RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners, Receivers and Related Equipment Forums > Uniden Forums > Uniden Prospective Owners

Uniden Prospective Owners - A discussion area for those interested in purchasing specific models and have questions about them.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-29-2016, 10:27 PM

Love the HP 2
Old 05-30-2016, 7:47 PM

I have the 436HP in my car. Here's what I don't like about it (in no particular order)....

1) The audio is low. I've always had it connected to a powered external speaker (BC23A) and I've had to set all of my analog conventional channels to V+3 and the volume set to at least 10, sometimes as high as 12 (depending on the wind). When I was using the 396XT connected to the same speaker, I typically set the volume to about 5 or 6.

2) The screen is difficult to see, mostly due to the glossy screen and mediocre backlighting. The 396XT has a matte-like finish to the screen and was far less prone to glare. Backlighting was also much better.

I haven't tried the HP-2 but I already know from it's size that it wouldn't really work in my car. The 436 fits in the same spot I had my 396.
Old 05-30-2016, 10:01 PM
Database Administrator
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I own both, and have tried both in my truck, currently I have a HP1 in my truck, HP2 next to my desk, and a 436HP that I keep in my backpack.

If you don't have any other scanners, get the 436HP because the HP2 will not be upgradeable to receive DMR.

I have had to hook both up to external powered speakers when driving on the highway because of wind and road noise, and I agree with ShyFlyer that the 436HP has a glare when mounted high. I folded paper to create a glare block and held it on with a bit of tape.

HP's in the RAM Mount is the best way to go IMHO, unless you don't have a digital scanner already, then buy the 436 because of the extreme features built in, and the $50 DMR upgrade or Provoice upgrade that are not available for the HP2.

Find me on Twitter: @Thundermedic

If I PM you about a submission, please reply promptly or your submission may be rejected.
Old 05-31-2016, 6:30 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I have an HP2 in my Escape, but also connected to an amplified speaker. Without the speaker and sitting in the cupholder mount, the audio is just fine.
Old 05-31-2016, 3:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thundermedic View Post
I own both, and have tried both in my truck, currently I have a HP1 in my truck, HP2 next to my desk, and a 436HP that I keep in my backpack.

If you don't have any other scanners, get the 436HP because the HP2 will not be upgradeable to receive DMR.

I have had to hook both up to external powered speakers when driving on the highway because of wind and road noise, and I agree with ShyFlyer that the 436HP has a glare when mounted high. I folded paper to create a glare block and held it on with a bit of tape.

HP's in the RAM Mount is the best way to go IMHO, unless you don't have a digital scanner already, then buy the 436 because of the extreme features built in, and the $50 DMR upgrade or Provoice upgrade that are not available for the HP2.
Do we know that DMR and ProVoice won't be coming to the HP2? Seems like it could be possible.
Old 05-31-2016, 4:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmoon View Post
Do we know that DMR and ProVoice won't be coming to the HP2? Seems like it could be possible.
The only people that know if any other scanners besides the x36HP line are capable of being upgraded at those at Uniden. They aren't talking.

Now, assuming for the moment that the HP-2, 325P2, and/or 996P2 can be upgraded, it's still only known to Uniden insider if it will happen.

Personally, I don't see any other scanner getting ProVoice, DMR, or any other add-on protocol. Uniden wants to drive customers to the flagship scanners.
Old 06-15-2016, 5:34 PM

Truth be told...the only one I own is a 436. I negated my audio problem by buying a $6 AUX cord and plugged it into my stereo. Now it plays through my car speakers. Personally, when I put the 436 in my cupholder I can see the screen pretty darn good. All that and the fact that we have Provoice and DMR...my choice is made!

It's light years ahead of my last scanner...a PRO-92!
Old 08-14-2016, 9:15 AM

Repost from another thread.

Personally I am at a loss because I own an HP-1 and it has been nothing but trouble from day one. I was interested in the HP-2 but there are too many things about it that just don't work for a long term radio in my truck. Don't get me wrong, I love the style/ format of the HP series.

Come on is it really a good radio to use as a portable? No, it is bulky and the batteries do not last long.
On the HP-2 they went to a micro USB as the charging input. I have not had a cell phone that had one that held up a full year that is why i went to a charging pad so they would charge. ( I noticed in another thread there is a 3-4 week wait for repairs already because of this)
The so called data port (micro USB) on my HP-1 has never worked (even with your special cable) and I have always just unmounted the SD card and updated the programming by inserting into my computer, easy.
The external speaker/ headphone jack... Come on guys every phone manufacturer has the ability to drop the volume by at least 1/3 when anything is plugged in but you cannot make the jack produce adequate volume because someone is too stupid to turn down the volume?
The SMA antenna connector on the HP-1 constantly comes loose and has had to be repaired several times because of loss in reception where it breaks the solder joints on the board.
The HP series requires that you purchase a separate mount and probably more depending on how it is mounted, I have almost $40.00 invested in mounts already.
Lately you will see it stop on channels without any audio which means powering down the radio and powering back up just to get audio out again.

I was interested in getting rid of the HP-1 and replacing it with the BCD536HP but there are posts of it being a disaster also and I never had good luck with a handheld in a vehicle. I just cannot afford to pour money down the drain.

Just so you know my first Bearcat was an Electra back in the 70's and I have updated as needed and really hate the thought of moving to another brand, but unreliability and high cost is a big issue.
Old 08-14-2016, 11:27 AM

Get the HP-3 when it comes out for Christmas!
Old 08-14-2016, 11:38 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

If you're having simulcast issues, you might consider the Unication G5. Currently, it only supports Phase 1, but Phase 2 is suppose to be in the works. I really like mine. I'm able to hear tons more stuff in my car. I was missing a lot of traffic with Uniden and Whistler scanners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvacs View Post
Butch - I get that - that is why I switched initially from the HP-2 to the 536hp for home - I live in a Simulcast area of Phase 1 trunking. I will just have to make a hard decision.
Old 08-26-2017, 10:03 PM

Default ...a year later...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonefishn1 View Post
Get the HP-3 when it comes out for Christmas!
...and no HP-3. Any hints of when it comes out?
Old 08-27-2017, 8:23 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedtoKnow2 View Post
...and no HP-3. Any hints of when it comes out?
Uniden has not made any mention of an HP-3 scanner even being considered for development. They are the only ones that would know.
Old 10-01-2017, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxdscon View Post
Uniden has not made any mention of an HP-3 scanner even being considered for development. They are the only ones that would know.
I'm wishing for a 536 hp type scanner but with a homepatrol type display.
Old 10-01-2017, 11:12 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenScan View Post
If you're having simulcast issues, you might consider the Unication G5. Currently, it only supports Phase 1, but Phase 2 is suppose to be in the works. I really like mine. I'm able to hear tons more stuff in my car. I was missing a lot of traffic with Uniden and Whistler scanners.
If simulcast is the question, then the G5 is THE answer! I am extremely happy with mine! Neither the Unidens nor the GRE/Whistler compare on simulcast systems.

I would stay away from the Home Patrol series. It seems to me like they have inferior hardware and there are many, many reports of reception problems.

GTO_04
Old 10-01-2017, 11:46 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by txff5150 View Post
I was interested in getting rid of the HP-1 and replacing it with the BCD536HP but there are posts of it being a disaster also and I never had good luck with a handheld in a vehicle. I just cannot afford to pour money down the drain.
The 436HP (not 536HP, which is a mobile/base unit) is NOT a "disaster". It has a few quirks, but it is one of the best handheld scanners available, hands down.
Old 10-13-2017, 2:13 AM

I had a 436 and sold it for two home patrol 2 scanners. Easy to see color touchscreen and super easy programming. No regrets. I only listen to Police freqs.

The 436 was hard to see while driving.

Using a proclipusa mount on the column in my car.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk
Old 10-13-2017, 5:12 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

My vote is for HP 2 .
Old 10-13-2017, 7:45 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

HIT_Factor, what proclip are you using?
Old 10-13-2017, 9:40 AM

Default HP 2

I ran a mobile HP-2 in my Silverado. The HP-2 mobile mount makes it a snap (literally) to get in and out.
I used a REAL antenna, (NMO mount) Dualband Comet and it worked great.
The mount is about $12 and the radio is stable.
With either radio ANTENNA will always make the difference.
ICOM H-16 (3 )/ U-16/ V-100 / 2100H and misc scanners.