RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners and Receivers Forums > Uniden Forums > Uniden Owner Tech Support

Uniden Owner Tech Support For current owners to get support with their scanners from existing or past owners. If you do not own or have model experience please restrict yourself to the other sub-forums.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-28-2014, 3:55 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default BCD436HP Repair Notes

Serial Notes
IF UNIT IS TO CLOSE TO A TRANSMITTER, MAKE SURE SCANNER IS NOT RECEIVING THE SAME FREQUENCY BEING TRANSMITTED

I sent my BCD436HP in for repair as it stopped receiving.

Attached are the notes I received back from repair.

I thought that searching for close by transmissions was an option for this scanner. Apparently not ??

Any comments ??
Sponsored links
Old 07-28-2014, 4:38 PM
Global DB Admin/Senior Mod
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

What were you doing with it when the front end got fried?

There's "searching for close by frequencies" and then there's "frying the front end by keying a radio up close to the antenna"

Sorry but I don't accept PM's. Please use email instead.
Old 07-28-2014, 5:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB2RSK View Post
Serial Notes
IF UNIT IS TO CLOSE TO A TRANSMITTER, MAKE SURE SCANNER IS NOT RECEIVING THE SAME FREQUENCY BEING TRANSMITTED

I thought that searching for close by transmissions was an option for this scanner. Apparently not ??

Any comments ??
Near field RF can be very strong.

Even if the scanner is not on the same frequency being transmitted the front end can be fried.

General rule I use, do not have a transmit antenna within 25 feet of a receiver if at all possible. You can have them closer, but 25 feet will usually be a safe distance.

This obviously does not pertain to high power broadcast antennas, but if you are within 25 feet of a broadcast antenna under full power the scanner will be the least of your worries!
Old 07-28-2014, 5:27 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB2RSK View Post
Serial Notes

Any comments ??
Close is a relative word.

If you transmit on 154.00 with 1w (+30 dBm) the path loss at 1 foot is only about 6 dB, giving you a signal strength of +24 dBm. Most test equipment I have can't handle over a +20 at the antenna input. Transmit at 5w (+37 dBm) and it's +32 dBm...probably waaay too much.

"Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something."
Old 07-28-2014, 5:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
Close is a relative word.

If you transmit on 154.00 with 1w (+30 dBm) the path loss at 1 foot is only about 6 dB, giving you a signal strength of +24 dBm. Most test equipment I have can't handle over a +20 at the antenna input. Transmit at 5w (+37 dBm) and it's +32 dBm...probably waaay too much.
And most test equipment does not have low noise sensitive first stage amplifiers, as most test equipments is not designed to be a sensitive receiver. Usually the unit under test is cabled directly test equipment to a coupler or test device. Some test equipment can take a direct transmit level from handheld or lower power mobile equipment.
Old 07-28-2014, 7:02 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default repaired bc436hp

I was just monitorig when it quit.
Using an outside discone antenna.
My ham equipment was powered down. Not transmitting..
Could of been a static disharge.
Glad; it was still under warranty