RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners and Receivers Forums > Uniden Forums > Uniden Owner Tech Support

Uniden Owner Tech Support For current owners to get support with their scanners from existing or past owners. If you do not own or have model experience please restrict yourself to the other sub-forums.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-06-2014, 7:39 AM

Default 396xt volume

Does anyone know why I cant hear my 396xt. If I plug in the head phones I can hear it but when I take them out there is no sound.
Sponsored links
Old 04-06-2014, 9:49 AM

Default 396xt volume

The headphone jack could have gone bad, but more likely the speaker is blown and needs replacement. Over the years, there's been a few reports of the 396T and 396XT blowing its speaker.
Old 04-06-2014, 9:49 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default jack

many have complained about the headphone jack not making good contact with the plug out. my 396t has just cut out by itself after using the jack, and my girlfriends 396xt has done it a couple of times. the simple way to fix it is to insert the plug a couple of times until it makes contact. you could send it in to be fixed for around 50 or 60 dollars.
Old 04-06-2014, 10:09 AM

Thanks for the replies. I pulled the batteries out and it is working.
Old 04-06-2014, 8:18 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default jack then

since it works again it was not the speaker. mine would go out a lot but it was in my pocket everyday at a lumber yard for about 3 years. sawdust blowing sand and all.the headphone jack works by disconnecting a metal spring when you push in a plug and the sound goes to the plug, when you pull it out it should make contact in the plug but anything in the way (even dust) or corrosion or just a bad contact point and the speaker will not work.
if it happens again just inset the jack and pull it out a couple of times and see what happens
now get back to the radio and enjoy.
Sponsored links