BCD436HP/BCD536HP: GPS

Status
Not open for further replies.

f2shooter

Morning all,

Now that I've spent some time working with my 436HP I am starting to figure out what questions I want to solve in daily usage. I'll probably start carrying it around on out of area travel a good bit and would like to use the GPS function to automatically update location information. What item do I need to purchase to do so as easily as possible? I'm not inclined to do much button pushing while driving so it needs to do the work on its own as much as possible. I've seen references to GPS use but don't know if there is an accessory specific to the 436 or if there are several options that can simply be plugged into it. What are others of you doing or are you using a different function such as Autolocate to update location? Thanks.

Otis

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I'd recommend the Uniden GPS device. I got mine from Scannermaster several years and a couple of different scanner models, ago. The only thing I'm not certain of, is whether it comes with the adapter cable which goes between your 436 and the DB9 end on the device. A call to Scannermaster should answer that question.

Uniden GPS Receiver for BCD996XT/BCT15X/BCD396XT/BC346XT and HomePatrol | ScannerMaster.com

Once the initial setup is done, which basically is telling the scanner that a GPS device is connected along with the "first capture" of GPS signals, it is all automatic afterwards.

GPS scanning is a really great thing for a traveler.

Paulsan

Mine just arrived on Friday. Yes, it did come with all the necessary connections. I ordered from Amazon.

J-50break1

Premium Subscriber
Hello fellow members,
J-50Break1 Here and I am in a," holding pattern" with my Brand New BCD436HP I just bought. I am struggling with the programming. I would like to Know what information I should program so that I'm not scanning the Full Database. What I'd like to hear is JUST the area I'm in Only then switch to a new area, until I can Afford the GPS Unit

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
At its simplest, put in your zip code and turn on/off the service types you want to hear. The scanner will automatically limit the channels selected for scanning based on those settings (see How it Works: Location, Location, Location for a more in-depth explanation of how location settings work).

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
Hello fellow members,
J-50Break1 Here and I am in a," holding pattern" with my Brand New BCD436HP I just bought. I am struggling with the programming. I would like to Know what information I should program so that I'm not scanning the Full Database. What I'd like to hear is JUST the area I'm in Only then switch to a new area, until I can Afford the GPS Unit

At its simplest, put in your zip code and turn on/off the service types you want to hear. The scanner will automatically limit the channels selected for scanning based on those settings (see How it Works: Location, Location, Location for a more in-depth explanation of how location settings work).

Adding to this, another cool feature of the 436HP is the ability to easily create a favorites list from the RRDB, on the fly, directly on the scanner itself. No Sentinel (or accompanying computer) required!

First, as UPMAN suggested, plug your zip code in and set up your services. Once you have the services narrowed down to what you want and the scanner is scanning in Zip Code mode (my own clever nickname for Full DB Mode), you'll be ready for the next step.

Go into the menu and select Manage Favorites.
Next, select New Favorites List and press E (or the volume knob).A blank favorites list is created.
Scroll down the menu to Add Current DB Channels. You'll be asked to confirm the choice and then the channels will be added.
From there, feel free to rename your favorites list, remove channels you don't want, add new ones, etc. Endless possibilities. Once you're done making changes, go back to the menu, choose Set Scan Selection and turn OFF the Full DB, leaving just your newly created list active to scan.

FYI - this also works if you want to clone your currently selected favorites lists into another one for further editing or experimentation. Just substitute loading up the full DB for loading up the favorites list (or lists) that you want added to the new favorites list and follow the steps above. Quite the handy little feature, especially for anyone who finds themselves away from home and/or without a computer handy!

-AZ

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
I'll add to AZ's tip that you can run the main database for a while, first, and avoid unwanted channels/departments (it is a heck of a lot easier to spend a few minutes avoiding stuff that is overselected than it is to try to crawl through a database trying to find the channels you want). After you've gone a while without avoiding anything, if you do the "Add Current DB Channels" mentioned above, it will omit the channels you've avoided.

J-50break1

Premium Subscriber
To All

Thank you for the support. I am sorry for the intrusive way I came aboard. I am new to RadioReference, all I remembered was a book called "Police Call and Beyond" and I just Programmed in the Freq. Done.
Now I see there is a Wide Range of Radios, and now Encryption, so now that I'm back into Scanning, I have a lot to learn. Thank you for your Tips and replies.

J-50Break1

KA2ZEY

Could I just chime in with a question regarding this subject? Let's say you go into services and only turn on Law Tac and Fire Tac. Then, if you go create a Favorites list and add the database (in the Zipcode area), will it only load up Law Tac and Fire Tac? Or will it still load the entire database? And if I create a database, does the Select Services On/Off apply to the Favorites list created and the DB or just the DB.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
It will put the Law/Fire Tac channels in the FL. It will also load the full database unless you tell the scanner not to (which you can do).

Service Type selection applies to FL as well as the main dB.

KA2ZEY

Thanks for the help. Love the layout of the scanner and how FL's are great and I use them but there's also just turning on/off Services which is nice. It would be nice to have as an option to somehow lock the services in Favorites as 'On' especially since they are used with start up keys. It's nice to know that I can turn the scanner on and everything in the FL will be heard w/o having to go into the Services menu.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
You could assign all channels in a FL to Custom 9, and always leave that Service Type On to accomplish that.

KA2ZEY

Hey Guys, I've tried the idea that AZScanner suggested to have the Full DB in a Favorites list:

Created a new Favorites List (assigned to QK 0)
used the option to add Database
Turned Off 'Scan Database' Option

The problem with this is that when I turn off 'Scan Database', it doesn't show up in scan mode. Am I missing something?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.