436 vs 536 sensitivity

Status
Not open for further replies.

wa2sqq

I'd wait ...

I do not own a 436, but I do own the 536. There are a few discussions going on now about the 536. While I can "hear" the sytems, the current 536 firmware is not as good decoding P25 as earlier models. For example, my 996 has no problems with the Jersey City (Hudson County) system, while the 536 spits and stutters if the signal is below 3 bars on the s meter. My 996 can receive conventional VHF channels using P25 from CT. while the 536 can "hear" the data, it cannot decode it (P25).

Uniden claims to be studying the matter and developing new firmware, just as they are doing for the WiFi app - for the past 11 months! My advice is to stick with what you have and put up a discone antenna fed with good low loss cable. I like my 536, a lot, but I am very disappointed with its P25 performance.

richee2000

Communications Professional
Sea Bright NJ, Livingston NJ, Basking Ridge NJ
agreed on the P-25 performance... and it may have something to do with the problem properly decoding "simulcast" p-25 systems...and i also have issues with phase II p-25 systems (P0, P1) ... same as you said... alot of broken audio, etc. any clue if the new whistler scanners are any better on these issues ?

wa2sqq

But when?

I posted my findings. The site I'm having biggest problem with is listed as simulcast, but it only has one site. I've noted that this only happens on systems in 470 mhz range, NOT 800 mhz.

I'm sure Uniden will eventually fix it, but the question is when?

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Linear Simulcast Distortion.

agreed on the P-25 performance... and it may have something to do with the problem properly decoding "simulcast" p-25 systems...and i also have issues with phase II p-25 systems (P0, P1) ... same as you said... alot of broken audio, etc. any clue if the new whistler scanners are any better on these issues ?

The main reason I bought my 436 was for the better handling of linear simulcast distortion. While this radio is not perfect, it is much better than the choppy & annoying performance of my PSR 500. Hopefully, improvements will be forthcoming on the 436/536.

Bmacs

Premium Subscriber
same same

richee2000,

+1 on wa2sqq's comments. My 536 misses P25 trunked transmissions that my 996XT picks up perfectly - on the same antenna.

I also listen to lots of milair - and the 536 takes considerably longer to "open" the squelch - even when HOLDING on an AM channel.

It's a little disappointing...

Bill

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I posted my findings. The site I'm having biggest problem with is listed as simulcast, but it only has one site.

The RR database only has one site listing for systems that have multiple sites on the same frequency.

richee2000

i just got the 536... actually,,, it works very well...picks up most p-25 and phase II very well...air, vhf/uhf ..all good... no real complaints...speaker sounds too bassy/muddy...much better than the 436 and hp1 and hp2... what area are you in ?

dwiniger

i just got the 536... actually,,, it works very well...picks up most p-25 and phase II very well...air, vhf/uhf ..all good... no real complaints...speaker sounds too bassy/muddy...much better than the 436 and hp1 and hp2... what area are you in ?

So. My readings reflect that you had issues with the HP2. Still glad you moved over to the 536? I thought you already had one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AC2OY

Wow you like the 536 over the HP-2? I get the muddy speaker but I saw a video of the HP-2 decoding the NJICS system and it sounded pritty good. I must have my p-25 settings all wrong. Good to hear Rich I must do some adjusting!!!

richee2000

when I had the HP2 , it did hear the NJICS system just fine..but, the other system I needed was the somerset county TRS, which it could not decode properly. And it was not all that good on VHF, UHF , 800, etc... The 536 hears those much better.

AC2OY

Yes the UHF/VHF perfect example for me Newark Police come in very crisp but like you stated the p-25 phase 2 stuff not so good. I saw somewhere where somebody had trouble with Jersey City for me they came in very good. I guess out diffrent locations make our receptions vary.

stingray327

I do not own a 436, but I do own the 536. There are a few discussions going on now about the 536. While I can "hear" the sytems, the current 536 firmware is not as good decoding P25 as earlier models. For example, my 996 has no problems with the Jersey City (Hudson County) system, while the 536 spits and stutters if the signal is below 3 bars on the s meter. My 996 can receive conventional VHF channels using P25 from CT. while the 536 can "hear" the data, it cannot decode it (P25).

Uniden claims to be studying the matter and developing new firmware, just as they are doing for the WiFi app - for the past 11 months! My advice is to stick with what you have and put up a discone antenna fed with good low loss cable. I like my 536, a lot, but I am very disappointed with its P25 performance.

What is problem or the decoding problem of P-25? What does it sound like? Is it like a very clear improved signal but it breaks up and can be difficult to understand what is being said even though the signal strenght is very powerful?

n2pqq

Premium Subscriber
I live in Orange County and have no
problem picking up the New Jersey
Interoperability system with my 536.
As for audio I use a bearcat external
Speaker and it sounds great.

The hp-2 would not decode the system
at all.
Same antenna same location.

It was with great reluctance that I returned
It.
Was I just unlucky to receive a bad hp-2.
Only the scanner gods know the answer
to that.

stingray327

I live in Orange County and have no
problem picking up the New Jersey
Interoperability system with my 536.
As for audio I use a bearcat external
Speaker and it sounds great.

The hp-2 would not decode the system
at all.
Same antenna same location.

It was with great reluctance that I returned
It.
Was I just unlucky to receive a bad hp-2.
Only the scanner gods know the answer
to that.

wHAT IS Interoperability system?

Status
Not open for further replies.