RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners and Receivers Forums > Uniden Forums > Uniden Owner Tech Support

Uniden Owner Tech Support For current owners to get support with their scanners from existing or past owners. If you do not own or have model experience please restrict yourself to the other sub-forums.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-02-2014, 8:33 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaesumofo View Post
IMHO there is absolutely ZERO need to have any dust on the screen, under the lens, or anywhere INSIDE this radio.
Despite that MINE which is relatively new (aren't they all at this point) is full of DUST and looks like hell.

This does upset me.
Most amateur gear is built to some sort of standard which keeps stuff like splashes of water and dust out of radios and phones.
BUT not Uniden scanners.
This is a major CUT CORNER, just like the plastic belt clip button.

Anyway the radio works great. the screen is looking worse and worse.
Sooo what are the options. After opening the radio to blow the dust out then what? Wouldn't that void my warranty?
Uniden could offer a case. That might help a bit.
they could design the case so there is some form of dust ingress protection. They have no problem using EPOXY... why not slather some around the display assemble sealing the whole component from the elements.

So what are my options?

The image is SIDE LIT this actually enhances how the dust is lit under certain lighting conditions. Taken in a car. This image looks WORSE than the actual problem 95% of the time. I have no doubt that anybody who uses this scanner OUTSIDE a lot or in dusty environments will suffer the same Problem.

It does NOT look like this all the time. It the radio is used in the sun this kind of dust "glare" can certainly impact he ability to read the screen.

There is a screen protector on the screen the dust uoi see is UNDER the plastic window, in fact there are several surfaces which are visible under the window with dust on them.
The radio has not spent its life out doors. it lives at home or in a car. Neither one is particularly a dusty space. this is just "normal use dust.

I like to know what Uniden thinks of this issue. Which WILL effect every end user who does not live in a clean room.

Yaesumofo

My BC 396XT is doing the Same thing.! It's do to static on your Lens of your BCD436 it can get real statically when you remove the shipping protector that protects the lens) It's Like Cheese to Mouse one way you might combat it) If you got the case open or if you have to open it again Take a Soft cloth Damped with A plastic Glass cleaner Like what you'd use to clean your Eye glasses)

You'll want to apply it on the inside and the outer side of the Plastic on the scanner it should help keep the Dust and the Lint from attracting to it you might still get some on it, but not as bad,

As I mentioned my 396Xt is doing the same thing I put a Product called PRO-TeK on the outside of my 396 you can find this product at your Favorite eye Glass shop or look for a Eye Care practitioner that might sell the product, Protek is Distributed by NELCO, INC out of Fargo ND

Additional Info.. When i clean my Scanners Lenses, My Phone's glass panel and my Eye Glasses I use a Rags designed for the Task, I look for rags made by Hoya or Companies that makes and sells Eye Care products, the Reason for using these rags they help reduce static and are Very Soft in there Nature I keep on hand Quite a few you can Launder these Rags but it's a idea to hold off using any Softner in you wash or Dryer..

Hope this Helps.. Bear

Last edited by bear780ks; 05-02-2014 at 8:55 PM..
Sponsored links
Old 05-04-2014, 2:16 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

I have bought it six months ago and it does have dust it
Old 05-04-2014, 3:47 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I would return that scanner ASAP. Unacceptable. Wow.
Icom 718 // Baofeng UV-5R+ // Yaesu FT-2900R // Yaesu FT-7900R
Old 05-21-2014, 11:50 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

After reading these posts and checked my 436HP, some minor dust under the lens. I researched the internet and with Radio Shack and some larger electronic part houses to see if anyone offered a plug to go into the speaker jack. No luck. Than I went to old faithful, E-Bay. Search
< Rubber Anti Dust Earphone Jack Plug Stopper Cap For All Cellphone 3.5mm> - Seller: (seattle 2003) - These plugs are made of rubber. I thought there may be an issue with the internal speaker cut out by putting the plug in the earphone jack, no problem with that. If you want to use the earphone jack, there is a small hole at the top of the plug, and a pin would work to remove it.
This worked for me!
Old 05-21-2014, 11:52 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default BCD436HP screen DUST!!!

I have like 80 of them on hand. I use them on my audio equipment

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Sponsored links

Old 05-31-2014, 4:10 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default No Dust on 436HP

I bit the bullet and removed the six screws and cleaned front display screen. Now, dust free for a week and a half. Added a rubber phone plug and seems to have fixed the dust situation!
Old 06-02-2014, 12:42 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Thumbs up Black Electrical Tape works keenly

On my 396 I used a piece of Black Electrical Tape, I sized it to fit the area and bent one end over so if I needed to remove it, It's worked fine and has been on my 396 for the last 3 months Bear