Still having reception issues at home, confirmed its the unit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larkin71

Premium Subscriber
As some of you may remember, a few months ago, I posted how I can pick up Digital transmissions (Ohio Marcs) at work but never at home nor in the general area around the house, as in the city. I work only 10 miles from home. Everything was ok until September. I am scanning off the full data base which I update each week. I don't think its anything in the house. I have a BCD546HP and I changed radios for a day with a co-worker who just got a BCD996XT and it worked great in my house, and my radio worked great in HIS house. Very frustrating. If this problem sounds crazy to you, I can certainly understand. I don't get it either. Its like the radio won't pick up anything from slightly far away. Here are a few questions I have....could there be a setting accidentally changed like a DX/Local feature on a FM/AM radio? Could I have done some actual damage somehow? Could there be a defect and would be it best to just contact Uniden and ask them directly? It would be a challenge to explain what's going on, but maybe I can try. Tough to spend so much on something that only works in the office.....

What should I do?

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
If all you are doing is scanning the full database and NOT using any Favorites Lists, then it's probably something with location settings.

I can see where "his" 996XT worked at your home, is because it does not have a location configuration (zip code and range), where your scanner does.

You might try changing your RANG value to the maximum, which is 50.

The next thing you might try is using Google Earth to locate your home. When you have located your home, note the Latitude and Longitude values, which should be near the lower right hand corner of Google Earth.

Go back to your scanner and set your location manually: Menu>Set Your Location>Set Manual Location. Enter the Latitude and Longitude as you noted from Google Earth.

Do not use the Zip Code feature for this exercise. There could be something "funky" with your location as determined by the zip code setting, with respect to the system's towers. (Bearing in mind I live in an urban area, where the geographical footprint of a zip code is tight, using the zip code feature on my scanner has me about 2 miles away from where I really am at home).

If the above doesn't help, then the following "should", but it will be some work. See exactly how your co-worker's scanner is programmed for the system. By exactly I mean all of the sites, groups/departments and talkgroups. Then, manually create a Favorites List using Sentinel with this exact information, noting you'll have to add Service Types where his scanner does not use them. After you've done that, write it to the scanner being sure the Favorites List is NOT using location control.

Voyager

Also check to make sure a local site isn't AVOIDed or disabled via Quick Key.

Larkin71

Premium Subscriber
Thanks everyone...last night I tried my home zip code with a 50 mile range, that didn't do anything. Next I will try the google earth solution. Another question...maybe Upman can answer...is there a way to just reset it back to factory settings? If something is avoided or attenuator is wrong or something..I'm not afraid of losing any settings, I don't have any favorites lists at this time.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Yes. You can re-format your SD card using the SD Formatter Utility. Preferably with the card in a slot on your computer or with a card reader.

Then go to Sentinel: Scanner>Clear User Data (May have to check the display all drives box). Be sure it discovers the location of the card. Then click OK. This will install all the needed files back on the re-formatted card.

Create a new Profile (the existing one could have the issue).

Download and write the full database to the scanner, along with that new Profile.

This should, except for the firmware, pretty much start you off with a clean slate.

Having said that, I still strongly believe it is something to do with your home and the associated location settings. With it working at your co-worker's home, that says everything is programmed, configured, set up, etc. The only difference is the location, so that's where the attention ought to be focused.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Had another thought, but it is a "left field" one. How long has it been since you updated the full database? Perhaps doing that might be helpful. (But it is a long shot).

Larkin71

Premium Subscriber
I update the full database weekly. As for the signal at home, please remember...my Co-Worker's scanner worked like a charm in the house. That's what really baffles me. On the location issue...just a question, how does it factor in if I'm using full database and have no GPS hooked up to it? I'm just trying to understand.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
The 996XT doesn't have anything internal to establish its location. So when your co-worker programmed his scanner, he had to select the appropriate towers and groups (departments) to monitor.

Your scanner has an internal location function. When you set your zip code on the scanner, it references an internal database for a location. Thus if you enter 45885, the zip code for St. Mary's Ohio, the scanner looks at the zipcode data file and determines your location to be latitude 40'38'28.35 N and longitude 84'23'39.83 W. The scanner will then turn on sites and departments (groups) that are within the range you have selected.

(However, for the best accuracy of where your home is, do the "Google Earth thing" to set the location manually).

If you were to connect a GPS device to your scanner, the GPS device tells your scanner where it is. That "GPS location" over-rides the zip code location.

Going back to an earlier suggestion, using Sentinel to program a Favorites List which exactly replicates how your co-worker's scanner is programmed, probably is your answer. The only difference is that you would have to set Service Types (a feature not in 996XTs).

Also you'd have to set Location Control for that Favorites List to Off. That eliminates any location issues (as in what is on or off due to location), from the picture. That in effect would have your scanner behaving exactly as your co-workers scanner behaves.

phask

Premium Subscriber
1 possibility.

You are scanning the entire database, even with a range at zero you probably load 3 to as many as 10 sites. Without knowing your range and doing some work that's a guess. You probably actually receive 2 or 3 at the most (reliably).

It's possible scanning all those sites that one is receiving interference. It may stop on one or stop very briefly or just slow. Also scan time increases with all these sites.

You need to lockout all the sites except the closest one or 2. You probably use a different site at work, or less interference.

It's also possible that there is a site freq. wrong - doubtful, but not impossible.

I'm not sure how or if that scanner shows sites or even to lock out. I use 996's and HP1 and HP2.

If you could create favorites you could easily trim it down.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I'm of the thought he might be getting sites. Rather it could be an issue of departments being off due to range/location settings.

The scanner works fine at another location, so I'm sure frequencies, etc., are programmed correctly. The only difference is the location. When the scanner is at the co-worker's home it "could" be in the "ring" of sites/departments, but when Larkin takes the scanner home, it is outside that ring.

I'd bet a dollar that we'll find the problem to be something very simple.

Larkin71

Premium Subscriber
Remember too, the Co worker's scanner works at my house. I am torn between wanting to sell it and be done with it or even calling Uniden to check it out but I'm sure I'll sound like a buffoon trying to explain this.

rugrat5288

Turn off the attenuator. Make sure you have the range set properly, make sure squelch isn't turned up to far,. The co wrkers scanner operates differently than yours.

Larkin71

Premium Subscriber
I'm sure the attenuator is off. The squelch is at 2. I've extensively changed and fooled with the range, zip code, etc. Nothing has worked.

kb8rvp

Have you checked to see what service types you have turned on? Menu/select service types make sure you have all of the fire, police and ems set to on.

If that doesn't work create your own favorites list so you can confirm the frequencies in the database you are pulling from are correct or not. The database is only as good as the people that are updating it. I live in Michigan and the entire state was rebanded and went from 868.xxx to 853.000 for the state system and the database had to be updated... It 's a little work using a PC and the sentinel software but it may help you figure out the issue and then you can send in an update to the RR database and get the full database working for your area if you find out the wrong frequency is listed for your location.

Mike

Larkin71

Premium Subscriber
Thanks Mike, but I've had the right service types checked. And I've used favorites lists too. I even cleared user data the other day. I've tried everything even different zip codes and ranges. Remember, until early fall everything worked fine. Now I only get analog in the house and it's bad actually. Lots of static. My 2 older scanners are clear on those tranmissions.

cognetic

Premium Subscriber
RF desensing or adjacent freq noise filtration

Just tossing this out there from 1st hand experience... RF sensitivity, noise, and filtration are variables unique to each radio/scanner model, environment, RF location profile, antenna combo...

Every radio I've owned has its quirks... desensing tilts all my uniden models at some point depending on combination of factors.

Recently, I noticed desensing for the first time on a 536 and a 436 in RF dense location at work.
Same places, where my HP1s and HP2 have ceased to function for P25 Phase I (i.e. heavy adjacent freq use areas).

If you have a spectrum analyzer, a SDR waterfall (surprisingly cheap on amazon), any RF sniff equipment on hand to scan.... something as simple as the next door neighbor's new holiday plasma light have been shown to mess with one's RF mind.

phask

Premium Subscriber
The OP is in or close to Auglaize county. MARCS has 2 sites close, in fact there is only one in Auglaize and one in the adjoining county.

I don't know the exact location(s), but I'd guess he is between the 2 sites.

I've asked and never got a reply. but What sites are you receiving?

If you are running with a range anywhere over 5 you probably load 2 or 3.

Auglaize has a range in the DB of 18 miles, The 2 nearest sites - Wapak and Celina have ranges of 30.

You said you have tried favorites but again HOW is in the details.

Do this - create a favorite without location enabled, delete all sites but the 2 above. If you can't receive it then - we can go from there. If you want to , drop me a PM and I'll create a test FL to try.

- For others watching - That part of Ohio is flat, MARCS is structured with primarily a single site per county or geographic circle in that area. It's also lightly populated so traffic is still light One could easily hear the entire county with one site loaded or 2 depending on location.

mitbr

Since you have tried almost everything it is possible your bnc antenna connector on the radio has gone bad as mine did.
Go to a steady signal like a noaa broadcast and with the ant on the back of the radio move it if the signal suddenly drops out it means its making poor contact with the center pin on the radios bnc connector.

See this post for further info on solutions to this problem.
http://forums.radioreference.com/un...rt/292804-536hp-bad-bnc-connection-radio.html
Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.