systems, it the distant ones that the 396xt hardly picks up (but does) that the 436 isn't picking up.
About 8 Miles.
Old 02-06-2014, 9:11 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Location: Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very cold.

I will be receiving my radio tomorrow. I will post a video of how it performs on our P25 radio system from hell on stock firmware, and then upgrade it and post a video of how it behaves afterwards. Hopefully that will put the speculation to rest.

I learned today that the scanner I "test drove" last weekend did indeed have the latest firmware and it was working very well on our system. I'm expecting good things tomorrow.

-AZ
Old 02-06-2014, 10:09 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

IMHO, if you can't hear a Tx (sensitivity), or you can't discriminate enough between one Tx and others (selectivity) then no amount of bells and whistles will help you.
Mobile Antennas: A/S MONR33 and A/S MON-52
Old 02-07-2014, 7:45 AM

Just did a side-by-side comparison of a 536 with factory firmware and a 536 with the latest firmware - monitoring Baltimore County's Phase I simulcast system....from a particular location that is very plagued by multi-path issues. Also tested reception of the Harford County Type II digital system. I see no discernible difference between radios in either tracking or audio quality.
Old 02-07-2014, 11:23 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I did the firmware update on my 436HP a couple days ago. Prior to the update I was receiving strong signals from two other surrounding counties using P25. Now I barely pick them up and when I do its choppy.
Any chance of getting the original firmware?
Old 02-07-2014, 11:57 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Location: Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very cold.

Sounds like the first release firmware impacts sensitivity, but not P25 capability. I'll see if I can confirm this when my radio arrives later today.

-AZ
Sponsored links
Old 02-07-2014, 3:02 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZScanner View Post
Sounds like the first release firmware impacts sensitivity, but not P25 capability. I'll see if I can confirm this when my radio arrives later today.

-AZ
It appears that this will be both interesting and useful, so thanks for being willing to check it out.
Old 02-07-2014, 3:23 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default BCD436HP firmware differences?

I updated the firmware and have NO issues with the reception listening to a Motorola Type II SmartZone Omnilink Analog and APCO-25 Common Air Interface system.
Old 02-07-2014, 4:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcainbur View Post
I updated the firmware and have NO issues with the reception listening to a Motorola Type II SmartZone Omnilink Analog and APCO-25 Common Air Interface system.
Any digital on that system?
Old 02-07-2014, 5:20 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default BCD436HP firmware differences?

Quote:
Originally Posted by whsbuss View Post
Any digital on that system?
Yes most of the talk groups are digital. I also opened up the ID search and heard some analog talk groups that sounded good as well.
Old 02-07-2014, 7:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcainbur View Post
Yes most of the talk groups are digital. I also opened up the ID search and heard some analog talk groups that sounded good as well.
Great. Did you have any multi path issues on that system on previous scanners?