Alternate GPS for BCD536HP

Status
Not open for further replies.

I_am_Alpha1

I was wondering if anyone has tried using a Garmin Emap or Etrex as a GPS receiver on their BCD536HP. It should work looking at the specs, but in real life sometimes it just doesn't go the way it should.

AC0RV

Feed Provider
I have used the garmin etrex legend wih the 396xt and plan on using with the 436hp as well.

I_am_Alpha1

I sold an Emap with a powered cable just a few years ago--everytime I get rid of something, I end up needing it later. Just ordered one from e-bay with a screen that has missing lines and a powered cable and gender changer.

I sent this guy a message asking him to break up his lot--wish he would, lots of us want this, but not 100 of them:

Lot of 100 Garmin GPS 18 PC GPS Receiver Module Used Working | eBay

Send him a message, maybe if he gets enough offers, he'll sell them for $25 with free shipping. It looks like he's been trying to sell them for 1 1/2 years.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I've used the Garmin eTrex Legend on a 396T, 996T, 996XT and 396XT with excellent results. The requirements for GPS devices for those scanners (cables/NEMA and baud rate output) are the same for the 536. So you should expect the same results with your 536 and an eTrex Legend.

I ended up getting a 12 volt power cable with rechargeable batteries for my eTrex Legend as I was going through AA batteries way too fast.

For what its worth, I have since migrated to the Uniden GPS device for my 536. It's less obvious, thus a deterrent to thievery. Since I use GPS for solely scanning, it does the job. But if you would also use a GPS device for outdoor activities (camping, hiking, hunting) a portable device is a great choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.