Just want digital Pasadena and Verdugo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I have been scanning all my life and I am 60. Can't stand it anymore. I need to bite the bullet and get a digital scanner for Pasadena PD and Verdugo Dispatch. I don't need any other stations, because my analog gets me that stuff. Can anyone tell me precisely what I need to buy, which is the cheapest and how to program same. All I want to do is turn it on and listen while I sew. I know that sounds weird, but when you have grown up with a scanner going on in the background, you can't live without it. I have tried, Lord knows I have tried, but I can't stand it anymore....thanks!....terri

LIScanner101

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Hi Terri :)

I'm sorry to hear your area has been afflicted by the "digital curse" but not all hope is lost.

First, you need to find out if you can get away with a Phase I scanner or Phase II. The former is more easily obtainable and cheaper, the latter forces you to choose between a discontinued GRE PSR-800 or one of the new Unidens (Phase II scanners are more costly).

But if your agency of choice decided to encrypt then unfortunately you're out luck. No scanner can decrypt and in any case doing so would be a serious crime anyway.

Good luck.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
First a disclaimer: I'm in Kentucky and not familiar with this area, all that I can determine comes from reading the database.

As best as I can tell, the area that you are interested in may be using a joint trunked radio system. The link to it is below. You will note some of the police talkgroups are encrypted, which means you won't be able to hear them.

Interagency Communications Interoperability System (ICIS): Project 25 Trunking System, Los Angeles County, California - Scanner Frequencies

This appears to be a P25 Phase I trunked system, so you could use a Uniden Home Patrol, 396XT or 996XT scanner to receive it. I am unfamiliar with other manufacturer's models, but I'm sure as long as it is a digital scanner, they'd work.

I'd suggest you posting a question in the California forum asking what types of scanners folks in this area are using.

Good luck!

oracavon

First off, I'm not aware of any public Phase 2 systems in Southern California. For now, they are all Phase 1, so any digital scanner can get them. You don't need the new, expensive Uniden models. However, as newer systems get built in the future, they will most likely be Phase 2 and require more expensive scanners. Those systems are probably still years away.

Pasadena and Verdugo are on the ICIS trunked system. The original ICIS system is currently a mixture of analog and digital. The new ICIS system is all digital (again, phase 1 for now). I am using a Uniden 996XT listen to them, and I get better reception (digital decode) when listening to the newer system.

The bad news is that Pasadena PD is fully encrypted, with one exception: the first initial dispatch (radio transmission) of a call is unencrypted. However, all that includes is the call type and location. All additional transmissions after that point, including call details and officer responses, are encrypted. So you won't hear much. Verdugo, however, is all unencrypted and fully scannable.

Here is the info for the original ICIS system:
Interagency Communications Interoperability System (ICIS) Trunking System, Various, California - Scanner Frequencies

Here is the info for the newer ICIS system:
Interagency Communications Interoperability System (ICIS): Project 25 Trunking System, Los Angeles County, California - Scanner Frequencies

teufler

if you can find a uniden 296D scanner, this will work. It is digital and would handle mose of what you want. The software by uniden is free, cables etc. There is on for sale on ebay right now. What has been said , there are encrypted stuff in your region. Secrets secrets, hush hush, so we as scanner listeners are out of luck. The 296D is about 50% less than new scanners but the model will work for you . You will probably scan from home so the battery will not be a bother. They have a battery cluster that is dedicated to that scanner and they last about 2 years. But if you are at home, you can just plug in all the time, and disconnect the battery.

Status
Not open for further replies.