Would you purchase a new Uniden Scannner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ratboy

Premium Subscriber
I wouldn't buy either of the new models, they are a train wreck, IMHO, but I wouldn't pass up a deal on a 396XT if I had some cash to spare.

JackdAnderson

Got a new 536hp on June 16 that has run 24/7 and have not had any problems at all. Also have a BC895xlt and no problems with that. I have had other Uniden scanners too and no problems so I'm pleased and Will buy more.

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
I wouldn't buy either of the new models, they are a train wreck, IMHO, but I wouldn't pass up a deal on a 396XT if I had some cash to spare.

I got a 396XT a few months ago. An excellent scanner. I highly recommend it.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I got a 436HP and don't regret it. It's not perfect, but that doesn't mean it won't do what I bought it to do well.

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
Have one 436HP and two 536HPs. Not perfect, some features missing, but best scanners that I have owned so far in terms of flexible programming, P25 decode quality, lots of information on screen, and built-in recording. I sometimes go back to my 396XT/PRO-106 and 996XT/PRO-197 (hardly ever to my HomePatrol) but always seem to come back to the new Unidens. I'm even thinking about purchasing another 436HP.
You can get away with analog scanners, non-trunking, ... in some areas nowadays. But for folks serious about digital trunking scanning, I believe they are the best thing available for the price.
Everyone keeps waiting for Whistler, but so far I just see 7 or 8 year-old PRO-106/PSR-500
and PRO-197/PSR-600 technology. And if the PSR-800 clone shows up, there is no way that will match up to the 436HP with all its flexibility.
Steve AA6IO

woody_46

I bought a 436 and would do it over again. I would buy a 536 too if I had the cash. It's the nature of the beast to complain about issues we find but no scanner is perfect (either are the users lol.).

However it was/is a mistake by Uniden to take so long to enable the missing features. They are a key selling point to many people.

I think we should let Uniden know our opinions of the current scanners the have for sale.

Yes.Ill be getting an X36 before Halloween,not sure which,handheld or base..As well as another PSR500..For the love of the 500s platform.

To me,and this is just my humble opinion..Having WIFI and a smartphone app is tantamount to buying a Porsche with a built in toaster oven. Then when the toaster oven is not working right dumping the entire car.

The analyze feature is a much different story. I could use that. But I also have SDR/Unitrunker/DSD to fall back on. But this feature seems like it should be taking priority to get out there over the App & wifi..Im my opinion.

Ive recently (10 months back) scooped the 396XT & 996XT and am happy,very happy with both.

The DMA was strange to adjust to coming from Object Oriented memory..But Its easy to adapt to.

In short,the failure to put out the radios with what was advertised as functioning,and the response or lack there of from uniden puzzles me. But they will get it right - eventually. And the success and quality of the 15X,996XT,396XT leave me with a good feeling.

Now,,If I bought a new RV/Motorhome and the oven,fridge and TV didnt work,,Then Id be steamed..

WQPW689

Would I Purchase

Yes. I have three of them now, including a 536 that's a couple of months old and the 436 I got a few days ago. I find them to be good quality products and they work just fine for my purposes. I can live without the two missing features that comprise the bulk (though not all) of the complaints I see.

That said, I think Uniden may have to rethink what they promise in future models. I see no reason to think they won't after some of the negative feedback.

kb8rvp

I have and I would. I own the BCD436HP and the BCD536HP and both are my primary scanners one in the car and one to carry. In the past I have had a real hard time picking up the Genesee County Simulcast system in Flint Michigan. I often thought it would be nice if we could get a scanner that would just cover one band like a 700-800MHz trunking scanner. Most of the traffic I listen to has all gone to 800MHz anyway. It would be more like the professional radios and maybe it would work better on simulcast systems and be less prone to front end overload and have better filtering. Well as far as I am concerned this is as close as we can get right now. The new Uniden scanners still picks up other bands (not as good as older scanners) but really excels in the 800MHz trunking using the RS 800MHz rubber duck.

I have been going to events in Flint Michigan for years and none of my other scanners ever did a very good job on simulcast but the 436HP just works. I hear every transmission loud and clear no matter my location in the county it’s just awesome and I love it... Thanks Uniden you hit the nail on the head for me.

I still have my PSR-800 and I love it at home which I have a non-simulcast tower nearby. But when I am mobile in the car the 436HP is my only choice because we have so many cell towers that cause issues with my PSR-800 I leave it at home. I also have the 396XT at home and it works fine too but not when I head north into the simulcast areas again I leave it home.

Good Luck to all and I hope you're as lucky as me to find a scanner that works at your location.

Mike

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
I would buy another 536 in a heartbeat. And I just might when I get back from vacation. Is it perfect? No. Does it do what I need it to do? YES. I had Mac problems but I have solved them once and for all. Both radios fire up nicely on VMWare. My 536 ride the dashboard with the GPS and my 436 is a constant companion. I have my 436 in front of me as I write this. My 996xt is at my desk. I am selling my last two Pro 197 radios.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Yes. I just purchased the BCD436HP and I'm considering a BCD536HP. The current issues being discussed are not a concern for me. I wouldn't use the features that haven't been implemented yet.

The BCD436HP solved the simulcast issues that I was having with previous scanners, when monitoring Michigan's MSPCS. The other new features are great!

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
Glad you wrote that about the MSpCS as I will be driving from New York to Wisconsin in a week and stopping in mackinaw city. The pro 197 had a hard time with MSP. My 536 gets the real test next week.

mrkelso

Yes but not when they first come out. Never again after the last 2. I waited until last month to purchase my Homepatrol (an absolutely wonderful scanner) since the last beta firmware. SO if uniden comes up with a new model i will wait it out.

Next on my list will be one of the new whistlers but i will wait for a while once they come out.

mitbr

I own the 536hp.Here in Pinellas County FL my 996xt suffered from simulcast issues on the county 800 system. No longer a problem with the 536hp crystal clear. No motor boating in the ear jack on digital decode either.
I do 800mhz system dxing here using a large 800 MHz Yagi ant.Here in FL we often have skip conditions via temperature inversions and tropo. With the 536hp and the full data base this is real easy to do. Simply punch in the distant areas zip code and it loads the systems into the scanner. Cant do that with the 996xt.

I really like the favorites list ability as well. No mater how I program my 996xt I find the 536hp is hearing more do its versatility in data setup.

The priority scan ability on both conv and trunked systems is better than the 996xt and the hp1 I have doesn't have it at all.
Setting a priority talk group on the 536hp is great and works vary well.

All and all the 536hp is the best scanner I have ever owned and I have about 20 scanners.
Would I buy it again....absolutely!!!!
Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.