A feature of the 436HP/536HP to consider

Status
Not open for further replies.

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
One of the features of new Unidens that seems to be a problem is setting of the Service types. Most often we read of someone with a new 436 or 536 who is not hearing much, and the first word out is to enable all Service types. This is important advice.
But I don't often read posts about the advantage of Service types. Especially in a radio-dense are like I live in the center of the Los Angeles basin, being able to turn on/off services is a great feature. For example, listening to the LAPD (police) and LASD (sheriff), it law dispatch is turned on, you can literally go for hours being bombarded 90% of your scanning time with nothing but dispatch stations. Go to Service, turn off Dispatch and Interop (LA Hotshots), and you will hear all kinds of Law Tac, Law Talk with a lot more of the local action on mobile and the ground.
Sure you can do this with "group" settings on the 396XT and 996XT, but it is so much simpler with the x36HPs just to turn on/off these Service groups. This is only one example, want to hear nothing but Air traffic in LA (including commercial, law enforcement, etc, just turn on Air) etc. I also own the PSR600/PRO-197 (one of each) and PRO-106. But this feature of Service types really makes those scanners kind of obsolete for me in an area like Los Angeles. Perhaps, in a more remote location, it might be different.
No, I am not a paid advertiser for Uniden, but when folks are considering what scanners to buy, this feature should be considered, especially in radio-dense areas.
Steve AA6IO

nosoup4u

Feed Provider
The service types imo are really under utilized. You could really setup a custom scan list using the service types if you wanted. The only issue is that there is not an easy way on the scanner to set all the service types on or off. There should be an all on/off feature.

troymail

Silent Key
I concur!

I have an older radio that monitors only fire tac talkgroups. Fire dispatch is disabled.

All of my programming includes separate groups or scanlists set up to allow me to enabled/disable dispatch and "routine" talkgroups such that the only talkgroups I will hear at times are those talkgroups where significant activity (large scale incidents) occur.

mciupa

Database Admin
The service types imo are really under utilized. You could really setup a custom scan list using the service types if you wanted.

I do this with my 536. I separate the Amateur Radio service into it's own favorite list, so I can easily disable it when I'm not inclined to monitor.

If I just monitored the Full Database, I'd wind up hanging on numerous repeaters within the counties I'm listening to. :(

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
For me the Service Types feature is dependent upon the nature of my scanning. When I'm at home or at a travel destination, I'm scanning Favorites Lists only with the DB off.

When traveling between home and my destination, it's the opposite (FLs off, DB on). The Service Types are very helpful in this "mode" as I can choose just those service types I'm interested in hearing along my way.

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
This can be addressed in the Sentinel software. There are quite a few things that could be written into the software, one being the ability to use the different profiles to download favorite lists to one scanner but not another without having to go into edit each favorite list. As the OP said, these really are powerful scanners for those who want to tailor their listening. In my opinion, the software could have been better written.

scma127

Premium Subscriber
features of 436 and 536

One of the features of new Unidens that seems to be a problem is setting of the Service types. Most often we read of someone with a new 436 or 536 who is not hearing much, and the first word out is to enable all Service types. This is important advice.
But I don't often read posts about the advantage of Service types. Especially in a radio-dense are like I live in the center of the Los Angeles basin, being able to turn on/off services is a great feature. For example, listening to the LAPD (police) and LASD (sheriff), it law dispatch is turned on, you can literally go for hours being bombarded 90% of your scanning time with nothing but dispatch stations. Go to Service, turn off Dispatch and Interop (LA Hotshots), and you will hear all kinds of Law Tac, Law Talk with a lot more of the local action on mobile and the ground.
Sure you can do this with "group" settings on the 396XT and 996XT, but it is so much simpler with the x36HPs just to turn on/off these Service groups. This is only one example, want to hear nothing but Air traffic in LA (including commercial, law enforcement, etc, just turn on Air) etc. I also own the PSR600/PRO-197 (one of each) and PRO-106. But this feature of Service types really makes those scanners kind of obsolete for me in an area like Los Angeles. Perhaps, in a more remote location, it might be different.
No, I am not a paid advertiser for Uniden, but when folks are considering what scanners to buy, this feature should be considered, especially in radio-dense areas.
Steve AA6IO
I was in the market for a 396xt but the 436 caught my eyes I live in los angeles I listen to lapd sheriffs and chp I hoping to make my decision tonight which to buy give me more input some people same the receive on the 436 is not like the 396xt can you help me out

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
scma127,
You will get different answers depending on who you talk to. Both are very good scanners. I have both the 396XT and 436HP. I find the 436HP more useful here in LA (Cerritos) for the same reasons I mentioned in my OP about the service types on/off ease. Many people, including myself, are disappointed that the Analyze features for 436HP are not out yet, but when they do come out, that will also be big plus. I use the analyze features on my HomePatrol all the time to check out the trunking sites here in Los Angeles/Orange County/SBDO,
At one time, I thought the 396XT might be more sensitive on some channels, but in retrospect, probably not. I switch a lot between the 396XT and 436HP when away from the house. One advantage of the 396XT is it is lighter, smaller, and easier to walk around with. But back to the 436HP, it also has replay and record. That is a huge advantage for me over the 396XT.
If I go somewhere with wife or friends, I'll bring the 436HP, let it record on something, chit-chat for a few hours, come back, and can replay all kinds of stuff that happened over a few hours in a matter of a few minutes. Finally, I think the digital decode is better on the 436HP. Not much for LAPD, ICIS, but big difference for Orange County P25.
The 436HP is of course, a bit more expensive than 396XT, but I think it is worth it. Again, you will hear different opinions. If I could only buy one of the scanners, it would be the 436HP. You will really appreciate the 436HP if you travel and can just enter a zipcode and listen. Have had mine in Vegas and Phoenix where daughter lives and works great there.
Steve AA6IO

Status
Not open for further replies.