396XT data connector assembly

Status
Not open for further replies.

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
Hi there,

Recently I've been having problems with my 396XT's data connector on the scanner side. Basically the data connection doesn't work reliably unless I hold the cable/connector in a certain position. (I've tried multiple Uniden-serial connectors, and I use a FTDI USB/Serial adapter with LED's for each pin, so I can easily tell when the serial connection is active. As such, the problem is definitely on the scanner side)

I opened the scanner and it appears the data connector assembly somehow came a bit "loose". In order to access the connector it appears I need to un-solder a small metal cover. Does anyone have any tips on fixing this yourself?

-Nate

JamesO

There is a metal shield needs to be removed to access the connector and connector terminals.

Check the connector for broken plastic and/or broken/cold solder joints.

I had to replace the same connector on my HP-1 scanner.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Hi there,

Recently I've been having problems with my 396XT's data connector on the scanner side. Basically the data connection doesn't work reliably unless I hold the cable/connector in a certain position. (I've tried multiple Uniden-serial connectors, and I use a FTDI USB/Serial adapter with LED's for each pin, so I can easily tell when the serial connection is active. As such, the problem is definitely on the scanner side)

I opened the scanner and it appears the data connector assembly somehow came a bit "loose". In order to access the connector it appears I need to un-solder a small metal cover. Does anyone have any tips on fixing this yourself?

-Nate

If you find that you need to replace the connector, here is some info that might help......

Note that the connector is not the same as the mini-USB connector on the Home Patrol. It is:

Hirose part # MQ172X-4SA-CV(50)

Check these links for the proper connector:

Uniden BCD396XT non-standard “USB” cable and a source of connectors. | Daniel Reetz

http://forums.radioreference.com/at...uniden-gps-connector-info-e20609504-25468.pdf

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
Okay, so the connector came totally loose. It appears it's "secured" mainly from the sides, apparently with solder. I'm going to order a new one, but I'm thinking I might be able to use the old one for now. Can I simply solder the two metal sides back in place?

Status
Not open for further replies.