Steps to test the GPS puck on my HP-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

tc4racer

My HP-1 and GPS puck have been working flawlessly for years! All of a sudden the GPS is not recognized. It appears warm, and getting power, all connections checked.

I remember hearing early on that there were some connector failures at the HP-1 side.

Is there a way with a DVM or perhaps computer with serial port that I can simply test to see if the puck is outputting the serial data needed, or if in fact I have a hardware connection issue?

I am not a GPS wizard, so not even sure I what I could use to test the puck. Will it respond to a putty/hyperterm connection just to see if serial data is coming out?

Thanks

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
The GPS outputs a serial data stream. Try connecting it to a computer and seeing if you get any data.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
If it is the BC-GPSK, then that means the GPS puck itself does not have a satellite lock and is not outputing the NMEA data to the scanner.

tc4racer

Well, if the connector is bad, would not that cause the same problem? Its never failed to lock up almost instantly, and as soon as I turned on the HP-1 I got the "use gps" message. This is all hardwired in my car, so it takes some time to remove the panels to get to the serial connector.

I will try to get a computer on the serial cable tomorrow.

Thanks.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
No. If the puck has satellite lock, the light will blink regardless of whether the output cable is connected to something or not.

tc4racer

I must have a different one (Garmin 18x I think), I see no light. But its dead. I got a serial connection to the laptop and no data coming off. Plus its very warm. Its been on 24x7 for a few years, think I killed it!

Status
Not open for further replies.