BCD436HP firmware differences?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris45

What are the differences between Firmware versions 1.1.01 which comes with the radio, and version 1.02.07 that results from upgrading the radio with the Sentinel program?

Comparing the performance between two BCD436HP radios, one using 1.1.01 and the other using 1.02.07, we noticed a loss of signal sensitivity with the latest firmware. Is it possible to go backwards in performance with the firmware upgrades?

LIScanner101

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
UPMan says the firmware upgrade has no connection to a decrease in signal sensitivity.

Chris45

OK, but does anyone know...

What the firmware upgrade does for the scanner?

What feature enhancement are we receiving by the upgrade?

I can appreciate UPMan saying that the upgrade does nothing bad, but what exactly is its purpose?

UPMan says the firmware upgrade has no connection to a decrease in signal sensitivity.

FJB2022

Premium Subscriber
I have two BCD436HPs that were receiving the neighboring cities 800 P25 systems before i upgraded the firmware and now im getting zero audio. It will receive the city im currently in but the audio is choppy even when im less than 2 miles from the tower and the state VHF P25 system seems to receive fine. Kinda odd.

pratzert

Premium Subscriber
Is it possible to Downgrade the firmware if the results of the update are undesirable ?

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
Thanks ,Im glad I read this,leave the firmware alone til they fix it.

Same here. Unless I can find a way to back up the existing firmware first, I'm not touching it. The 436 I "test drove" last weekend was running (as far as I know) the original firmware and was working almost flawlessly on our DTRS. I'm not gonna fix what ain't broke. ;)

Thanks all, for the heads up on this.
-AZ

whsbuss

I'm surprised that no where (that I can find) Uniden did not post a change/fix list on the latest firmware.

KC2JS

Feed Provider
So we can confirm that it is the firmware that is causing the reception issue? I updated mine prior to listening to it so I can't compare it. I am considering returning the scanner because of the performance I am seeing. If this could be something that will be fixed in the firmware, I will hold off. The only other complaint I have is that the audio seems low. I have to have my volume set to 10 to be able to hear it in a quiet room. I think this may have something to due with the reception issue, trying to pick out the voice over the static.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
The firmware update available now is the "first release" firmware. The factory load is missing many features and functions, and is not supported. When we release additional updates, they will have a documented change list.

pratzert

Premium Subscriber
I know UPMan instructs that the first thing to do is update the firmware, but if it is compromising the reception, I won't be updating until I see a new update with the change-log AND get reports of how it may, or may not, change the performance of the 436.

RF23

Premium Subscriber
I have two BCD436HPs that were receiving the neighboring cities 800 P25 systems before i upgraded the firmware and now im getting zero audio. It will receive the city im currently in but the audio is choppy even when im less than 2 miles from the tower and the state VHF P25 system seems to receive fine. Kinda odd.

Considering what UPMan said and I am not seeing a large number of people complaining of this problem (yet) and most if not all have upgraded their firmware, you might want to trouble shoot with us how you have your 436HPs programed, maybe we can get them back to working as before. This of course assumes that conditions have not temporarily changed or there are not some temporary technical problems with the system(s) you are trying to monitor.

Two other problems most people were blaming on the radios (slow scan rate (how you program the radio can really affect this and cutting off the first of transmissions (CTCSS tone searching problem) may have been solved, at least for many. However, some people may have a bad radio or a system(s) that the radio does have problems with and I am sure UPMan wants to know of any problem we have.

However, I for one appreciate people sharing their problems because as we now know they may be the kind of problem that only Uniden can address, who knows this might be another one.

LIScanner101

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
slow scan rate (how you program the radio can really affect this and cutting off the first of transmissions (CTCSS tone searching problem)).

Is this how ALL Unidens work? I have a BCT15X and if I program a conventional channel’s tone as “SEARCH”, listen to reception performance, then program the corresponding tone (if one exists) and then listen AGAIN to reception performance, I see no difference. The scanner doesn’t cut-off the beginning of the conversation either way. Or are you saying that this is only how the x36HPs’ work?

AZScanner

The firmware update available now is the "first release" firmware. The factory load is missing many features and functions, and is not supported. When we release additional updates, they will have a documented change list.

Yikes. So it's either live with missing features and functions but better reception or load the additional features and functions which degrades the reception? What a choice to have to make.

I can live without bells and whistles if it means I will have a scanner that WORKS. I absolutely need P25 performance to be at it's best with this radio. I understand that the stock firmware is unsupported but I'm holding off on the upgrade for now until this is fixed or confirmed as not related to firmware.

-AZ

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
We have not been able to verify or duplicate any degradation of reception between the factory and current firmware.

FWIW, I see reports similar to this on almost every f/w update for every scanner. There is probably a name for the effect...maybe FAS (Firmware Anxiety Syndrome)?

KC2JS

Feed Provider
Paul - Can you confirm that a firmware upgrade can degrade reception or not? On my post you said "and the update couldn't have done that" so I am thinking it is not FW related. My issue is poor reception on analog channels. Could it just be that the 436 is not as sensitive as the 396xt?

AZScanner

We have not been able to verify or duplicate any degradation of reception between the factory and current firmware.

FWIW, I see reports similar to this on almost every f/w update for every scanner. There is probably a name for the effect...maybe FAS (Firmware Anxiety Syndrome)?

LOL, that's true. OK Paul, I will take a chance on this. Since I was planning on doing a video review of the unit anyway, I will run it first on factory firmware and then upgrade it to prove whether or not there's any noticeable differences in reception. I'd feel more warm and fuzzy about doing that if there was a way to revert back to the factory load though, however unsupported and featureless it may be. If I have a scanner that works great until after the firmware update, I'm going to be one unhappy camper until it's fixed. Can the existing firmware be backed up prior to updating, just in case?

-AZ

Edit: All this stuff must be making you nuts, Paul. I think we've figured out why you don't have any hair. ;) If you end up in Phoenix sometime, let me know and I'll buy you a drink as I'm sure you could use one at this point.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
It is certainly possible to affect reception by firmware. The attenuation status, for example, is driven by programming. As are band filter switching and I'm sure other things. But, none of that would be subtle and all would be noticed by everyone, not just a few.

No way to back up the firmware that is in the scanner. Factory load is bad firmware. You wouldn't be able to program DQKs, for example. Many other changes made to add and improve features.

Looking to release new firmware to address some of the other reported issues within a week.

AZScanner

It is certainly possible to affect reception by firmware. The attenuation status, for example, is driven by programming. As are band filter switching and I'm sure other things. But, none of that would be subtle and all would be noticed by everyone, not just a few.

No way to back up the firmware that is in the scanner. Factory load is bad firmware. You wouldn't be able to program DQKs, for example. Many other changes made to add and improve features.

Looking to release new firmware to address some of the other reported issues within a week.

Fair enough. As I said, if you're ever in town let me know and the first drink is on me. You've earned it, sir. :)

-AZ

Status
Not open for further replies.