BCD 436HP NO POWER Option??

Status
Not open for further replies.

DannB

Premium Subscriber
I was gonna purchase one of these new scanner but after reading, I dont think i will. Is it true the only way to listen to this is with batteries? You cant plug it into the wall and listen ?? like my BCD396XT
WOW I hope this is not true. I cant see Uniden over looking such a Basic and needed feature..Really??

RF23

Premium Subscriber
I was gonna purchase one of these new scanner but after reading, I dont think i will. Is it true the only way to listen to this is with batteries? You cant plug it into the wall and listen ?? like my BCD396XT
WOW I hope this is not true. I cant see Uniden over looking such a Basic and needed feature..Really??

The 436 can be plugged into your computer USB port, a cell phone USB charger which may be a module that plugs into the wall, an adapter that fits into your cigarette lighter socket in your car, or a power strip with USB charging. Since it uses the same voltage and current of cell phones these adapters are cheap and easy to find. I only use batteries alone with my 436 if storms are in progress or there is no AC for some reason.

DannB

Premium Subscriber
Just to clarify

So just so im clear i can plug it in and listen at the same time correct??
I read a review that stated if it was plugged in you could not listen it would only be charging the batteries, so this is false??

RF23

Premium Subscriber
You can listen with it plugged in but you cannot charge the batteries at the same time. To charge the batteries it has to be turned off.

I am listening to mine now with the backlight on HIGH and therefore I have it plugged into AC.

Last edited:

DannB

Premium Subscriber
Thanks N0UDG

You can listen with it plugged in but you cannot charge the batteries at the same time. To charge the batteries it has to be turned off.

I am listening to mine now with the backlight on HIGH and therefore I have it plugged into AC.

THANK YOU very much , that was the clarification I needed. Im glad i asked cause i wasnt gonna buy one, Now I will

thanks again..DanB

NYPDAUX

Or all of that of the above is a problem cigarette lighter plug cell phone charger or could always buy 2 sets of rechargeable batteries and keep them charged and your radio will always have power

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk

binrat

Premium Subscriber
BCD-436HP Recording

Hello,

It seems that on external power without batteries installed the recording features are disabled.

Can anyone else confirm this, thanks.

RF23

Premium Subscriber
Hello,

It seems that on external power without batteries installed the recording features are disabled.

Can anyone else confirm this, thanks.

The batteries protect your SD card when it is being written to since a power failure during a "write" to your SD card could cause it to be corrupted which is not good.

You can still use your 436 on external power but keep batteries in it too. If they are not rechargeable make for sure when your 436 asks you if you want to charge the batteries, just be sure to press NO.

I run my 436 95% of the time on external power since I like the Display brightness on 'HIGH" and I use it more as a base than a portable but I keep good batteries in too so I can still use my SD card.

DannB

Premium Subscriber
Please clarify

The 436 can be plugged into your computer USB port, a cell phone USB charger which may be a module that plugs into the wall, an adapter that fits into your cigarette lighter socket in your car, or a power strip with USB charging. Since it uses the same voltage and current of cell phones these adapters are cheap and easy to find. I only use batteries alone with my 436 if storms are in progress or there is no AC for some reason.

Question you state the power adapters you can use for the scanner take the same power supply of a cell phone. Well the power required for the scanner is 5v 500ma and the cell phone adapters i have been finding are 5v 800ma - 5v 1ma . so before i blow up a $500 scanner , are you saying a 5v 1ma plug adapter is gonna work ?

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Question you state the power adapters you can use for the scanner take the same power supply of a cell phone. Well the power required for the scanner is 5v 500ma and the cell phone adapters i have been finding are 5v 800ma - 5v 1ma . so before i blow up a $500 scanner , are you saying a 5v 1ma plug adapter is gonna work ?
Dann, I believe you mean 5v 1amp, not "1ma", right?

The scanner is only going to use what it needs, which is less than 1 amp. So, an adapter capable of a higher output, but with the correct voltage, will work just fine.

I'm using this surge protector/power supply to power my 436HP. It has two charging ports, each capable of 1 amp. That way I can use the same charger for the scanner, and also to charge my cellphone or bluetooth earpiece.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider

The scanner is only going to use what it needs, which is less than 1 amp. So, an adapter capable of a higher output, but with the correct voltage, will work just fine.

I'm using this surge protector/power supply to power my 436HP. It has two charging ports, each capable of 1 amp. That way I can use the same charger for the scanner, and also to charge my cellphone or bluetooth earpiece.

I have a number of the 2.1/1.2 adapters for charging tablets and phones, as well as hubs that put out 1.2 on my computers. I use all of these devices to charge (power, actually - I don't leave the scanner off long enough to charge, and I have a Maha charger to charge the batteries) the radio without any issues.

DannB

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the help

Yes my mistake i meant 1 amp not 1ma..thank you for your response, ill pick one up in the morning..

WatnNY

Database Admin
Database Admin
My 436 isn't charging 8-( My first time trying to charge the batteries, and when the screen comes up asking me if I want to charge, I touch the "E" for yes, and the screen goes blank, then the screen asking me if I want to charge the batteries comes up again. What am I doing wrong? Or do I have a defective usb cable or batteries???

Jay911

Feed Provider
The first thing I'd do is swap out the USB cable and/or batteries. The USB cables are literally everywhere - use almost any cable you can find that fits. For batteries, I would have thought you'd get an "illegal voltage" error if they were bad. As always, check to make sure they're in the right way, etc. Try another set (of rechargeables of course!). The last thing I can think of right off the top of my head is the power source. Are you sure you're getting 5V and ~300mA?

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
My 436 isn't charging 8-( My first time trying to charge the batteries, and when the screen comes up asking me if I want to charge, I touch the "E" for yes, and the screen goes blank, then the screen asking me if I want to charge the batteries comes up again.

I would say it's probably a weak USB power supply that doesn't output enough power to charge the batteries. That would cause an endless loop like this:

1. Press Yes to start charging.
2. The charge circuit overloads the power supply and the USB voltage drops below 5V.
3. The charger detects low voltage and stops charging.
4. With the charging load removed, the USB voltage goes back up to 5V.
5. The scanner detects 5V on the USB port and asks if you want to charge.

At which point the cycle restarts at step 1...

Other possible causes could be a bad cable with a bad solder connection on a power lead, which would cause the same loop. It's probably not a battery, because a shorted battery wouldn't allow high enough to run the scanner.

Swap out cable and USB charger to troubleshoot.

WatnNY

Database Admin
Database Admin
I brought the scanner home from work, plugged it in to my laptop (which has the Sentinel software in it) and the scanner started charging no problem. I wonder if it's because the computers at work are OLD and the USB ports aren't as good?

Mike

SCPD

QRT
How do you get the 436 to power off of a 5 volt source it either wants to charge or Serial or data mode,no?

Jay911

Feed Provider
If you have the 436 turned on and plug in USB, it asks if you want Serial mode or Mass Storage mode. You can put it in Serial mode and not use it (the serial part) and it works just like having a "normal" scanner "plugged in".

SCPD

QRT
jay

If you have the 436 turned on and plug in USB, it asks if you want Serial mode or Mass Storage mode. You can put it in Serial mode and not use it (the serial part) and it works just like having a "normal" scanner "plugged in".

Thank you and god bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.