BC75XLT: 7 digit frequencies problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

medic138eric

Premium Subscriber
I am experiencing some issues utilizing my BC75XLT when dialing in frequencies which need to be rounded off. For example, when I put in a frequency such as 154.430, I have no problems at all at receiving transmissions. However, if I input a frequency such as 501.0375 I pick up nothing. Most of the time I get white noise, which in itself is a rare occurrence.

To give a little back story about my problem, I will describe how I typically use my scanner. Essentially, I acquire frequencies from radioreference database and input them into my scanner. Most of them are working for fire and ems transmissions, but other frequencies which have more than 6 digits have not worked for me. Maybe this link will allow somebody to understand what I am dealing with: Bucks County Trunking System, Solebury, Pennsylvania - Scanner Frequencies

In simple terms, I am trying to pick up this one particular frequency, 501.0375, so I can listen to ems ops in my area using my scanner.... What can be done? What is the difference between frequencies such as 155.550 or 154.430 and the one found the link above?

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Check your manual and see what the frequency spacing is for your scanner. Under the newest FCC rules, channels are closer together, requiring the changes in values after the decimal. Spacing on many conventional frequencies went from 25 Khz to 12.5 kHZ.

Voyager

Check your manual and see what the frequency spacing is for your scanner. Under the newest FCC rules, channels are closer together, requiring the changes in values after the decimal. Spacing on many conventional frequencies went from 25 Khz to 12.5 kHZ.

Huh? The 450-512 MHz channels have been spaced at 12.5 kHz since the 70s (if not before). The only difference is that in the last 10 years or so they let higher power transmitters on the "splinter channels", and in the T-band 501.0375 is a standard channel, not a "splinter channel".

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
That frequency is part of a trunked radio system on which all channels are digital. You won't be able to use the BC75XLT to monitor that system.

medic138eric

Premium Subscriber
That frequency is part of a trunked radio system on which all channels are digital. You won't be able to use the BC75XLT to monitor that system.

Now we are getting somewhere. That makes sense, what could be used to monitor trunked frequencies? By that I mean what is cost efficient and recommended?

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
That system would require one of the following current Uniden models:

• BCD396XT
  • BCD996XT
  • HomePatrol-I
  • BCD436HP
  • BCD536HP
  • HomePatrol-II
(the last 3 have support for the newer Phase 2 digital, which is not needed for that particular system).

n3ouc

Premium Subscriber
You would have to purchase a digital scanner to listen to Bucks County. I personally listen to them on a BCD996XT which was around 300$. There are a few options for digital scanners out there but the price tag will be from 300-600$. Whistler and Uniden both have digital scanners that will work with this system.

medic138eric

Premium Subscriber
You would have to purchase a digital scanner to listen to Bucks County. I personally listen to them on a BCD996XT which was around 300$. There are a few options for digital scanners out there but the price tag will be from 300-600$. Whistler and Uniden both have digital scanners that will work with this system.

I understand, thanks for your answer. Your answer; however, raises a different question. Why would a County use analog, which i guess is what a frequency such as 155.550 would be, for dispatch, and trunking frequencies of response ems ground operations? What is the purpose of this?

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I understand, thanks for your answer. Your answer; however, raises a different question. Why would a County use analog, which i guess is what a frequency such as 155.550 would be, for dispatch, and trunking frequencies of response ems ground operations? What is the purpose of this?
The 155.550 frequency is listed as being used for Fire and EMS Dispatch Pagers. Pagers won't operate off of a trunked system. They monitor one set frequency for a specific set of tones or digital data burst to trigger them. So, that's an analog, fixed, frequency to accommodate that usage.

Once the units are responding, they are using the trunked system, via either a handheld (portable) radio, or a mounted radio in their vehicle.

medic138eric

Premium Subscriber
The 155.550 frequency is listed as being used for Fire and EMS Dispatch Pagers. Pagers won't operate off of a trunked system. They monitor one set frequency for a specific set of tones or digital data burst to trigger them. So, that's an analog, fixed, frequency to accommodate that usage.

Once the units are responding, they are using the trunked system, via either a handheld (portable) radio, or a mounted radio in their vehicle.

Why can't they just use analog for both? A lot of the surrounding counties use analog for paging and communications.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Why can't they just use analog for both? A lot of the surrounding counties use analog for paging and communications.

For the same reasons any entity uses a trunked system. A trunked system allows more users to communicate without interference than a hodgepodge of standalone frequencies, with better interoperability. Digital allows better voice quality with less bandwidth use. Which is why everyone is migrating to digital trunked systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.