RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners and Receivers Forums > Uniden Forums > Uniden Owner Tech Support

Uniden Owner Tech Support For current owners to get support with their scanners from existing or past owners. If you do not own or have model experience please restrict yourself to the other sub-forums.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-11-2014, 11:44 PM

Question Uniden HomePatrol "Range issues"

Hello RR.I'm a newbie at this Uniden Product called the Homepatrol-1 with upgrades. Is there a way to extend the range setting to 50 miles or more for the Uniden HomePatrol-1 Extreme? Because am having a difficult time trying to receive the Palmetto (Project 25) towers that are 40+ miles away to pick up the signal my location is Cross,SC trying to receive signals in Goose Creek,SC,Charleston,SC which are 40+ miles from my location.Also any tips for pre amps,coax cable,and antenna type for my area?
Sponsored links
Old 06-11-2014, 11:58 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

You can try changing your location in the scanner to indicate that you're closer to Palmetto towers than you actually are, so the scanner will open up that system. Now for actually receiving anything, that totally depends on a lot of things. You might get a roof antenna, I'm sure that'll help reception considerably. As far as I know, the distance setting on the HP-1 is maxed out at 30 miles, but that is not absolute... it'll open up a lot more agencies on the scanner to be "received" IF you're with in receiving distance.
Old 06-12-2014, 10:14 PM

i am having problems getting any P25 chatter in .. 2 towns near me are P25 and i get zero on them even when I am in that town ... I have newest updates and programing.. everything set correctly .. i assume...
I am getting county and basically every other kind of chatter except any P25 system... i wonder is there is an issue here? or if its our user error? some programing that I and maybe you don't have correct to allow us to hear these P25 systems? That is the main reason I spent the extra money and went with this scanner .. to get the P25 system .. so far i can't get a P25 system in...
Old 06-13-2014, 9:01 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Exclamation How about 200 miles?

The formula for range based on elevation is simple high school geometry:

R-squared (the radius of the earth) plus r-squared (the range) equals quantity (R+H)-squared (where "H" is the height above the earth. Solving for r (the range):

range = square-root of (2HR + H-squared)

Since normally "H" is insignificant compared to 2R, we can ignore the "H-squared" term.

So range = square-root of (2HR)

All variables are in miles, and in case you've forgotten, R (the radius of the earth) is about 4000 miles.

So, for an elevation of two miles, the range is about 125 miles.

If you want to listen to airline traffic, that's usually up there about 7 miles, and for that the range is about 235 miles.

Of course, if you happen to be in another airplane at (say) 10,000 feet, then the range to hear airliners (all other things being equal, which they are not) is the sum of the two examples above, or about 360 miles.

I say all this because as a pilot, I think the 50-mile limit is WOEFULLY inadequate. A 200 mile limit would be adequate for ground-based stations.
Old 06-13-2014, 9:35 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by AE7Q View Post
I say all this because as a pilot, I think the 50-mile limit is WOEFULLY inadequate. A 200 mile limit would be adequate for ground-based stations.
Create a favorites list, set the "Location Control" to "NO" for unlimited range limit on those frequencies.

For a better understanding of Home Patrol's range settings, check here:

How it Works: Location, Location, Location

Sponsored links
Old 06-13-2014, 11:00 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Home on the range ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxdscon View Post
Create a favorites list, set the "Location Control" to "NO" for unlimited range limit on those frequencies.

For a better understanding of Home Patrol's range settings, check here:

How it Works: Location, Location, Location

That's a work-around. With the BCD996XT and FreeScan, I reset all the ATC frequencies to have a range of 125 miles (the max, as I recall). With the BCD536HP and Sentinel, I'm setting all the tower ranges to 100 miles, the approach/departure ranges to 150, and the ARTCC ranges to 200. However, I've only had the BCD536HP for a day, so I'm not sure if those values will "take".

Of course you are correct; the "home" range (more correctly called "Error Of Position") doesn't need to have that range of values. In fact, the documentation would be best served by using different terms for the two values.
Old 06-14-2014, 4:58 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Unless they are part of another f. list - whey have location on for them? (unless mobile)

I've seen range > 400 in the database.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AE7Q View Post
That's a work-around. With the BCD996XT and FreeScan, I reset all the ATC frequencies to have a range of 125 miles (the max, as I recall). With the BCD536HP and Sentinel, I'm setting all the tower ranges to 100 miles, the approach/departure ranges to 150, and the ARTCC ranges to 200. However, I've only had the BCD536HP for a day, so I'm not sure if those values will "take".

Of course you are correct; the "home" range (more correctly called "Error Of Position") doesn't need to have that range of values. In fact, the documentation would be best served by using different terms for the two values.
Old 06-14-2014, 6:24 AM
Uniden Representative
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Max range setting is 6000 miles.
Old 06-14-2014, 6:46 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPMan View Post
Max range setting is 6000 miles.

That should cover it
Sponsored links
Old 06-14-2014, 7:26 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I really can't speak for the Home Patrol but the range setting on the 996T is for use with a GPS. It will enable scanning of that system any time you're within the range you have set for that system. You also have to enter the coordinates of the base/repeater, the GPS gives the scanner its current location. The scanner then computes the distance to the base/repeater and enables that system if you are within the programed range setting. The range setting will have no effect on the scanner without a GPS input.
Old 06-14-2014, 7:36 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

"Also any tips for pre amps,coax cable,and antenna type for my area?"
Scanner Antennas - The RadioReference Wiki
Homebrewed Off-Center Fed Dipole - The RadioReference Wiki
Antennas and Associated Hardware - The RadioReference.com Forums

Tags
range issue, uniden home patrol