Custom Search Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
I have had my 536HP and 436HP for about 4 months but now for the first time decided to use custom search on the 536HP to search a range of frequencies. Went to custom 0, set 480.000 as lower, 490.000 as upper, set modulation to "auto," set step to 12.5 Khz. However, as I watch my FunCube dongle with SDR show the usual LA Police and LA Sheriff frequencies coming up, the 536HP is not stopping on any of the frequencies. If I press channel hold, and manually scroll through the frequenices in 12.5 Khz steps, clearly stations are coming through, but when search, scanner does not stop on any frequency.
Repeated this for several other custom search ranges 1 to 5 with different ranges, and same thing. Scanner will not stop on any frequency during search. Attenuator off, antenna connection is fine. When go back to usual scanning of FLs, including LAPD and LASD, no problem.
Anyone have any idea what I am doing wrong.
Thanks

Steve AA6IO

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
Just as a further note, I am running my 996XT together with 536HP using same antenna with MCA204M multicoupler. The 996XT custom search set up exactly same way, and it is working fine. Stopping on all frequencies with traffic.
Thanks
Steve

JamesO

I am just guessing, have not tried this with my x36HP units yet.

There may be something going on with linking the Database or Service Types??

I understand in "Discovery" mode there is some tie in to the Database that can be turned off and on. Depending on the Database link in Discovery mode, items in the database will be ignored. Not sure if the Custom Search has a similiar tie in to the Database or Service Type?

The thing about these scanners is there is a lot of software filtering that happens and can limit what the scanner can monitor. If the software filtering is enabled, it can cause some confusion when the scanner misses traffic.

I am sure others can chime in and we can all learn something new regarding Custom Searches

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
James,
I read my scanner into Sentinel and checked the custom search in my profile. All appeared normal to me. There was nothing about database on/off and nowhere in the custom search was there any settings for service type. Anyway, hope somebody has an answer. Perhaps someone can try their own custom search and see what happens. I have two 536HPs, and the same problem is occurring on both.
Steve

JamesO

I have both a 436HP and 536HP. Have not really tried to use this feature yet.

Might suggest to configure for NOAA or FM band and start playing with things to see if you can get it to function. This way you know a signal should be present.

Usually I find if a feature does not work correctly, often it is a config/programming error (not on your part) that is 180 opposite of what a setting may be, Off should be On or Yes should be No.

If I have time, might play with my search and see what happens.

JamesO

Configured my Custom Search 1 to NOAA band on my 436HP and everything seemed to work as expected. I also ran the search for a number of other bands and I am picking up Analog and Digital signals no problem along with trunking control channels.

I have not set up another radio to compare if I am missing any traffic, however, at first run it appears my 436HP is working as expected.

Just tired my 536HP and it appears to work as well.

How are you entering the Custom Search and are you turning on and off Search selections? 0-9 are like Search banks.

Last edited:

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
James
Configured my 536HP for custom search 1 on NOAA band between 162.000 and 162.600 to cover all 4 NOAA stations that I can hear here. All stations were loud and clear when tuned to individual frequency, and with custom search, when set to channel hold, then scrolled, also loud and clear. But again, when released channel hold, back to search mode, the scanner just goes by all the NOAA channels and does not stop. Really stranage behavior. If you have a chance, try your 536HP with same thing and see what happens. Will be out most of day, but will check thread later in afternoon.
Regards
Steve

XTS3000

I have had my 536HP and 436HP for about 4 months but now for the first time decided to use custom search on the 536HP to search a range of frequencies. Went to custom 0, set 480.000 as lower, 490.000 as upper, set modulation to "auto," set step to 12.5 Khz. However, as I watch my FunCube dongle with SDR show the usual LA Police and LA Sheriff frequencies coming up, the 536HP is not stopping on any of the frequencies. If I press channel hold, and manually scroll through the frequenices in 12.5 Khz steps, clearly stations are coming through, but when search, scanner does not stop on any frequency.
Repeated this for several other custom search ranges 1 to 5 with different ranges, and same thing. Scanner will not stop on any frequency during search. Attenuator off, antenna connection is fine. When go back to usual scanning of FLs, including LAPD and LASD, no problem.
Anyone have any idea what I am doing wrong.
Thanks

Steve AA6IO

I don't think your doing anything wrong, I'm experiencing the same thing only in the UHF range- 440-470mhz. Weird.

My 396XT will stop on signals and static/spurs in the UHF range, but the 436 just scans never stopping on anything. I did get the 436 to stop on one data signal, but only when I switched to FM.

Looking more into this...

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
Just figured it out. Had to go to Srch/CloCall Opt, then to Broadcast Screen.
There I had Set All Band On. Changed to Set All Band Off. Now everthing works fine.
These are really difficult scanners to figure out. Feel like I need a graduate degree in scanning with a specialty in x36HPs. Anyway, problem resolved. Make sure Broadcast Band set to "all band off" or "set each band," but not "Set all band on."
Thanks
Steve AA6IO

XTS3000

Just figured it out. Had to go to Srch/CloCall Opt, then to Broadcast Screen.
There I had Set All Band On. Changed to Set All Band Off. Now everthing works fine.
These are really difficult scanners to figure out. Feel like I need a graduate degree in scanning with a specialty in x36HPs. Anyway, problem resolved. Make sure Broadcast Band set to "all band off" or "set each band," but not "Set all band on."
Thanks
Steve AA6IO

Excellent find Steve.

One thing, the setting to hear everything should be set to "set all bands on". Looks like ya reversed what's in quotes above in your post.

I just threw the 396XT and 436HP on a service monitor. After this problem, I was expecting the 436HP would be less sensitive, on UHF, than the 396XT. To my joy and surprise, both radios performed almost identical in sensitivity. The 436 was about 1db less sensitive than the 396XT on 460.025mhz. The squelch 'action' seems to very close between both models with respect to opening and closing squelch for a given signal.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
"Set All Bands On" will turn on all band screens, resulting in hits in all programmed serves or segments being ignored. "Set All Bands Off" turns off all band filters.

XTS3000

"Set All Bands On" will turn on all band screens, resulting in hits in all programmed serves or segments being ignored. "Set All Bands Off" turns off all band filters.

My bad, Upman is CORRECT as always. I stand corrected.

Please IGNORE the second paragraph in post #10 of this thread, it is incorrect!

Is there a table of the band screen frequencies for:
Pager
FM (I think we can figure this one out)
UHF TV
VHF TV
NOAA WX (7 or 10 stations?)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.