What does the future hold?

Status
Not open for further replies.

familycache

Premium Subscriber
I currently have and use the BCD99T. It seems to work fine/ok as a base unit at home. I am contemplating on the newer BCD536HP for my truck. I already have a gps puck that I purchased for the 996 but never even hooked it up since it stays primarily in the house.

Apparently the BCD536HP has been out at least two and a half years and I didn't know if Uniden planned on releasing another unit anytime soon or if the current platform would just be added to via downloads. If another unit is on the near horizon I would/could wait a few months to 2017. However, if the current platform is expected to be used for some time and have updated software added to it, I wouldn't mind going ahead and getting the 536 for my truck and use my old gps puck for it.

I know that nobody has a crystal ball... but I do know that there are fellas on the forum that have been pretty accurate in their "educated guesses" in the past and I would hope you would want to chime in with your thoughts based upon any previous insights, readings or leaks.

Thanks

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
My Crystal ball states much Encryption in the future due to stupidity. :( 73, n9zas

D

darunimal

More than likely this model/series "BCDx36HP" will continue to utilized as "Thee platform," until 2018. Quite possibly at that time, there maybe a HPIII, released with the addition of DMR and NXDN. Hopefully it will include a larger screen, better "finish write to SD" ability, have at least 4 batteries, as well as Bluetooth, Wifi and an ethernet connection. If not it won't be able to compete with 3rd party streaming flexibility currently available with the current BCD536HP.

But what's most needed in any new receiver is the proper I/O filter to work more reliably with Simulcast Digital Distortion and SSDD 'proprietary Moto Solution's LSM'. (While the current BCDx36HP Series - The RadioReference Wiki do carry better narrowing filters it still hasn't absolved scanner listeners problems with such problematic systems)

Last edited:

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Even if a new scanner comes out, the 536 is a very good scanner capable of receiving nearly everything. The only exception is NXDN. If Whistler is making noises about NXDN being available in the future, you know Uniden won't stand idle.

Unfortunately we typically don't get advance notice of new scanner models until just before they are "out there". Manufacturers don't like to telegraph future intentions to competitors.

k3fs

Even if a new scanner comes out, the 536 is a very good scanner capable of receiving nearly everything. The only exception is NXDN. If Whistler is making noises about NXDN being available in the future, you know Uniden won't stand idle.

Unfortunately we typically don't get advance notice of new scanner models until just before they are "out there". Manufacturers don't like to telegraph future intentions to competitors.

Competitors have already announced their intention to release NXDN in the next few months.

Status
Not open for further replies.