Uniden Should Explore New Firmware Strategies

Status
Not open for further replies.

MStep

Having installed the newer 2.05 firmware into my HP-1, I found that I was happier and ultimately rolled back two versions to 2.03.

(See http://forums.radioreference.com/uniden-owner-tech-support/291264-hp-1-firmware-2-05-03-a.html)

There were some advantages of the newer 2.05, but not insofar as P25 reception was concerned--- in fact, to my ears, 2.03 sounds, and seems to work, more smoothly that either 2.05 or 2.04. Unfortunately, I don't have any objective way to measure the differences in performance, and Uniden does not provide much information about changes in each upgrade regarding P25, most likely for proprietary reasons.

That having been said, it might be time for Uniden to rethink its firmware update strategies (at least for future products) and begin offering "a la carte" upgrades rather than packages that include both P25 and feature upgrades rolled into one distribution.

In 2.05 for example, I would have liked to keep the enhanced attenuation enunciation feature without having been required to take the upgraded P25 function, which did not work out for me. Perhaps sometime in the future, Uniden can allow users to pick and choose the feature packages they want to install without affecting other functions in the scanner.

Just a thought I wanted to share.

Blackink

That might be a good idea.
Similar to the options when installing new software on your PC: you can choose the "Recommended Installation (which usually installs the whole program with ALL the features)" or the "Custom Installation"-hence you can pick and choose what you want installed on your PC.

Now whether this can be done via a Firmware Upgrade or not...........?

phask

Premium Subscriber
Regarding the lastest HP1 firmware - It does nothing - nothiing at all for me except Motorola systems have a 4'sec delay

I'm smart enough to know when GPS is on or ATTN. I had to roll it back.

This is the first time ever that I have had to. I really would like to be able to use the discovery, but will not give to get one. That update - needs an update.

However - I don't see it being ever offered, way to many "stupid" users that could not handle it.

bs369

HP-1 upgrades

Here in Delaware's Public safety P-25 the last two upgrades (.04, .05) definitely helped the readability to 99%. Prior to the upgrades using the HP-1 on DE's trunk was almost unreadable at my location. (On County line between Sussex and Kent Counties) In fact, I put it on the shelf and only used while traveling...

Status
Not open for further replies.