Uniden BCD396XT and Astro P25 question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trainguy1997

I recently read that next year Tippecanoe county is going to migrate over to a ASTRO equipped P25 system. My question is will my BCD396XT be able to track the ASTRO system or will I have to get a new scanner?

Shad "Steve" Vargo
-Host of NW Indiana Railroad radio feed-

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
If Wikipedia is to be believed, it might be a problem.

Astro (Motorola) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"The ASTRO 25 system, which complies with the P25 standard, uses TDMA technology to deliver both voice and data messaging over a single wireless communications infrastructure. Because ASTRO 25 is a P25 TDMA system, it offers greater spectrum efficiency, lower equipment costs, advanced radio features and flexibility, and longer battery life.[4] The ASTRO 25 network also ensures encryption key assignment over the system’s radio channels and enhanced network security tools."

As I understand it, TDMA is P25 Phase II, which cannot be decoded by the 996XT (the newer Uniden scanners - x36 and HP2 will). The 996 does FDMA, or Phase I.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
ASTRO, essentially is Motorola's name for P25 common air interface (voice). ASTRO systems do not have to be phase 2. Having said that, the OP has not enough information yet to determine. It could be a phase 2 system, but it also might not.

Voyager

ASTRO, essentially is Motorola's name for P25 common air interface (voice). ASTRO systems do not have to be phase 2. Having said that, the OP has not enough information yet to determine. It could be a phase 2 system, but it also might not.

+1 (or LIKE)

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager

Astro is not necessarily P25. They also used it to refer to VSELP systems.

However, as Jay said, these days it's essentially P25 since most if not all VSELP systems have left the air.

Trainguy1997

Tippecanoe County Astro

Will the Uniden BCD436HP be able to track the Astro System? If so I may buy one since I visit family in Lafayette every few months

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
If "they" mean a P25 Phase II system by "Astro" (which as noted above is a Motorola name), yes the 436 is capable of monitoring this.

Voyager

It appears it will be P25 Phase II. Whether anything will monitor it will depend if encryption is deployed.

Status
Not open for further replies.