BCD996XT blank screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darkstar350

hey all

having a bit of a problem with a bcd996xt
what happened was I was programming it with freescan and I noticed it pretty much made duplicates of all the systems in the scanner so I tried to correct it then the screen seemed frozen with the "keypad lock" screen stayed like that for several minutes then the screen went blank with just a low clicking noise coming out
now that is all its doing when I turn it on and it is not communicating with the usb cable

I searched around looking for some ways to do somewhat of a factory reset by holding down some keys(I think it was the 2 and 9 keys also something else with the lockout button)
I tryed them and nothing worked

Now in regards to the making duplicates of the systems it has done this before recently but it seemed to correct itself
Also using the freescan lately it seemed to be changing some things randomly(ex. it changed the screen color for no apparent reason)when I didn't touch anything else all I would do is just add new systems using the software

Anyone have any idea whats going on here? Is this some sort of bug with the scanner in particular or the programming software?

thanks

oh by the way yes the usb programming cable I did purchase directly from uniden because I did read something about other brand cables possibly causing some problems

Last edited:

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
I searched around looking for some ways to do somewhat of a factory reset by holding down some keys(I think it was the 2 and 9 keys also something else with the lockout button)
I tryed them and nothing worked

The reset procedure is...

with the radio off, press and hold down these three keys at the same time:

hold

continue holding them down while you turn the scanner on.

JamesO

I hate to tell you this, but you are most likely going to need to send the scanner in to Uniden for repair.

I picked up a 996XT for cheap that would not power up, similar low level clicking noise. I tried multiple times to power the unit up. I though maybe the power adapter was bad. I then tried another power adapter and after a few more tires the unit finally powered up.

BUT it had a problem with reception. After a lot of playing around, I found that the only thing the scanner really could receive was the CB band and maybe low band.

So I figured something inside the scanner shorted out and then the short finally opened up and allowed the scanner to power up.

Sounds like a similar problem to the 996XT I was dealing with.

Darkstar350

ah JamesO glad to see that im not alone

I actually ordered mine brand new(as far as I know - 500 some odd $ later) from radio shack so that's why this is even more odd
I just got it about a month or so ago and its a shame because its such a great scanner I was blown away with all the things its capable of

but yeah Ive been searching around I have also read that some times its the power outlet that its plugged in to so ill try plugging it into a few different power outlets doing the reset thing maybe even trying it with the cigarete lighter plug

if all else fails yes I will have to send it to uniden for repair I looked up on the website how to go about that and all
as I said its fairly new I keep it clean and try to not even handle it to much
its probably no big deal just some stupid thing with corrupt software or something(or maybe I just have to accept the fact that digital and myself do not mix haha)

thanks for the insight

Darkstar350

Ok good news I think...

I tried the DC plug and it powers up - and surprisingly with all the systems I had programmed

however It did not seem to be picking anything up then again it is sunday night so not much going on

im thinking more then likely something got corrupted so I did the factory reset then I will program some systems back in and see what happens...

JamesO

Ok good news I think...

I tried the DC plug and it powers up - and surprisingly with all the systems I had programmed

however It did not seem to be picking anything up then again it is sunday night so not much going on

im thinking more then likely something got corrupted so I did the factory reset then I will program some systems back in and see what happens...

Sounds EXACTLY what happened to my 996XT. Try NOAA Weather and FM Broadcast Band, if nothing, then try the CB band. Mine would not pick up NOAA Weather or FM Broadcast, but would pick up CB and I think I did a limit Search in below 50 MHz and had a few hits.

Above 50 MHZ DEAD. I may have had some squirrelly images from one very close FM station all across the full FM Broadcast band.

Something dump and shorted on the board, then opened up. Seems like the matrix filters may not be switching??

Let me know if this is the same problem you have.

Darkstar350

i have figured out that the regular adapter does not work whatsoever so I have been using the dc plug...

seems to be powering up like usual all the buttons and whatnot seem to be working also the programming cable has been working with it

however the county wide fire dispatch in my area is below 50 and that's all I have programmed into it to test and it seems to be receiving that

I would try to test the weather stations but they don't even come in that great as it is in my area

what ill do is I will have one of my other scanners and the 996xt both on something in the 400s or so then see what happens...

JamesO

Just try FM Broadcast and see what happens, if that does not work then there is something in the RF section fried like my unit.

Darkstar350

yup I tried searched the FM broadcast and it picked up nothing also searched around in the 150s where SOMETHING usually comes in whether its noise or what so im not gonna screw around with this any more something is definitely wrong - off to uniden....

thanks for all your input JamesO
I suppose its some kind of bug with the 996xt

JamesO

Kind of thought it might be the same issue that I ran into.

Interesting there are at least 2 of these cases!

Let me know what the Uniden Repair report says.

ricktal1965

bcd996xt blank screen too

Woke at 530am with a blank screen. Radion on all night. 6am used a USB cable and freescan which allowed me to see operations inside of the unit. But still no LCD lettering or numbering.... Just the back lighting. Reception is great, still. ***Probably a uniden repair trip to fix LCD because no pixels displayed.*** Will try a hard re-set (9, 2, Hold) Will post update to this after attemp at hard re-set.

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
Those resets are NOT going to do anything but erase your programming, won't fix hardware issues!

What I would do with power disconnected is open the radio up, 4 screws in the back, then 4 screws on the sides once the black cover is removed.
Go in and gently push.... again just gently push the ribbon cable connectors in.
The 996XT's are prone to the cables loosening up. Ive fixed em before doing this.

Far as reception if the screen is blank for NOAA and you can use frescan or so to control the radio, go to MENU then go down to WX Operation and push Wheather Scan.
If no reception where you know there should be, probably send it in. 996XT's are prone to have an issues where no reception occurs.
See - https://forums.radioreference.com/u...er-uniden-bcd996xt-has-stopped-receiving.html

ricktal1965

bcd996xt blank screen follow-up

Took cover off as recommended. wiggled, pressed and moved ribbon cable(s) without success. One thing of note: The ribbon cable to the LCD had clear glue holding it in place to the receiver slot on both ends. Concerned about further damage, I did not force or aggressively move the flat ribbon cable much. So the results of the attemp to repair as suggested above yeild un-successful results. Thanks for the suggestion all the same. I build micro and tiny computer as a hobby. And am comfortable with opening devices. And aware of force damage to ribbon cables. Especially keypads and such. Broke a few old Regency devices that way. Thanks again...

cg

Premium Subscriber
One of mine is at Uniden for the exact same thing. Since I have another dozen of them, I am interested in seeing what the replaced parts are.
The ribbon cables used to come out in the 996T/BCT8 era scanners. Since the addition of the glue, it has fixed that issue. A bit of RTV silicone will work if you need to remove the blob.

chris

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
It's unlikely the LCD itself has failed, most likely it's a connection issue. Remove the glue, pull the cable, and reseat it in the connectors.

ricktal1965

bcd996xt blank screen FIXED

Merry xmas to all. Good news. Came home after road trip to see family. Plugged my 996xt in (which had a back light but no writing) into my bct8 power supply in the house and it works like it should. Writing and all.
For the past 48 hrs it has been running on the 13 volts in my truck with no writing on LCD and for a few days before that in the house. Strange. Inclined to believe the posts above about the ribbon cable being loose was problem. No bumps or bangs while moving it from truck to house. But it works now. Thank you all for the suggestions and recommendations on repair ideas. Even the bct8, now on the 996xt power supply works without a problem. Will post any changes after I move it back to truck for the coming days of travel.

Status
Not open for further replies.