Site Display

Status
Not open for further replies.

teebee

Is there a setting on the 536hp when monitoring a system (LWIN) it will display the Site its on. I have several sites nearby I monitor within the LWIN system and cannot tell which site its on at the time a channel is transmitting. I do know it does on the 996T. Can't figure how to on the 536.

troymail

Silent Key
Is there a setting on the 536hp when monitoring a system (LWIN) it will display the Site its on. I have several sites nearby I monitor within the LWIN system and cannot tell which site its on at the time a channel is transmitting. I do know it does on the 996T. Can't figure how to on the 536.

The 536 only shows the sites while scanning. Once it stops on a talkgroup, you can't see the site on the radio's display. Not that it helps but the 436 does show the site during transmissions - albeit using very tiny text.

I suspect the Uniden position is you'll be able to see that and other things - like the frequencies in use - on the SIREN app ... not real helpful if you're not using that (and/or - as it is for some - we don't have an app [Android]). Either way, it isn't very convenient.

teebee

That's a bummer. I really liked that feature on the previous models. It would be nice if they could do a firmware update to include that.

garys

Premium Subscriber
I was disappointed in this too, but according to UPMan it's a matter of screen real estate. One thing I really wish Uniden would do is design in user configuration of the display. Let us decide what we want to see. An alternative would be to allow the display to alternate site and department info. There was a scanner that did that, but I forget which one that was.

troymail

Silent Key
All of these kinds of things are possible - even some of the changes people are asking for with the 436 and it's rough, prototype looking and hard to see/read layout (give us an option of larger text and less information). It's simply a matter of what Uniden will agree to and is willing to do.

teebee

Seems like i did read in a previous post the "site" would display if you were connected to a PC and running the software. (not talking about Siren APP)

garys

Premium Subscriber
Seems like i did read in a previous post the "site" would display if you were connected to a PC and running the software. (not talking about Siren APP)

This is true. Even then, the font is very small.

sparklehorse

Premium Subscriber

Here's a trick that works for me on the 536 on a Moto Smartzone 800 analog system I monitor: I set one site to FM modulation, and the second site on NFM. The modulation mode shows on the display when the scanner is holding on a talk group, so this is a handy work-around for the lack of site info. I have to remember which site is set to which mode of course, but that's easy even for me. I'm only dealing with two sites on this system, so this may or may not be helpful to you. Also, on this system I can detect no difference in audio quality between the two modes. So it won't work obviously if your system works better in one mode vs. the other.

Gilligan

Database Admin
I know it's an inferior idea and a pain overall but depending on how important this is for you to see you could program each site as a different system :(

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber

The active site is displayed in the RH 536 program.

It is also displayed if you use the Virtual Control function of ARC 536 Pro as well as being logged in the log file.

Minus1

I was disappointed in this too, but according to UPMan it's a matter of screen real estate. One thing I really wish Uniden would do is design in user configuration of the display. Let us decide what we want to see. An alternative would be to allow the display to alternate site and department info. There was a scanner that did that, but I forget which one that was.

Yes please, I'd get rid of the antiquated
F0:0123456789
S0:01213456789
nonsense for a start, and the date and time does NOT need to be permanently displayed. People have watches and multiple other sources of date & time.

Put the quick key number on the fav/system/dept/channel line automatically.

Gilligan

Database Admin
nonsense for a start, and the date and time does NOT need to be permanently displayed. People have watches and multiple other sources of date & time.

Personally I like these ideas. No reason we couldn't push the Favorites List indicator over by 4 small spaces and put ##: FAV-LIST-NAME instead so that the list quick key precedes the name.

Voyager

Why push it? Add it to your tag. Problem solved.

If anything, I would only be in favor of adding it as a Sentinel option to prepend the tag with the number. But, this would be a one-time option, as once it is prepended you would not want to prepend it again.

As for the time/date display, as odd as it sounds, I find myself grabbing the scanner more often than the phone since the time/date is shown on the scanner. On the phone, I have to press a button to activate the screen. I also look at the scanner more often in general, and it's nice to get a quick time check.

troymail

Silent Key

Yes + 1

Yes +1 - I do this manually now (which is a pain).... Unfortunately, sometimes I still can't even see/read that but the odds of reading that info is far better than reading this:

sparklehorse

Premium Subscriber
Unfortunately, sometimes I still can't even see/read that but the odds of reading that info is far better than reading this:

Funny how yours has that extra "1" on the System line.

Seriously though, I like that display. In fact, I want it to show the Department QK's on a permanent third line so I don't have to monkey with the Function knob to see them. Just goes to show that everyone has their own preference for what they want displayed, and one size does not fit all.

More customization options please Uniden!!!

N8MWY

Premium Subscriber
RE: Site display

Wow I wish I had seen this thread before I bought my 536. I would have never thought that this radio wouldn't display the tower site for a trunked system, given all the real estate on the display and the fact that my old 996xt shows the site!

Being a ham radio operator and general radio enthusiast I like to know where a signal is originating. I put up a high profile antenna tuned specifically for 772 mHz just for the Ohio MARCS system and I like to DX the most (and most distant) tower sites possible, especially when atmospheric conditions are above normal.

Using the app or a computer to see the tower site is not practical for me or acceptable on a radio I have $500 in. Thanks to Gilligan for the idea of programming each site as a separate system. I'm not crazy about having to do that but I'm going to try it. I hate the idea of sending this radio back.

Last edited:

firemantom26

Premium Subscriber
I agree I don’t like it either that it does not display tower sites. I use my I pad with the sirn app to see it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ubbe

I use the Siren app all the time. I place the phone below my computer screen so I never need to look at the scanner and I get the color code, slot and site info as well.

/Ubbe

firemantom26

Premium Subscriber
Yep, it stinks that the tower site does not appear.

Hopefully a software update can fix this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.