Bcd436hp gps receiver question

Status
Not open for further replies.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
I have this garmin usb gps puck. Will it work with a bcd436hp and if so, what cables would I need? Is there a wire that plugs into the scanner that would have a usb plug and a 12volt cig lighter plug?

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
Nope. That puck doesn't have a NMEA output.

Ok, I also have a Garmin 276c

I used to use this with my laptop and it has a NMEA output.

I know the cable for that has a 12v cig plug and a 9 pin serial connector. Would this work and what cable would I need?

The cable that came with my uniden Br330t actually fits the gps port on the 436 and has a serial on the other end. Would this cable, from the br330t if connected to the gps port on the 436 and connected to the garmin 276c let me use the gps function?

phask

Premium Subscriber
It will, you might - or might not need a null modem. Try it and see, you also might have to set the NMEA output settings within the Garmin. I used a GPS 60 for years and guessing your Garmin has similar output settings. Also will probably have to set baud rate on the 2 the same.

I know the cable for that has a 12v cig plug and a 9 pin serial connector. Would this work and what cable would I need?

The cable that came with my uniden Br330t actually fits the gps port on the 436 and has a serial on the other end. Would this cable, from the br330t if connected to the gps port on the 436 and connected to the garmin 276c let me use the gps function?

Voyager

If you used it with your laptop, it will work the same with the mobile scanners - no adapters needed.

For the 330 cable, you would need a null modem adapter and gender changer.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
If you used it with your laptop, it will work the same with the mobile scanners - no adapters needed.

For the 330 cable, you would need a null modem adapter and gender changer.

I dont know anything about those items. Would you have any model or part numbers for those?

dave3825

Premium Subscriber

Voyager

Voyager, What is the difference between the one you posted and this null modem male to male?

Null Modem Adapter DB9 Male to DB9 Male | eBay

To me gender change means to male to female. This is a male to male and I have 2 females...

The one you posted seems to only have 8 pins...

No electrical difference. The one I posted is much more compact.

Also, not all pins are used in all applications. In fact, I think the GPS only uses 3 pins (maybe 5 at the most).

I have used the exact ones I posted without any issues. I just double-checked, and mine are also missing the one pin.

Gender changer means it just changes the gender. That can change a male cable end to a female, or a female to a male as it is doing in this case. A gender changer will always have the same gender on both ends of the adapter.

In this case, it is also acting as a null modem - internally swapping pins 2 and 3 (TXD and RXD).

stingray327

Voyager

Just plug it in to a 536 or 996 series. You will need the Uniden GPS cable if for the 436.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
The null modem will be here Friday, tho its in Melville and only 15 miles away at the moment...

Voyager

You don't have to. You do have to have your FLs populated with coordinates and THEIR ranges set.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
Hey Voyager,

I just wanted to thank you for the links and help you provided. I ordered the one you recommended and it came. After doing some research I got a little nervous. I read here that the gps needs to be NMEA-0183 ver.3.01 compliant, including GGA and RMC sentences. My garmin is NMEA-0183 ver.2.3 compliant.

I set my range to zero and hooked up the gps. Its was scanning my local fire division. As I started driving to work it started scanning the next division. The next day I set the scanner to zip 90210 and plugged in the gps and it loaded the ny data base. This puppy is working great.

Thanks again..

stingray327

Hey Voyager,

I just wanted to thank you for the links and help you provided. I ordered the one you recommended and it came. After doing some research I got a little nervous. I read here that the gps needs to be NMEA-0183 ver.3.01 compliant, including GGA and RMC sentences. My garmin is NMEA-0183 ver.2.3 compliant.

I set my range to zero and hooked up the gps. Its was scanning my local fire division. As I started driving to work it started scanning the next division. The next day I set the scanner to zip 90210 and plugged in the gps and it loaded the ny data base. This puppy is working great.

Thanks again..

Ok so that's the hook up and adjustments.

Status
Not open for further replies.