BCD536HP vs. HP2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyberteq

Premium Subscriber
Looking to get another scanner for P25 monitoring. Trying to decide between the two above. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MStep

Looking to get another scanner for P25 monitoring. Trying to decide between the two above. Thoughts?

Two completely different animals. Form factors for one. Bells & whistles for two. The 536 is more advanced in terms of features and functions--- too many differences to list here. For base and mobile use, the 536 is great if you have the room to mount it. If you are looking for something designed more like a dashboard GPS unit with a much smaller footprint and minus some of the features, then the HP2.

Cyberteq

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for that. Should I be looking at the BCD996P2 as well?

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
The BCD996P2 is an option. It's size is the same as the 536.

I'm more partial to the 536 because it has more memory capacity and keeping the programming current is much easier. The Siren App feature is also pretty nice because I can listen to my scanner in different areas of the house.

Blackswan73

I have both. The 536 was supposed to be the flagship of the Uniden line. However, in my experience, the HP2 blows the 536 away. The display, is larger and way easier to see than the 536. The audio on the HP2 is crisp and clear, while the 536 is often muffled, and bassy, even when operating it upside down so the speaker is on top. And finally, the sensitivity of the HP2 is better than the 536. I was so disappointed with the 536, I purchased a 1095, which also blows it away, and is on par with my HP2. The 536 is loaded with lots of bells and whistles, but just don't deliver.

Cyberteq

Premium Subscriber
Great feedback. I really love the idea of using the siren app. Decisions!

gcopter1

Premium Subscriber
The 536 has a full keyboard, priority listening, start up configurable and wi-fi for the siren app. The HP2 has that beautiful color display and is more portable. These are the major differences that come to mind right now. I too, be hard pressed to choose. You really need to think about the differences in both and make up your mind between function and looks. If you think you will not need to manipulate the radio as much, meaning, you turn it on, crank up the volume and let the scanner do its thing, then, HP2. However, if you like tinkering with turning stuff on and off, changing settings, then the 536 because of the full keyboard.

zzzhopperzzz

Upman, Thanks for your vigilance!

Upman, I know the road was rocky getting the bcd536hp up and functioning correctly.. I have to say the wait was well worth it!! Exploring the features of this complex radio has been an educational experience.. I've been scanning for over 40 years, so I'm attached to the "old school" ways.. This "dynamic" series of scanners is, certainly, the future.. Although the 536 is complex, and the early units had the "expected" beta problems, I am really enjoying hearing and gathering information that I haven't heard in some time.. I'm glad I waited for the problems to be solved, I have had my new bcd536hp for about 2 weeks now.. I am amazed at the features, (my last new radio was the UBC9000xlt).. Is there a way to change the treble/bass on the speaker tone? I haven't seen one.. I would really like to see a "SEARCH" feature in the Sentinel software, so I could seek-out certain frequency, (by frequency), groups much more easily... Thanks Upman, for hanging in there amongst the many "early beta" complaints! I can certainly tell that you listened to past "wants"! A very well "thought-out" structure! Barry

Last edited:

Voyager

Keep in mind most of the issues are exaggerated. About the only one is the one Ed mentioned, and it is true that the "future release date" hasn't arrived yet. But there are plenty of alternatives.

safetyobc

I like the 536 out of those 2. I like the 996P2 as well but it doesn't have on board recording which is a great feature! Good luck!

It's been awhile since the last release of latest Uniden scanners. How often Uniden releases newer toys. :) i love 996P2 ..

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
It's been awhile since the last release of latest Uniden scanners. How often Uniden releases newer toys. :) i love 996P2 ..

It's been about a year since the 996P2 was released. It varies, but I wouldn't expect any new digital models for at least a couple of years.

SouthernRoller

Premium Subscriber
With the BCD536Hp supposedly being Unidens flagship model, why is Amazon selling them cheaper than the Hp2 model?

Status
Not open for further replies.