RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners, Receivers and Related Equipment Forums > Uniden Forums > Uniden Prospective Owners

Uniden Prospective Owners - A discussion area for those interested in purchasing specific models and have questions about them.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-18-2018, 9:23 AM
Uniden Representative
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue5011 View Post
Obviously you are not familiar w/ the Minnesota ARMER system and how it is arranged on a Home Patrol-type scanner.
Wanna bet?

For better help, tell us specifically what you are trying to scan.
Sponsored links
Old 01-18-2018, 9:31 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPMan View Post
Wanna bet?

I'll take that bet as well - and bet that Jon, UPMAN, Myself and a big handfull of others have a pretty good understanding of how ANY statewide, multi-site system works.

Old 01-18-2018, 2:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue5011 View Post
Why is my advice *bad* and yours **good**?
You've made it clear in your posts that you don't understand how scanning trunked systems works. You're under the mistaken impression that talkgroups are scanned, when they are not, and have jumped to the erroneous confusion that having a lot of programmed talkgroups slows down scanning. It does not. The only thing factor has any effect whatsoever on the speed at which a trunked system is scanned is the number of system sites the scanner attempts to scan. Period. If you use Location Control properly, the scanner will only scan nearby sites, and will not be "cycling thru every know agency in MN" as you incorrectly stated.

Quote:
I am stating what my experience has been w/ HP scanners and software. Lookup the Minnesota ARMER system once, and look where the Faribault County and various local cities are scattered in the software.
You don't even own one; by your own admission, your "experience" consists of a few failed attempts to help someone else program theirs, which gives you pretty much zero basis to have an opinion. In contrast, UPMan is a Uniden project manager involved in the development and support of Uniden's scanner products, and knows more about Uniden scanners and how to use them that pretty much anyone else. And I and several others own x36 scanners and have years of experience programming them successfully with large statewide and multistate trunked systems similar to ARMER in every respect--most particularly, lots of sites, lots of departments, and lots of talkgroups.
Old 01-18-2018, 3:55 PM

Quote:
Wanna bet?

LOL

Some people apparently just cannot be helped.

Mark
536/436/ws1095/996p2/996xt/325p2/396xt/psr800/396t/HP-1/HP-2 & others
Old 01-20-2018, 11:34 PM

I'll grab one just because it's different.
Sponsored links
Old 03-10-2018, 3:53 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Wanna bet?

I'm dead!

https://imgur.com/a/QWNzW
Old 05-03-2018, 1:07 PM

Smile Hey folks

I have had a Uniden BearTracker 885 for 2 months. It is great!!! I am a Firefighter/EMT in Northern Idaho and I have to say, this radio seems to be a great buy. I can get local Public Safety channels as well as the area. I was listening to a agency that is over 50 miles away from my location and in the mountains and still got good reception. Very pleased with radio.
Old 05-03-2018, 8:53 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRC4777 View Post
I have had a Uniden BearTracker 885 for 2 months. It is great!!! I am a Firefighter/EMT in Northern Idaho and I have to say, this radio seems to be a great buy. I can get local Public Safety channels as well as the area. I was listening to a agency that is over 50 miles away from my location and in the mountains and still got good reception. Very pleased with radio.
Welcome from FAR North Idaho, Also a FF/EMT.
Old 07-12-2018, 7:39 AM

Question

What happens when an encrypted channel is encountered? I spent a lot of time in Toronto. All the city police are encrypted but the Ontario provincial police are not. If I have the police active on the 885 will it stop on every encrypted transmission or are encrypted talkgroups locked out? Thank you!
Old 07-12-2018, 7:58 AM

It will stay for a bit, then move on. You can use Function/Avoid to block the channel. But, once you power the radio off, then on again, the avoids are gone.
Trucker
Old 07-12-2018, 1:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trucker700 View Post
It will stay for a bit, then move on. You can use Function/Avoid to block the channel. But, once you power the radio off, then on again, the avoids are gone.
Trucker

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-12-2018, 2:18 PM

One more question. If a frequency or talkgroup is marked as encrypted in the RR database does that frequency or talkgroup get placed on the database in the scanner or are they omitted?

Old 07-13-2018, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac8dg View Post
Yes Sentinel version 01_07_05 will open the sd card database and update just like the "updater" program. I have been able to apply the 'avoid' field then write to scanner sd card which appears to 'permanently' place the object on the avoid list.

Has anyone thought about opening the files in Butel ARC536? I briefly played with it this morning and found that list 109 hpd is Ontario Canada and was able to set lockouts. When I have more time Iíll try changing certain tac talkgroup to dispatch and see if itíll take.

Old 07-13-2018, 9:40 PM

So I've been using the 885 around Niagara NY and it does a fantastic job. I have an NMO Larsen 150/450/850 SPECIAL on my trunk so that helps. I had to reroute the cable for the antenna because it used to run to my console for my BCD436HP. The audio on the 885 is crisp and clear. Digital comms sound fantastic on the Niagara County Simulcast system.

I tried to edit individual hpd files in Butel ARC536 and the editing was successful. However, when I put the modified card back int o the scanner it wouldn't pick up any transmissions. When I used the factor uploader it worked like a charm. What I tried to do was change some law tac and law tac talkgroups to law dispatch so they can be heard. I was able to do it and able to save it. I don't understand WHY once edited that the scanner didn;t hit on anything.

I'm open to suggestions and ideas. I'm determined to get this to work one way or another. Don't misunderstand me. This radio does exactly what I want on road trips (driving to South Florida next Friday) I just want to be able to permanently lock out talkgroups/frequencies and perhaps change the service tag for them as well.

If I don't hear anything here by next week I'll start a new thread.