BCD436HP Is it worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oyabun

Premium Subscriber
Looking at getting one(BCD436HP). I prefer a handheld. Is it worth the money? With all the problems I've been reading about with the clock and memory cards. I'm looking for something that can decode P25 phase II. Any help would be great! Thanks in advance!

bailly2

it is if your trying to receive a trunked system and getting simulcast distortion because they are using LSM simulcast modulation

Wally46

Feed Provider
I've never had a problem with mine. I listen to it everyday and I would buy it again. But like with any product on earth there are going to be those negative few.

richf2295

Premium Subscriber
Listen to mine everyday, easy to program and use
I've always owned Bearcar or uniden scanners and have never had a problem.

Lifesafer

Premium Subscriber
Got mine for Christmas and have not had one problem with it. I listen to it everyday.

osros

Feed Provider
Had mine for a couple weeks now very happy with it, but my needs are not demanding so a bit of overkill but I got it to travel with also and wanted as much capabilities as possible. Nice unit not as big as some complain about, it does a lot decent size and light. At this price I recommend a cover hate to scratch that display.

The clock needs time to charge from the Usb, not the batteries so plug it in for a couple days to charge that internal clock battery if there is any other issue I'm not aware. I heard of the memory card issues ahead of my purchase and ordered a new class 10 16Gig SD and replaced the factory SD on the first day. No issues so far.

Last edited:

Voyager

Almost two months ago, I was reprogramming my BCD996XT for a new purpose, and I was amazed at the limitations on number of channels, text tag limits, TG limits, and the like.

The point? You never realize how much better the x36 models are until you are put into the situation of having to go back to older models. Yes, they are absolutely worth it. In addition to the above limits being practically gone, you have the Department/Site Quick Keys and Replay/Recording features - two of my most-used features, and some I miss on the older models. You also have the great text tags that show SO much more than the older models.

Don't get me wrong - the older models are still excellent, but they have limitations that you don't have on the x36 models. About the only feature I miss from the 396XT is the size. The 436 is much larger - mostly due to the screen size, I think.

Oyabun

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the replies guys! I'm still thinking. But your replies are making it easier!
A couple more questions?
So the clock problem... Was it due to a bad batch of batteries?
Have they sorted it out yet?
Also what about the memory card snafu? I read about the fact that the record function is always recording with no way to turn off the feature. Since it is always writing to the card. Will I have to keep a few new cards on hand? Was thinking if I get a 32G or 64G card it would be awhile before I'd have to replace it.
Can they handle cards that big?

Voyager

I'm using a 32 GB SanDisk Ultra card (gray and red). I don't know if it supports 64 GB cards or not. Those familiar with the file system say it should, but Uniden only guarantees up to 32 GB cards for some reason. I would recommend sticking with SanDisk, as I've heard other brands may have issues. Treat that as a rumor since I don't have first hand experience with it. I stuck with SanDisk "just in case". They are also a name brand.

Jury is out on the clock issues. Not sure why only some people have the issues. Could be a bad batch of batteries.

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
Almost two months ago, I was reprogramming my BCD996XT for a new purpose, and I was amazed at the limitations on number of channels, text tag limits, TG limits, and the like.
Don't get me wrong - the older models are still excellent, but they have limitations that you don't have on the x36 models. About the only feature I miss from the 396XT is the size. The 436 is much larger - mostly due to the screen size, I think.

I agree with Voyager completely. The 396XT and 996XT are excellent scanners. But once you get used to the features of the x36HPs, it is hard for me to go back. The 396XT is smaller than the 436HP, which has some advantage. However, I can't tell you how many times I have been in my car or out walking with the 436HP, heard something interesting, and wondered what channel or TG was that. With the 396XT, no way to really know for sure. With the 436HP, simply press the replay, and there it is; not only the audio, but all the channel/TG information. I also love the amount of information that can be displayed. The 436HP will only get better once some of the new firmware is available. Same for the 536HP when the Wi-Fi gets going.
I own many scanners, but the two I would buy again tomorrow (if I had to) would be the 436HP and 536HP.
Steve AA6IO

rhalld38

I got mine a few months ago and only had two problems with SD card. What I did was each time it would come up with some kind of error message I believe it was I would take the batteries out of the radio and take out the SD card and then put it back in and after that I did not have a problem with it again on the second time. What I like abou the radio it does have good audio, I like the display, and the reception to me is great on digital and analog. I live in northern IL. and I have picked up Chicago PD on a mobile scanner antenna in my apartment and even on a handheld antenna.

Oyabun

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for all the help guys! Still thinking about it!
Updated my firmware & software on my GRE PSR-800.
Love the thing but it's a battery monster! It recieves P25 Phase II.
Kind of want another scanner! Add to the arsenal!!��

tekn0lust

Enjoy my 436

I enjoy my 436. I have not had any technical issues. Wish there was a permanent power source option since mine travels 25% of the time.

budevans

Thanks for all the help guys! Still thinking about it!
Updated my firmware & software on my GRE PSR-800.
Love the thing but it's a battery monster! It recieves P25 Phase II.
Kind of want another scanner! Add to the arsenal!!��

One comment regarding the PSR-800 being a battery monster. A friend of mine has a PSR-800 and did some battery testing with some new eneloops 2500 mAh. The batteries (both his and mine) were preconditioned using external chargers (Maha and Lacrosse). His batteries were new sets of eneloops 2500mAh, mine were the Uniden included batteries 2300 mAh and a set of new Duracell 2400 mAh ION Core.

He found the PSR-800 gets 12 plus hours per charge.

My 436 gets 8h:40m per charge on average.

So 12hrs vs 8:40. Which is pretty much in line with the 800 using 4 batteries and the 436 using 3 batteries. Similar results on per battery basis.

So if the PSR-800 is a battery monster. What would you call the 436?

FYI, I like the 436. For my location it does a superior job on one Simulcast system that gives my GRE-500 fits. It was well worth the purchase price.

Oyabun

Premium Subscriber
Thanks budevans: I'll have to try the eneloops! I've been using Lenmar 2700's and pre conditioning them on my Maya wizard one. Picked up the 436! So far I love it. I haven't tried making any custom FL yet. Just made one on the radio by using the full database that's in the radio. So far so good! I've have about 20+ hours if fiddling around with it so far! Next ill hook it up to the laptop and try playing with Sentinal. First thing I did was to make a duplicate memory card. Used a 32 Gig card and put the original card in the case as a back up.

Drkatzjr45

Emeritus Member
Premium Subscriber
Not Worth It

The simple and obvious answer (after you read the --extensive negative comments-- by others in the forum,
and even Uniden itself apologizing for significant delays to fixes, as well as my personal experience
with it, is no...it is NOT worth it.

I have had so many issues with this scanner, I honestly do not have the time to list them.

Uniden knows, I promise you, that this truly was.... a real "low point" in their business acumen.

In my opinion, the 396XT is the best scanner Uniden has produced, especially in terms of quality control.

I would investigate it; I could not be more content with mine.,...

Last edited by a moderator:

Oyabun

Premium Subscriber
drkatzjr: Thanks for your input! Only problem with the 396xt is it does not work on with P25 phase 2. My area is partially phase 2 already. With the rest to convert in the up coming year or two.
So far I like the BCD436HP. It has worked good so far.

Drkatzjr45

Emeritus Member
Premium Subscriber
I was going to comment....that if there is indeed a specific system that you are needing to monitor,
then that is a different issue. In that specific case, I can completely understand...

Voyager

And what about all the other things the 436 does better than the 396?

Such as:
* Recording and replay capabilities built-in
* Display of much longer text tags
* System/Department/Site/Channel hold keys to quickly hold.
* Much improved alert light
* Much improved DMA memory - allows nearly unlimited data
* Zip code entry (for selecting what you scan)
* Selectable range entry
* Holds the entire USA RR database
* 100 Department/Site Quick Keys (up from 10 Group Quick Keys)
* 100 Favorite List Quick Keys for quick changing of multiple Systems

And of course P25 Phase II which was already mentioned.

In fact, the only thing I find that the 396 has going for it is the size factor.

Yes, some people have had issues with their units, but the vast majority do not. I think you're falling into a common trap in believing that a vocal minority outnumber a silent majority.

In fact, many complaints come back to simple user error. NOT all, but most.

And yes, I realize that I just made myself a target for the haters... again. Go ahead, haters... call names and whine.

Status
Not open for further replies.