BCD996XT Enabling/Disabling Group Quick-keys

Status
Not open for further replies.

W2IRT

Hi all,
Is there a fast way to enable or disable group quick keys? Here's the situation.

System QK1 is for my local area's conventional systems (Five small townships in NJ, each with one or two PD and one or two FD channels). GQK 1 is police, GQK 2 is fire and EMS, but GQK 3 is for towns that are just a little bit further away, and that I don't always drive into, nor am I interested in hearing them until I'm about to go there.

I have about 20 different system QKs set up for different counties/agencies, and when I'm in my home region I usually have 4 enabled -- SQK 1 for local conventional, SQK 2 for my next town over on the statewide NJICS 700 MHz trunked system (Fairfield, NJ), SQK 3 for the next town over in the other direction on an EDACS system (Verona, NJ) and SQK 4 for the NJ state police 4-COMM talkgroup. This covers patrol for every place I routinely drive through.

With all four of these SQKs enabled and scanning, how can I QUICKLY and EASILY turn on or off GQK-3 (towns of Little Falls, Totawa and Wayne) in SQK-1 (Local/Conventional)?

captclint

Mentor
Basically, there is a moderately easy way, and then a not so easy way.
To toggle a Group quick key on or off while scanning the system, quickly press Func then press the number key assigned to the group.

To toggle Group quick keys on or off in another system press and hold Func to 'lock' Function mode. Scroll to the (enabled) system that contains the (enabled) group you want to turn on/off then press the corresponding number key(s). Press Func twice to 'unlock' Function mode and resume.

JoeyC

You have 100 SQKs available. You stated that you are only using 20 of them. I would put the group of freqs in question into its own system with its own unique SQK separating it from your SQK 1 altogether.

W2IRT

You have 100 SQKs available. You stated that you are only using 20 of them. I would put the group of freqs in question into its own system with its own unique SQK separating it from your SQK 1 altogether.

Yeah, I think this is what I'll have to do. With 0-9 already used, it's still a bit of button-pushing (three tiny buttons to push while driving), but better than the convoluted process of hold, scroll (while looking at a display), etc.

What' I've been doing now is disable the other currently-enabled SQKs, function-3 to enable the desired group, then re-enable the others. All are single-keypress system QKs. So, 2-3-4-HOLD-FUNC-3-2-3-4-SCAN. Just making another SQK sounds a bit easier--bit will entail renumbering SQKs to make the transition logical.

Status
Not open for further replies.