Uniden BCD396XT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pili

I'm thinking about purchasing the Uniden BCD396XT and wondered what other users think about this model?

marksmith

I have a couple of them, used since 2009 and think they are great radios. Depends where you are and what systems are around you whether I would recommend.

I still use one almost daily, but with P25 Phase 2 coming out and the 325p2 now on the market this would be a better choice if you have Phase 2 systems in your area as the 396xt cannot decode phase 2. Otherwiae, they are the same radio, though I believe the 325p2 is slightly more sensitive and decodes digital transmissions a little smoother. Also uses BNC antenna as opposed to SMA.

The 996xt has been discontinued so I expect the 396xt also has been, even though there are still stocks of both out there.

Mark
WS1095/536/996P2/HP1e/HP2e/996XT/325P2/396XT/PRO668/PSR800/PRO652

Pili

I just unfortunately learned that our State went to the Phase II system, and how realize I purchased the wrong scanner. =(

tumegpc

Premium Subscriber
I feel that 396XT is Uniden's best handheld scanner. Nice display and audio in a compact form that won't set you back too much.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I am quite pleased with my 396XT, which I've had ever since they came out. The only exception is when I'm listening to a P25 simulcast system. Depending on where I am, I'll get some garbled audio.

If you do any appreciable amount of travel and like to bring a scanner along, you'll have programming to do.

teufler

through the use of Freescan, programming is not hard at all. Pretty much point, click, save, and upload to the scanner. You will learn about quick keys where you can store several states around you, then select or deselect what you want or do not want to listen to..

Voyager

The 396XT is a time tested unit with few issues. The 325P2 is built on the same platform, but using a different form factor.

walter900

I am also very interested in BCD396XT..... The upgraded BCD996P2 mobile looks fantastic and seems to be a mobile version of the 396 with P2........ I don't see why Uniden couldn't upgrade the BCD396XT into a similar newer HH model and keep the 396's size and multi color display as they did with the BCD996P2.... IMO.... The 325P2 just looks awfull.... It's based off of the cheap 125 which (IMO) also looks just awfull.... Uniden should have upgraded the 396 to P2 and kept the same case, multi color display and give it a new model number.......... That would have been a "Winner Winner Chicken Dinner" all day long..... Am I the only one that feels this way??

justabigham

Premium Subscriber
I just bought a BCD325P2 and yes it is different. It only uses 2 AA batteries. But after using it a few days I love it. The display is much more readable for my aging eyes. And it receives P25 phase II very well....

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
I am also very interested in BCD396XT..... The upgraded BCD996P2 mobile looks fantastic and seems to be a mobile version of the 396 with P2........ I don't see why Uniden couldn't upgrade the BCD396XT into a similar newer HH model and keep the 396's size and multi color display as they did with the BCD996P2.... IMO.... The 325P2 just looks awfull.... It's based off of the cheap 125 which (IMO) also looks just awfull.... Uniden should have upgraded the 396 to P2 and kept the same case, multi color display and give it a new model number.......... That would have been a "Winner Winner Chicken Dinner" all day long..... Am I the only one that feels this way??
I totally agree with you.

Voyager

Funny. One one side you have people saying the displays are too small, and on the other you have some saying they want the smaller displays.

I personally find the 325 display more readable, but I would have liked the 396XT-esque backlight alerts. Or better yet the settable backlight color with the separate alert LED ala 536 (around the scroll knob) and the user option to select LED, display, or both for the alerts.

Status
Not open for further replies.