996XT front USB connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

bep

Premium Subscriber
Using the remote head on my 996XT and it seems the mini USB (if that is the correct name) on the main radio is not allowing me to plug in the cable. Swapped out and tried my BCT15 and the plug goes in and the remote head works as it should.

Not sure what has taken place to cause this.

Can the rear serial plug be used somehow? Any other options other than sending it to Uniden?
FYI what is the turn around time for Uniden repairs?

Thanks

bama9999

There are four little pins inside the mini usb on the front of the radio. Perhaps one of those is bent? On my BCT15X, the far left pin got pushed too far in somehow and wouldn't make connection, so I couldn't use the radio remotely or update programming via the computer. I was able to get ahold of the pin and pull it back out to where it was supposed to be, and it's worked fine ever since. Maybe it's something like that?

bep

Premium Subscriber
Thanks, will get a magnifying glass and take a look. The bent idea might be the thing. What do I have to lose?

garys

Premium Subscriber
Somewhere on the forum is a thread with the pin outs to make a cable for the rear serial port. I remember seeing it, but didn't pay much attention to it.

I'd suspect a bent pin on your 996XT, which might or might not be an easy fix.

bep

Premium Subscriber
Thanks, and that is why I questioned it in my first post. Found a work-around utilizing a null modem cable and use the rear port for the remote head. I understand that firmware updates must utilize the front port, but until there is an update and/or money presents itself I will deal with that when it happens.

firerick100

Premium Subscriber
Thanks, and that is why I questioned it in my first post. Found a work-around utilizing a null modem cable and use the rear port for the remote head. I understand that firmware updates must utilize the front port, but until there is an update and/or money presents itself I will deal with that when it happens.

My 996xt front port is also broke so I did the same as you, I had to buy a different cord that had to plug into the remote head and the back port of the scanner along with a null modem adapter and I also bought a separate cord to program the scanner from my computer.

bep

Premium Subscriber
Firerick100, I failed to give you credit for my fix. Searched the forum and your posts came up concerning the same issue.
Will start to look for an electronics place that can replace the front port.

Thanks again

Last edited:

kruser

Premium Subscriber

There was an eBay seller that sold a mating connector on a cable about a foot long. I don't recall what the connector is called but the cables the guy sold had the Uniden style plug on one end and an A male USB on the other. So it seems the connector was really intended for USB in its original design.
I bought a bunch of them from the eBay guy for like a buck each and just cut off the USB ends and wired them to 1/8th inch stereo jacks or DB9's so I could use the remote heads from the front port if needed.

Later, I added a stereo jack on the rear of all my 996 models as I hate cables sticking out the front. I left the front port wired so I could use it if the radio was mounted. Of course you could not use the new rear port and the front port at the same time.

I did the same with my GRE models and their front PC/IF jacks.

I wish Uniden would have duplicated the front USB jack onto the rear chassis for the 536HP models. Then you could just leave a short USB extension plugged into the rear jack for programming changes and updates. That would also be easy to do but not worth voiding the 3 year warranty as who knows what other problems may surface with the new x36HP models.
I use the rear GPS port for logging and monitoring but you can't use it for programming. That at least keeps the front cable out of the way until I need it.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
Firerick100, I failed to give you credit for my fix. Searched the forum and your posts came up concerning the same issue.
Will start to look for an electronics place that can replace the front port.

Thanks again

It's not all that hard to identify the solder points on the board where the front jack attaches. Then you just need a short shielded cable to run to a 1/8th inch stereo jack mounted on the rear of the radio. Then build a stereo plug to DB9 for programming or you can plug the remote head directly into the new stereo jack on the rear. Being serial, you can make remote head extension cables a few hundred feet long but use shielded cable.
Of course this may not work if your radio is mounted in a vehicle or the rear is not easily accessible.
I did that but still needed audio so I used some 900 MHz wireless speakers which ended up working very well!

You do need decent soldering skills as the tap points for the front jack are relatively small on the board they are located.

bep

Premium Subscriber
You sound just like me, I hate….really hate having cables sticking out the front of the radios. I have to live with the Pro97 and the programming cable, but the two BCT15's are all wired behind.
Now all I have to do, for my vehicle install, is find screws long enough to keep the remote head cable, null modem adaptor and radio tight together.

bep

Premium Subscriber
These old hands aren't good for soldering, plus I was never that good from the start. I am sure I can find someone local, just have to start looking.

firerick100

Premium Subscriber
It's all good, I'd go with sending it to uniden to fix it so you know it was done right I'm going to when I get a chance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.