If you're in the market for an HP-2...

Status
Not open for further replies.

NWI_Scanner_Guy

SCANNING THE AIRWAVES SINCE 1987
... Ham Radio Outlet has them for $519.95 thru the end of the month.

No, I'm not affiliated with HRO; just passing along what I think it a pretty decent price.

:)

AC2OY

Glad this thread is here, a friend of mine sent me a link to a video showing a Home Patrol on New Jersey's Interop system....I have to say it sounded far superior than my 536 on that system. I'm not sure if I can get my scanner to sound that good on systems like that which I mainly monitor.

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
Got my HP2 from HRO Anaheim for $519. Free shipping. Although I only live 4 miles from there and went and picked it up. So I guess I should count the "gas" to get there. Seriously, it works very well. Better audio and P25 decode than my HP1. Not as feature rich as the 436HP/536HP with regard to flexibility with keys, priority, close-call, or some other features.
But the color display and analyze function are worth it, and this will probably go into my car rather than my 436HP just for the display feature. Overall, I give a thumbs up to the HP2 after 4 days. But when I travel, both the 436HP and HP2 will come with me. Each has features that compliment each other. Different tools for different needs.
Steve AA6IO

sibbley

Premium Subscriber
Got my HP2 from HRO Anaheim for $519. Free shipping. Although I only live 4 miles from there and went and picked it up. So I guess I should count the "gas" to get there. Seriously, it works very well. Better audio and P25 decode than my HP1. Not as feature rich as the 436HP/536HP with regard to flexibility with keys, priority, close-call, or some other features.
But the color display and analyze function are worth it, and this will probably go into my car rather than my 436HP just for the display feature. Overall, I give a thumbs up to the HP2 after 4 days. But when I travel, both the 436HP and HP2 will come with me. Each has features that compliment each other. Different tools for different needs.
Steve AA6IO

I've had my HP 2 a week today. All I can say is I am very happy I decided to buy it. I even splurged and bought the extreme upgrade. I agree with you assessment, the HP 2 and 436HP do compliment each other very well. I love the color display and the touch screen. The decode and audio are excellent.

Thanks Uniden!

sibbley

Premium Subscriber
Would you have considered a 536?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would not have considered buying a 536HP. The unit doesn't offer anything I didn't already have in the 436HP. I really wasn't even planning on buying the HP 2. I was going to wait for the Whistler 1095. I may still buy one of those too.

I always liked the layout of the HP 1. Especially the color touch screen. Only thing that kept me from buying one was no priority channels. In thinking about it, I decided I didn't need the priority. So I jumped in knowing buying a new unit when it first came out might be a bad idea, again.

I am completely happy with my decision and I only have the HP 2 a week. I thought the digital decode of the 436 was great. IMHO, the HP 2 is much better.

dwiniger

Appreciate your comments. I just can't decide since this my first scanner and I can only afford one. I live in zip 46033. I listen to my 5-0 App all the time for listening to nearby Indy. Works great. 46033 is not available on the App due to blackout law.

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
I was initially contacted by Jeff at Ham Station about a week ago to try out the HP-2 on P25 phase 2 here in Los Angeles, but since we don't have much Phase 2 activity yet (systems are just getting up and running, but with hardly any traffic), I didn't think I could be of much help. However, you have seen a few of my comments about the HP-2 above. Bought mine at HRO because I happened to be over there last week for something else. But I do know that Jeff can get you a pretty good price. Bought my 1080 from Ham Station and was extremely pleased with service. I intend to buy the 1095, when available, from Ham Station. (No I am not a hired hand).
Steve AA6IO

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
I would have recommended the 536HP or 436HP over the HP1 because I think the P25 decode is better on the x36HPs. However, the learning curve on the x36HPs is much higher. But now with the HP-2, I find the P25 decode is probably equal to my x36HPs here in Los Angeles, and the audio sounds better. Throw in the color display of the HP2, which neither of the x36HPs have, and then the availability of the "analyze" features for another $50, and its a pretty good deal.
For a first time scanner, you probably can't go too wrong with the HP-2. Don't know how far you are from Ham Station, but I see you are in Indiana. You might want to try one out and see how it works on your particular systems. Especially if you are going to use this in a car, the HP-2 might be a good choice. The only scanners I would recommend now a days are the 436HP, 536HP, HP2, and the Whistler 1080. They all have P25 phase 2 capability, and they all use allow use of a built-in database for all of the USA and Canada. Even though you probably won't want to use the whole database for your region, having that ability is really (really) useful. All the other scanners in my list below other than those mentioned are older. Most are great scanners, but the technology changes. JohnnyDollar (another RRDB member) has several YouTube videos of a P2 system in Chicago with his WS-1080.
I would stay away from any scanner that does not have phase II capability if you're thinking long-term use.
Steve AA6IO

dwiniger

Great advice and much appreciated. I was concerned as apparently the HP2 does not have a particular filter and that is suppose to be a deal breaker vs the 536. NFM?

sibbley

Premium Subscriber
Great advice and much appreciated. I was concerned as apparently the HP2 does not have a particular filter and that is suppose to be a deal breaker vs the 536. NFM?

I too had this concern. Since receiving the HP 2, I don't think it matters much. While I don't have a 536, the HP 2 is on par with the 436, if not better. IMHO, the HP 2 is pretty good on conventional analog too.

Just another item to consider. I've had issue with the 436 keys hanging up while monitoring a Phase 2 system. You press a key and nothing happens for a while. I've read the 536 also has this problem. If I remember correctly, Upman mentioned a second cpu was added to the HP 2 for Phase 2. There are definitely no issues with the touch keys while monitoring a Phase 2 system.

sshermanmd has a good point. If you can get to the Ham Station, maybe you can see how each unit works on your local systems. Have you asked for input over in the Indiana forums? You might get some good input to narrow down the options for your local systems.

I know each of these radios have their troubles (I haven't found the HP 2's yet). IMHO, I don't think you could go wrong with whatever you choose. x36HP series, HP 2, or Whistler 1080.

dwiniger

Wow. Just did. They are trashing a new issue for the HP1. eBay about to get more units !!!!

sibbley

Premium Subscriber
Wow. Just did. They are trashing a new issue for the HP1. eBay about to get more units !!!!

Sounds like the HP 2 has the same issue as the HP 1 on that particular system. There's that NFM filter you mentioned.

From what I was reading over there, the x36 series is the your best bet.

Status
Not open for further replies.