RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners and Receivers Forums > Uniden Forums > Uniden Owner Tech Support

Uniden Owner Tech Support For current owners to get support with their scanners from existing or past owners. If you do not own or have model experience please restrict yourself to the other sub-forums.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-05-2014, 10:20 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default Home Patrol Not Picking Up Local PD

I am a new owner of a Uniden Home Patrol scanner and I have a question. I live in a small town and I can see the local PD tower from where I live but I can't pick it up with scanner. The freq is programmed in it correctly but it will not pick it up. I can pick everything else up in my county but not local PD. I have other uniden scanners and vertex radios and they pick it up great. I am just wondering if there is something that I am missing. Any help would be great. Oh and it's an analog freq if you was wondering. Thanks
Sponsored links
Old 03-05-2014, 10:53 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Its possible they switched frequencies, or went to a digital system. You didnt mention which department, or where you live, so no one will be able to figure it out for you.
Old 03-06-2014, 12:14 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

On my HP I could not pick up the local Sheriff, until I read what another user did(here on Radio Ref). Switched the modulation from NFM to FM.
Old 03-06-2014, 5:58 AM

Point us to the RRDB link of your system.

We need to know what we are working with to help you further.

Make sure you have the service types selected. Make sure you have the correct frequencies in the unit.

Give a little more information to what you did to create the FL and how you programmed the scanner.
Old 03-06-2014, 6:05 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Your post leaves a lot of missing information.

Please provide the following:
Where you are located, and EXACTLY what you would like to listen to., county, local info (zip code), and the EXACT descriptions of the agencies you would like to monitor that you are not receiving.

Just to confirm you have the latest database in your Home Patrol: From the main screen on the Home Patrol, select MENU --> ADVANCED MENU --> scroll down arrow --> VERSION INFORMATION What does it say there for the date of the database?

Also confirm you have the correct service types on.
Sponsored links
Old 03-06-2014, 7:09 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Sorry about that. The freq that I am trying to pick up is under Kansas, Jackson county, and Holton PD dispatch. I have the one that radio reference says to use. I can see it in my scanner and it's not voided or anything so it should pick it up. And like I said they didn't switch freq or go digital because I still pick it up with my other scanners. If you need anymore info please let me know. Thanks Oh and I programmed it by just putting in my zip code then avoiding the stuff I don't want to listen too.
Old 03-06-2014, 7:11 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Zip code is 66436 and it's Holton PD. My database says 2-23-14 updated
Old 03-06-2014, 10:16 AM

Check the Service Type, you may want to enable ALL the Service Types for now, also check your Range/Distance setting and configure for maximum for now.

Also you may be looking at a legacy tower, many sites have moved or consolidated.
Old 03-07-2014, 12:38 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I tried selecting all services and setting my range to max but I still didn't have any luck. I got the correct freq in my scanner but when I even stop on it I can't get it to pick it up. The way I test it is that I have an actual police radio and when I key it up my home patrol does nothing. Does anybody else have any other ideas to try? Thanks
Sponsored links
Old 03-07-2014, 12:59 PM

So, in Sentinel you have what I have pictured?

What is the model of the radio you are using to test with?

In the edit profile area you do have the monitor option selected to on correct?

I just do not know what to say if the frequency is correct along with the tone and also modulation settings.

You say you can hear it on other scanners. Maybe you have a different frequency step programmed into the HP somehow?
Attached Images

Old 03-07-2014, 6:04 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

yep everything looks just like what your showing. I am using a Vertex VX-800V and I pick it up perfect with that and also my other uniden scanners but not the home patrol.
Old 03-07-2014, 10:13 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

You might check your entry to be sure you didn't "fat-finger" either the frequency or the tone. You might also remove the tone (you don't need it unless you are trying to separate more than one user on the same frequency). Does the scanner pick up other frequencies ok?
BB